No announcement yet.

IS this what it feels like to be DONE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS this what it feels like to be DONE?

Hi, looking for some ideas. I will be 43 in a few months. Been playing year round for the last 15 years or so, beer league, pickup etc, 2 to 3x per week. Always been good, decent, finished first last few years. For the past month, it's like everything hurts. Stiff hips, stiff knees. I go down, and it's like Im in cement. Been letting up lots of goals (team has sucked) but I am not having fun because I feel so stiff.
    Is this recoverable with weight loss and stretching? More I can do? Hang em up? Just have to work harder and lose weight? I am 5 10 205, every year I try to get down to 195 but never happens.

Losing weight is always good. As we agi the key is to recover as much as possible between skates. Stretch a **** ton, even better follow all of Maria Mountains advice for goalies:

http://www.goalietrainingpro.com/

Comment

I don't think you have to hang them up. I'm 43 too but have only been playing for about 1 1/2 years. Had to take 30 years off because of a disease in my knees. I'm the same height as you weigh about 5 lbs less (that might not be true due to the holiday food and alcohol I've consumed) and currently play 3 to 5 times a week.

Maybe you might have to change your style a little bit. I'm not that stretchy/bendy and have a narrow butterfly that doesn't put any strain on my knees and hips. I also have to skate out more to cut the angles, which puts me out of position sometimes, but what can I do. My butterfly slides are getting better but I know I'll never be Carey Price. What do you for exercise/fitness in between games? LIke cwarnar says, weight loss is always good but as we get older it's tougher and tougher to lose and some people just have wonky body shapes (I'm one of them). I just stretch and hit the treadmill between games just to keep my endurance up.

At some point we all have to accept that we can't do what we want to do, at the level we want to do it, but you definitely don't have to hang them up IMO. Maybe taking some time off might help. Give your body a rest and see what happens? Maybe play less per week? Do what cwarnar says and see what happens.

Comment

Holy crap. I'm 50 and 6'3" 230lbs, spent 21 years in the army pounding the crap pit of my body and playing hockey there too. Ibuprofen is the key as we learned there. LOL
        Seriously though stress on your body and joints takes its toll, I've been playing goal since i was 7 and other than serious injuries such as torn ACLs and broken pelvis I haven't taken anytime off from hockey. Had to quit running though it hurst worse as it compounds joint injuries.
        I feel better right after games than I do a few hours later most nights

Comment

I'm 45 and playing maybe some of my best hockey. I've been focusing on eating right, and making sure not to play too many consecutive days in a row. Basically 2x on ice per week, and summers off. Well, in the summer just some conditioning 1x per week to stay in shape a little.

Comment

I wouldn't say you're done - just getting older. I'm 46 and I usually play 3-5 games per week, some are league games and some are pickup. As such I regularly get stiff joints and aches and pains after I play. I've tried to adapt to these things by stretching more for longer periods before games. I also bought some lighter goalie pads off Craigslist as an attempt to help lessen the extra weight strapped to my legs. When the aches are a bit much I take a week or so off, or a opt to play less games.

Comment

Thanks guys, I have been using Fitness Blender for free on youtube since this original post. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lender+stretch Fits the bill perfectly for stretching. I also loosened my knee locks and pads a bit which helped me not to feel so cement like when I drop.

Comment

51 here, playing 3-4x a week. The only thing I really notice now is recovery takes longer. If I have a really high octane night the next night my legs are maybe 90% at best.
                Certainly the joints hurt a bit more occasionally. But keep your legs and your core strong and flexible and that makes a world of difference. Can't recommend Yoga enough if you've never tried that I highly recommend. If you have the gumption p90x is awesome for overall fitness. I played some of my best hockey after doing a round of that.

Comment

You're done. Donate gear to a board moderator.

Comment

I am 49, 5'10" and around 190. I was up to about 200 this fall and dropped almost 10 lbs. I can tell a big difference in my stamina and quickness during games and feel better the next day as well. I used the Livestrong Food & Fitness tracking app (free) to keep track of what I eat, etc. It is the only way that works for me. I have done this other years and have dropped anywhere from 10-25 lbs at around 1 lb per week. Without keeping track, I think I am doing good, but end up staying the same or gaining slightly. There are many other Apps like it, so take your pick. Most foods are already in the library with calorie counts, etc, so it only takes a few seconds to record any given meal. If it is not listed, I just pick something close and go with it. Doesn't have to be perfect.

The other thing I would check is your toe-ties, or better yet, ditch them for something flexible. I made my own bungee ties using the small bungees from home depot (with the small brass hooks on them) and my knees and hips have been MUCH better since. My movement during games improved as well. A 50 yr old goalie in my league has always used "normal" lace ties with no slack and is now on his second hip surgery, and has had knee issues as well. I am convinced the toe ties had something to do with it.

Comment

I am 63 years old .Went through the same feelings. Started yoga over 10 years ago . Almost all of those aches and pains post playing went away. I would also recommend taking some time off during the summers. In my case hockey and motorcycles do not go together comfortably

Comment

Following up, I got over it. Really like it always has been. We always want to think that we can skip the details and still play the same but you can't. After watching Tom Brady do it again I feel like I can go forever!

Comment

Working...
                        X