X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for sample bike routines

I am currently riding the stationary bike almost everyday. I have combined this with my body weight exercise and I have had excellent results in terms of improving my physical conditioning for playing hockey and in general. (read: working Dad with limited time for training).

I have been doing interval training on a spin bike where by I alternate between high tension and low tension and high rpm and moderate rpm. My bike is a high end spinning bike but only has a tension brake not a gear selection like the commercial grade bikes.
    The routine I do is just something I came up with myself since I have never done a spinning class (no time) and I really can't find anything on line that could apply. The samples I have found use gear selection references and cadences and I am not sure how to apply that with my bike. What I have been doing is getting too easy as my conditioning continues to improve.

So what I am looking for is examples of spinning routines that I could use to continue to keep it challenging. I am looking not too much for specifics but examples of different types of intervals they use in the classes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this is spinning or not, but I put the bike on about medium in terms of tension on the fly wheel.

then I warm up for about 2 min at a steady pace.

Then sprint for 1 min

steady pace for 1 min

I do that for about 15 min then a 2 min cool down.

Comment

spinning ideas...

Try playing some music... make a cd with some stuff you like that gets you pummped. Also try jumps... I think thats what they call em... You pedal seated for a count with the music say an 8 count then standing for an 8 count then 3/4 position for 8 and back to seated.

another thing to do is the one leg deal where the right leg does all the work and left coasts then alternate...

a class is really the way to go though it helps to have all the chicks around to impress!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
        Not sure if this is spinning or not, but I put the bike on about medium in terms of tension on the fly wheel.

then I warm up for about 2 min at a steady pace.

Then sprint for 1 min

steady pace for 1 min

I do that for about 15 min then a 2 min cool down.
        You have to be in really good shape to be able to sprint for one minute.
        Start out with a 15 second sprint. Recover to the base heartrate (you'll need a heart rate monitor to do it right) before starting another sprint. Do 4 or 5 sprints per session. After 3-4 months of training, try Spidey's workout.
        I would ride while watching a game. I'd pick out the numbers of players on two differrent lines and sprint for as long as they are on the ice. Real good, fun workout.

Comment

Originally posted by profly_coach View Post
          You have to be in really good shape to be able to sprint for one minute.
          Start out with a 15 second sprint. Recover to the base heartrate (you'll need a heart rate monitor to do it right) before starting another sprint. Do 4 or 5 sprints per session. After 3-4 months of training, try Spidey's workout.
          I would ride while watching a game. I'd pick out the numbers of players on two differrent lines and sprint for as long as they are on the ice. Real good, fun workout.
          The key is to keep the tension on the bike low

Now that I re-read that, I do 1 min sprint 1.5 to 2 min steady.

Comment

I do it at the end of my workout when I want to go, so I usually do 30 seconds sprint, 30 seconds steady for five minutes. And then a one-two minute cool down at a low pace.

Comment

Bike...

Here is my routine- Start off the first 5 min. spinning with the lowest resistance at the highest RPM.Then when the timer hits 5 min. crank up the resistanceas as much as you can take for 1 min. Try not to let RPM's drop.Your legs should be burning at the end of the 1 min. lactic build up .Then back down the resistance for another 5 min. of spinning,then another 1min. at high resistance etc...On the bike for a total of 26 mins.Then on to lower body workout...

Comment

Thanks for the reply's so far; unfortunately I am already at a more advanced level than the suggestions; here is what I am doing:

3 min low resistance, mid rpm or candence then 2 min high resistance high rpm.

I repeat this set 8 times. I stand up off the seat during the 2 min sprints. This routine takes 40 minutes plus I add a 5 minute cool down at the end.
                The problem is that this is getting easier as I get in better shape. I thought about adding more sets but I am not sure that that is a productive solution.

I am looking for some different variations to keep up the muscle confusion factor

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comment

A good 20 min routine:

3 min warm-up at "level 4" (whatever is a nice, easy pace).
                  1 min at level 5
                  1 min at level 6
                  1 min at level 7
                  1 min at level 8
                  1 min at level 5
                  1 min at level 6
                  1 min at level 7
                  1 min at level 8
                  1 min at level 5
                  1 min at level 6
                  1 min at level 7
                  1 min at level 8
                  1 min at level 9
                  1 min at level 10
                  3 min cool-downat level 4.

try to keep a pretty steady cadence.

tough to do with a spin bike, however.

Another good one is to put the bike in front of the TV, turn on the game, keep a good cadence at a mid-range tension throughout the period, and sprint during the commercials. Gives a nice 30-50 min ride, with usually about 3-4 20-30 second sprints... and you get to watch the game!

Do some stretching after as well... the hip flexors get really tight on the bike.

Comment

Working...
                  X