X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groin Injury...Acupuncture?

This past March I tore my groin in a game, and tried to play through it on the next whistle immediately after I did it, which was a retarhted idea, so as you can imagine, I totally F-ed it up. I have been to Physical Therapy, so now I want to know, should I try acupunture? Anybody have any experience with it?

How's your PT going? What do you want acupuncture to do for you? Do you hope it will make your tendon heal faster?

Comment

From what I've hear the scientific explanation for accupuncture is this. That because you have needles sticking in you, your body reacts by releasing natural pain killers, endomorphine, etc... Thus reducing pain. The article even said that against what they want you to think that it doesn't matter where you're poked, it will have the same effect. I doubt it would make anything heal faster... But I'm no expert...

Comment

I did a trial acupuncture combined with an electro stim as part of an medical experiement at the U of MN when I was a student. I don't know if I healed faster; what I do know is that I got some pain relief and I didn't have to take relaxers and narcotics for pain control.

Comment

I don't know what you expect from the acupuncture, but it won't be a quick miracle cure. Have you been stretching or working out since the injury? If yes, why?

Comment

I'm no doctor, but I've been told that if you respond well to acupuncture it will speed up healing.

It doesn't work for everyone, but I had a terrible hamstring pull that acupuncture did wonders for.

Comment

Earlier this year I had a Grade 2 tear to my groin. Did you hear yours pop like I did? I never tried Acupuncture but if it will help with the pain then why not, give it a shot. Basically there is nothing you can do until the muscle fibers begin to heal and once that happens you can start to strengthen it again. PT for me was a joke. I had better results going to the gym and working it out myself. All those leg machines that you always see the girls on are the ones you should be using

How big was your bruise? Mine started at my upper inner thigh and went all the way down to the inside of my knee...Nasty!! Hope your recovery goes well...good luck

Comment

Originally posted by NYInk
                Earlier this year I had a Grade 2 tear to my groin. Did you hear yours pop like I did? I never tried Acupuncture but if it will help with the pain then why not, give it a shot. Basically there is nothing you can do until the muscle fibers begin to heal and once that happens you can start to strengthen it again. PT for me was a joke. I had better results going to the gym and working it out myself. All those leg machines that you always see the girls on are the ones you should be using

How big was your bruise? Mine started at my upper inner thigh and went all the way down to the inside of my knee...Nasty!! Hope your recovery goes well...good luck
                I feel for groin guys and gals. I tore mine again 10 days a go and I am in PT. I'll give my two cents. Torn groins last year, PT for 3 months:iontopheres stim, with a steroid-excellent, exercises prescribed and did those for months and made it through the season. Thought I had it made starting this year after all the pre season weights and "groin specific" exercises. WRONG!!! PT at differenct location with an outstanding experienced professional: ionto stim/steroid, ultrasound, pool rehab (88 degree water) stretches, and strenghtening while in pool, program for the gym(many ad and ab ductor exercises-girl machines or goalie machines) and the hardest of all..specific stretches for groin, hip flexors, hamstrings(5-6 times per day!!!- I do work 50 hrs a week), add in some specific goalie position weighted stretches(own weight), and now you have something. I'm allowed to play once a week, provided I warm up and stretch for 20+ minutes before going out on the ice to stretch. Difficult, difficult, RESULTS-I'M 39, and if I can do it anyone can. (bruising all the way to knee, and groin muscle/tendon, swelled all the way through skin-stretch marks, popping sounds all time, etc.) I'm only on week two, but she repeats this over and over again-Sid, "a stretched muscle is a strong muscle." and hockey strength is not always obtained by lifting weights, but by sport (goalie) specific exercises"
                No opinion on accupuncture, but pain management is all part of the recovery process. Good luck and ask for specific exercises, but a total rehab plan is necessary for maximum results in my experiences.

Psycho Sid (You have to be Psycho to play goal against college players at my age)

Comment

Yeah I heard a pop, and it was a deep pop, and although I tore it to the left, in actuality the pain was in the nutsack.

Comment

Originally posted by TacoBell61
                    Yeah I heard a pop, and it was a deep pop, and although I tore it to the left, in actuality the pain was in the nutsack.
                    Damn dude Sorry to hear that. Mine hurt more in the area where your thigh and pelvic area meet. The nutsack....OUCH!! How's the re-hab going?

