Compensation For Injured Glove Hand Shoulder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation For Injured Glove Hand Shoulder

I have one to two partial tears in my glove hand shoulder and have been cleared, by my Ortho, to finish out my current season before getting an MRI and possible surgery. I can make most glove saves without pain, but certain far reaching saves hurt. One idea I had was to cheat a little towards my glove side, giving up more space on my blocker side to reduce the chance I have to make far reaching glove saves. However, that opens it's own can of worms.

Are there any recommendations other than cheating a little to my glove side to reduce the chances of having to make a far reaching save? Thanks.

First thing I thought of

Comment

Haha, that did cross my mind. Wasn't it Blackburn on the Rangers who ended up testing that out one of his last seasons because of his shoulder injury?

Comment

Originally posted by RollerGoalie30 View Post
        I have one to two partial tears in my glove hand shoulder and have been cleared, by my Ortho, to finish out my current season before getting an MRI and possible surgery. I can make most glove saves without pain, but certain far reaching saves hurt. One idea I had was to cheat a little towards my glove side, giving up more space on my blocker side to reduce the chance I have to make far reaching glove saves. However, that opens it's own can of worms.
        Are there any recommendations other than cheating a little to my glove side to reduce the chances of having to make a far reaching save? Thanks.
        Isn't that a bit like the doctor telling you to stay out of those joints?

Sounds to me like it is time to talk to your doctor about getting evaluated by a sports PT and maybe some rotator cuff strengthening exercises.

Comment

I have been evaluated by a Chriopractor, Massage Therapist, Physical Therapist and Orthopedic Surgeon. The Ortho said whether I do the surgery now or at the end of the season, this April, he will still have to perform the same surgery and the recovery is the same. That is why he is okay with me to continue playing for the next few months. It is a good idea to get a list of exercises to possible help the injured area.

Comment

Originally posted by RollerGoalie30 View Post
            Haha, that did cross my mind. Wasn't it Blackburn on the Rangers who ended up testing that out one of his last seasons because of his shoulder injury?

Yup. That is, in fact, Dan Blackburn himself in that photo. I'm sure beer leagues don't have rules against it like the NHL does. May not help your problem, but you'd definitely get some looks.

Comment

It would certainly be interesting trying to cover the puck.

Comment

Slashes to the back of the hand wouldn't hurt as much

Comment

Play through the pain or don't play at all. No point in trying to change your game and possibly develop a bad habit by attempting to compensate.

Comment

Good point.

Comment

I feel like either way you're going to come up a bit short on one side. You can play as you normally would, and just keep in mind you might not ba able to make a stretch save and come up a bit short on your glove side, or you can hedge to your glove side and come up a bit short on your stick side.

At least if you play in the normal position you: A - don't set up a bad habit, and B - probably have a better chance to make the save on a high glove shot if you push over a bit than you would blocker side.

Maybe consider coming out a little more to cut off some extra angle when possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X