X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle Drills

Does anyone out there have some angle drills that I can practice to make sure my angles are getting better or correcting what is wrong with them now. Thanks

GQBoy,

Try this. It was demonstrated to me at goalie camp about 25 years ago. Get a friend and a length of rope (30-40 ft. if possible). Tie each end to a goalpost. Stand in the net while your friend pulls the rope taut. As your friend moves the rope around, you should move with him trying to stay centered on the puck. This will also show you how moving out to cut down the angle really impacts what the shooter has to look at.
    I hope this helps. Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by jay (edited November 02, 1999).]

Comment

I keep hearing how good that rope drill is, but I've never done that. I'm gonna go out into the rink tomorrow morning and do it. I went before, but my girlfriend is Chinese and CAN NOT SKATE. So, she couldn't really move around as a forward might... ya know?

Another good one for angles is to start deeper in the net. I stay at the center of the crease until I'm pretty sure when and where a shot is coming from, then I take a hard skate out and continue to drift into the shot. That little extra drift really helps because all the skater sees is a goalie getting bigger and bigger. He rushes the shot and usually misses the net because that corner shot he was planning to shot at just got real small.

As soon as I come out of the net to early and start drifitng around outside the crease, I start to misplay my angles, and that's when you give up the easy goals (you know, the ones that make you wanna give up goaltending forever.)

AB

Comment

Aaron, are you saying that Chinese people can't skate?

Comment

I'll have you know that I'm Chinese...and I CAN skate. My girlfriend is also Chinese...and SHE can skate...don't make me come over there, Bleasdale...

Comment

I'd like to add a little stipend to that last CHINESE PEOPLE CAN'T SKATE comment.

I'm currently living in Taiwan (a tropical country.) There is only one rink in the whole country, and no ice anywhere on the island outside of it. So, the chinese people that I see every day definitely cannot skate.

My apologies to anyone who may have been offended, and my apologies to chinese everywhere. (No need to "come over"!)

AB

Comment

What are you doing Taiwan, Bleasdale? My parents may have never taken me to Taiwan (and I don't want to go anyway), but I'm damn sure Bleasdale isn't a Chinese name...

Comment

Teaching and studying chinese.

I moved here and found that I just so happen to live 3 minutes away from the island's only rink. What a hoot.

P.S.- Bleasdale is not a Chinese name, correct. Welsh roots meaning, "bleak" "dale"

Comment

Ouch blease, so who do you play Blease? Do they have ESPN or Center Ice so you can watch hockey or are you stuck with internet feeds?

Comment

There are a lot of ex-patriots over here that get their gear shipped over and we play with them. The level of hockey is actually quite good some nights, but one day I'll return to Canada, and hopefully the skills I've learned over here (I've only been playing a little more than a year) will make me able to play at potentially higher levels back home. I'd like to play goalie until I'm too old to play goalie... if ya know what I mean.

AB

Comment

The rope drill mentioned in an earlier reply is a good one, I used it myself when I was younger, and have used it wth the goalies I coach now. Another good drill is to identify various landmarks, such as hashmarks, faceoff circles(the two in your own zone plus center ice), and move from spot to spot using the shuffle, keeping yourself centered on each spot. It is even better if you have a coach or teammate follow you as you move around the crease to make sure you are centered on each landmark.

This drill will help you develop a sense of your position in the net without turning around, which is important when an opponent has the puck in your zone and you cannot take you eye off it. Practice this drill as often as you can along with the rope drill, and you will notice an improvement in your positioning. Good luck!

Comment

You should'nt use the landmark theory b/c not all rinks are the same size and the beginner goalie will be too worried about how much open net there is. A better system would be to stand in the middle of the net and with the stick draw the crease with your goal stick on the ice. (Not all crease are the right size) Then Telescope out to the side of the crease and shuffle your feet along the crease. It should take 5 shuffles to go along the half circle. This way you know if your square to the person at that angle.

Comment

ryeno,

I think you misunderstand what the purpose of using landmarks on the ice is for. What it teaches is to center you body on a particular point(which would be the puck in a game situation), which in turn results in staying centered between the posts. Yes, not all rinks and creases are the same size, but this does not matter. The key to this drill is to learn to identify where you are in relation to the puck and the net.

Comment

Working...
                          X