Comment

I get a queasy feeling everytime I read one your guys/ girls stories. Anyone find it's a fun injury to talk about in the locker room, at work, with your gf/wife, or with your kids? The women get this wry smirk on their faces because they are thinking "groin" hmmm, and the guys in the locker room are merciless!! Unless they have had one. Then there's the explaining about the muscle, and the therapy, yadda yadda yadda... Anyone with similar meathead(I mean caring) friends and family?

PSYCHO SID

Comment

Originally posted by PSYCHO SID
                        I get a queasy feeling everytime I read one your guys/ girls stories. Anyone find it's a fun injury to talk about in the locker room, at work, with your gf/wife, or with your kids? The women get this wry smirk on their faces because they are thinking "groin" hmmm, and the guys in the locker room are merciless!! Unless they have had one. Then there's the explaining about the muscle, and the therapy, yadda yadda yadda... Anyone with similar meathead(I mean caring) friends and family?

PSYCHO SID
                        Hahaha, I know what you mean Sid. The night it happened I had another goalie tell me "ahh, you'll be fine....there's no bruise." I was like..it just happened a-hole. Needless to say, the next morning I woke up and had THE worst bruise I have ever seen. My g/f also thought I was lying about how much it hurt. She figured I was going to try and milk it for the attention. I guess if you nebver had it happen to you then you just don't know how painful and uncomfortable it is to move that leg. Just getting out of bed or rolling over was difficult in the beginning.

Comment

Hahaha, I know what you mean Sid. The night it happened I had another goalie tell me "ahh, you'll be fine....there's no bruise." I was like..it just happened a-hole. Needless to say, the next morning I woke up and had THE worst bruise I have ever seen. My g/f also thought I was lying about how much it hurt. She figured I was going to try and milk it for the attention. I guess if you nebver had it happen to you then you just don't know how painful and uncomfortable it is to move that leg. Just getting out of bed or rolling over was difficult in the beginning.
                          Lol....My coach came in to the locker room when I did it, and said, "just take two aspirin and you will be fine." The doctor said sort of the same thing, it sounded like this= "Take two aspirin, and DON'T DO CRAP FOR 8 WEEKS." Everyone in the locker room asks me how my groin is. My coach's wife sees me and she goes, "Hey, how's the groin doin'?" I crack up every single time.

Comment

That's funny you guys. My wife tells people at work that I'm in Physical Therapy, and you can guess the next question they ask, for what. She tells them, and they smile and say, boy that sounds like fun. One lady said to her, tell Sid I hope his "LOINS" are doing better!!!
                            Take two aspirin, that's a good one. Tell him to take six needles and shove them up under his leg and then take a large vice grip and squeeze it as tightly as possible at the top part of his leg by his stuff, and ask him, " how are those two aspirin doing for you!"
                            My rehab is going well(pool exercises and stretches, and gym work). Knock on wood. My PT makes me stretch for 20 minutes before I play, around doing some cardio to get a light sweat. A lot of work before adult hockey, but with the program I'm on, it's working. Still very painful on recovery with my right leg, but flexibility is tremendous, for me.

Psycho Sid and his LOINS

Comment

Originally posted by PSYCHO SID
                              That's funny you guys. My wife tells people at work that I'm in Physical Therapy, and you can guess the next question they ask, for what. She tells them, and they smile and say, boy that sounds like fun. One lady said to her, tell Sid I hope his "LOINS" are doing better!!!
                              Take two aspirin, that's a good one. Tell him to take six needles and shove them up under his leg and then take a large vice grip and squeeze it as tightly as possible at the top part of his leg by his stuff, and ask him, " how are those two aspirin doing for you!"
                              My rehab is going well(pool exercises and stretches, and gym work). Knock on wood. My PT makes me stretch for 20 minutes before I play, around doing some cardio to get a light sweat. A lot of work before adult hockey, but with the program I'm on, it's working. Still very painful on recovery with my right leg, but flexibility is tremendous, for me.

Psycho Sid and his LOINS
                              Too funny....It sort of turns girls off to tell them you have a groin injury, so I always refer to it as a "leg" injury.

Comment

Working...
                              X