Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can leg pads slide TOO well for hybrid goalies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can leg pads slide TOO well for hybrid goalies?

I currently have soft pads but I'm considering buying butterfly style pads even though I have a hybrid style. I was thinking tonight, since I come out and challenge and cut down the angles, I have a further distance to travel when the puck is passed from side to side in front of me than a goalie who stays back more. In order to be in position on time, I need to move faster than that goalie. By the time I t-push and then drop into butterfly, I may not want my pads to slide too well because I'll slide past the optimal position. Does my logic make sense? Can pads that slide too well be bad for a 5'10" hybrid goalie like me?
    Last edited by Mattio; 01-20-2017, 03:04 AM.

It is all personal preference regardless of the style you play. Hiller had nylon on his knee wings to slow his sliding down.

Comment

Haha, ya I get that. Thanks! I don't know what my preference is because I've never worn pads that slide better. Trying to figure out if I want to make a few modifications to my existing Bauer Reactors or buy Warrior G3's. I'm leaning towards modifying the Reactors. I have an idea of a way to make a "profile lock" on them and also add a bigger landing block... If so, there will be a thread to come, call them MattioGT's! haha

Comment

I play a very similar style to you. I'm 5'10" and have to come out and challenge to cut the angles because I don't have the reflexes to just react to shots. I just bought a set of Brian's G-Netiks that slide A LOT more than my previous pads to the point that I'll slide further than I want. You just have to learn to use your leading leg to stop where you want. It's only been in the last couple of months that I've begun to butterfly slide with any success and only since I got the Brian's have I had to concern myself with stopping. My old pads were Vaughn V5 7800's and they gripped the ice pretty good. I could still slide with them but not very far to ending up out of position was never a problem.

Comment

• Mattio
          Mattio commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing. That doesn't sound like an ideal situation. If you use your leading leg to stop sliding, does that hamper you in any way? I feel like trying to stop and then making a pad save in rapid succession would be tricky sometimes.

Originally posted by Mattio View Post
        Haha, ya I get that. Thanks! I don't know what my preference is because I've never worn pads that slide better. Trying to figure out if I want to make a few modifications to my existing Bauer Reactors or buy Warrior G3's. I'm leaning towards modifying the Reactors. I have an idea of a way to make a "profile lock" on them and also add a bigger landing block... If so, there will be a thread to come, call them MattioGT's! haha
        Which Reactors do you have now?

Comment

Reactors are 4000x

Comment

When I slide over it's usually in anticipation of a one timer, in which case it doesn't really matter where I stop because the pass across is faster than I am. But when I've overslid it's because I've been desperate to get to the other side of the crease and don't realize that I have time to stop. It's not too tricky once you get used to stopping, because you're lifting your leading leg just enough to stop and then quickly dropping it down again. Once you get used to doing it, it becomes automatic and you don't even think about doing it. Same as with butterfly slides. It's only been recently for me that I've been able to push to the other side with out thinking, 'ok, I have to load my leg, shift weight, push.' Now I just do it without thinking about it. And the length of your slides also depends on how hard you push off. So that might play into it too.

Comment

For those of us that only play beer league and are allowed to use them, Over-drive blades really help with this. I can just turn my skate a bit towards the toe and engage the OD blade to stop my slide, vs having to engage the skate blade.

Comment

Originally posted by parebele View Post
                When I slide over it's usually in anticipation of a one timer, in which case it doesn't really matter where I stop because the pass across is faster than I am. But when I've overslid it's because I've been desperate to get to the other side of the crease and don't realize that I have time to stop. It's not too tricky once you get used to stopping, because you're lifting your leading leg just enough to stop and then quickly dropping it down again. Once you get used to doing it, it becomes automatic and you don't even think about doing it. Same as with butterfly slides. It's only been recently for me that I've been able to push to the other side with out thinking, 'ok, I have to load my leg, shift weight, push.' Now I just do it without thinking about it. And the length of your slides also depends on how hard you push off. So that might play into it too.
                I have Brian's Gnetik 5.5 and yes, they slide very well too. I've been burned coming across when the shooter hesitated or mishandled the puck and just slid it past me to far post. If they had just slammed a one timer I'd have been there for the save.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Because of this (and helped by financial considerations), I've decided to modify my Reactor 4000x's for now. I've been looking at my game more under the microscope lately and realizing how I truly am a hybrid goalie. I always try to get in position on my skates before going down into butterfly. My ability to read the play far outranks most of my other abilities. If I do a butterfly slide it's usually at the last millisecond and therefore, I don't need to slide as far. I already started the mods. Thread to come. However, I have to admit that when the Warrior GT comes out I will probably be following reviews on those leg pads closely.

Comment

Ok, so I faced some former Brown University captain and other alumni tonight and it gave me some new perspective. It was 4 on 4 and there were a lot of breakaways and 2 on 1's. These guys were dangling half the time on breakaways and I found that I wanted to go down into butterfly earlier than I should and they would get around me. So then I stayed up in my stance longer and when I did drop down they were in close and going into butterfly slide momentarily created a giant 5-hole for them to just slide it along the ice (which they did). If I had a pad that slid better, it might be easier to drop earlier and slide to the post. I wouldn't get beat unless I guessed wrong on which side and they wouldn't be so close in to take advantage of the transition to butterfly. Maybe my current pads are forcing my style in some ways.

Comment

If you mean the current Reactor line then they should already be built to be able to slide. Are you talking about the original Reactor line from the 90s?

Comment

Originally posted by SrSieve View Post
                        For those of us that only play beer league and are allowed to use them, Over-drive blades really help with this. I can just turn my skate a bit towards the toe and engage the OD blade to stop my slide, vs having to engage the skate blade.
                        I was wondering the other day if anyone still used those

Comment

Working...
                        X