Berated by Opposing goalie for being "too good"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berated by Opposing goalie for being "too good"

Last night after my league game, I had one of the wierdest experiences for my life. I play in an over-45 draft league (over 40 for goalies) and I will be 41 in a few weeks. It's not the best hockey since they had to merge the A and B divisions this year, but it is twice a week, free for goalies and the main rink is 7min from my house, so I enjoy playing in it.
    The other team had a goalie I had not seen before (maybe a sub) and my team won 2-1, in part because I made 19 saves on 20 shots including a couple of stellar ones.
    In hall on the way to the locker room, the other goalie starts yelling down the hall to me "what are you doing in this league a-hole. Why don't you play with the 90 year olds" and stuff like that. I looked at my teammates thinking he must be kidding, but I said something like "are you serious?" and he went on an on. When our locker room was open I said (looking at his Vic pads) "I think I'm younger than those pads though".
    On the way to my car, I happened to follow this guy out of the arena and ask him if he was finished whining yet, thinking he was just kidding and would say "nice game", but he kept going on.... that "he was 50 years old" and "you shouldn't be in this league"...blah blah blah. Of course we happened to be parked right next to eachother. I told him I was the top draft in this league and I work hard on my game, but he just kept on going. I was waiting (sort of hoping) for him to threaten me, but just kept bitching until he got in his car and flipping me the bird as he left. I just stared him down, sort of in disbelief.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

cant say i have. Funny story though. People are just stupid

Comment

never heard of that before... it didnt occur to you to tell the guy to act like he belonged in a 45+ league?

Comment

Did you explain to him that you were an eligible age to play in the league? I'm confused as to why he was so upset.

Comment

So he was telling you to play in an older league because you were too good? I am confused.

Comment

Sounds like a classic case of sore loser... I'd take it as a compliment that your were able to get so under a guys skin with your goaltending and just leave it at that.. He was probably an only child that had everything handed to him his whole life including his Vic pads, so he doesn't know how to accept that sometimes things just are out of his control..

Comment

Originally posted by Spud387 View Post
              So he was telling you to play in an older league because you were too good? I am confused.
              Same here, but I will say sometimes you just have to discount people as being jerks and move on with your life, don't let them affect you or bring you down.

Regardless of age, are you playing at the appropriate level for your skill?

I hate playing in levels below my skill, currently I am just because it's a team with all my friends on it, but it is very easy for me. I lead the league in most all stat categories. But we are not the best team. The best team in the league has more highly skilled skaters and for the past couple seasons I haven't been able to carry us to a championship.

I also play at a higher level and enjoy it so much more, not only is it challenging and making me better, but I find that I almost play better sometimes because I can read the shooter more. At the lower level some of the shooters don't have a clue, like on breakaways, it's hard to predict where the shooter is going, if even he doesn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksv1
                Berated by Opposing goalie for being "too good"
                Unfortunately you too have found out that there's also a burden that comes with being "good"..
                Last edited by JHanson; 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spud387 View Post
                  He was being sarcastic about the "90 year olds". He must have been a sub because I have never seen him before. It was really wierd...he didn't care what I had to say anyway. Lots of swearing from both of us, but he didn't go after me although I was ready. He didn't make me angry, just confused.

Comment

Originally posted by way2fast91 View Post
                    Same here, but I will say sometimes you just have to discount people as being jerks and move on with your life, don't let them affect you or bring you down.

Regardless of age, are you playing at the appropriate level for your skill?

I hate playing in levels below my skill, currently I am just because it's a team with all my friends on it, but it is very easy for me. I lead the league in most all stat categories. But we are not the best team. The best team in the league has more highly skilled skaters and for the past couple seasons I haven't been able to carry us to a championship.

I also play at a higher level and enjoy it so much more, not only is it challenging and making me better, but I find that I almost play better sometimes because I can read the shooter more. At the lower level some of the shooters don't have a clue, like on breakaways, it's hard to predict where the shooter is going, if even he doesn't know.
                    Like I said, I play for free and it's close to my house. Last year it was divided into A & B divisions and was much better, but lots of guys had to drop out likely for financial reasons so they were forced to combine just to get 7 teams. I sub alot too and play a high level drop in with college and junior A guys sometimes as well and have no trouble staying up with them. It's enough for me. There are 1 or 2 snipers on every team in my league and I've only had 3 shutouts in 29 games this year. I get plenty of breakways too.

Comment

I still don't get what this guy is crying about. He's complaining because you're "too old" (or at least he thinks you're older than whatever he thinks is appropriate). I could see if he thought you were in your early 30s or something, than it would be a problem worth complaining about. But really, he's crying because he lost to a goalie to he thinks is too old to play? What a loser.

I hope you see this guy again and beat him again on the ice. Victory is the best revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by icepop View Post
                        I still don't get what this guy is crying about. He's complaining because you're "too old" (or at least he thinks you're older than whatever he thinks is appropriate). I could see if he thought you were in your early 30s or something, than it would be a problem worth complaining about. But really, he's crying because he lost to a goalie to he thinks is too old to play? What a loser.

I hope you see this guy again and beat him again on the ice. Victory is the best revenge.
                        I guess you're missing the point. My league is a draft league: over-45 for players and over-40 for goalies. I will be 41 soon and this guy was 50. This is my second season in this league and he was just bitching because he was outplayed I guess or he thinks I am younger than my age and should not be allowed to play.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksv1 View Post
                          I guess you're missing the point. My league is a draft league: over-45 for players and over-40 for goalies. I will be 41 soon and this guy was 50. This is my second season in this league and he was just bitching because he was outplayed I guess or he thinks I am younger than my age and should not be allowed to play.
                          Ahh, ok, I got it. I'm a dummy today. Anyway, he's still a crybaby. You're over 40 and it's over 40's for goalies, big deal. Like I said, it's not like you're in your 30s or something.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksv1 View Post
                            I kind of had the same incident here once.
                            One of my high school coaches asked if I wanted to fill in for their adult-A league game here in Fort Collins. I said yes, because they simply needed a goalie and I was 16 at the time so I thought it would be cool to try out beer league.
                            I came with the mentality that I needed to stop everything and to be on top of my game.
                            Once I got in the locker room they told me that I'm 18 if anyone asks. They said to just take it easy and have fun. They will play good defense so I won't have to worry. Which they did.
                            Needless to say, we won 5-0. I had 25 EASY shots on me. BUT, my travel team goalie coach was the other goalie. He decided to tell the league "officials" on me. The only problem was that the guy who is taking care of the league, was one of the guys who was on my team. So nothing happened. I was just amazed at my goalie coach, who I decided to never go to another goalie practice with again.

I'd just laugh this off and it seems like you took care of it in a great way. Hell, it's a compliment, man! Great game and just tell the guy to relax next time. Maybe go up to him next time you see him; shake his hand and tell him that you forgot to tell him that he had a great game. That will leave him speechless and make him feel like an idiot. I've done that a couple times and it's great to see the persons face after you've done that

Comment

I loved the crack about his Vic pads.

Outstanding!

Comment

Working...
                              X