Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muscle pull around 'upper - inner thigh'???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle pull around 'upper - inner thigh'???

Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone had this type of injury before and what if anything they did fix/relieve it.

It feels like a muscle pull and its on the inside and upper part of the leg, about three inches down from the V (privates). I've often heard of groin pulls, but actually I don't even know exactly where the groin is. One person said that it could be a hip-flexor, but why what does this area have to do with the hip? During a game, I will feel it most when I try to get up from a butterfly. After a game, I will feel it most if I simply sit and raise my knee/leg.

What should I do? Ice it after a game, stretch it, massage it, leave it alone, etc.?

Thanks for any help.

Well, with any immediate injury, you'll want to ice for the first 24-48 hours and take anti inflammatories ( ibuprofen, aleve, etc) for both pain and to help with the swelling.

Since I'm not sure where a boy exactly feels a groin pull, I'll defer to the male members of the board!

If you have any bruising like stuff going on in the site of pain, you definitely want a doc to look at it- and if you want a good valid medical opinion, rather than one from us hacks, a doctors opinion would give you piece of mind!

Comment

I guess the first question is this a recurring problem or an isolated incident?

I've had a couple of groin pulls like you described. First, besides icing it down after the game and taking Ibuprofen, you need to take it easy for awhile and let it heal. Your leg muscles are the worst because you use them every day and they never get a break. Second, make sure you stretch really well prioer to any games, practices, etc. That will also help prevent injury. However, you need to warm up first so that you don't injure yourself further.

I'm not a doctor, just have practical experience. I know its never the popular decision, but sometimes you need to stop playing for awhile and let things heal. Otherwise, you are risking doing more damage and possibly having to be out months instead of weeks.

Cameron

Comment

Groin pulls suck.

What you probably did was strain one of your hip adductors.

Ice and anti-inflammatories are the order of the day.

Give it about a week to heal up, then start doing some static stretching. Check out www.exrx.net for some good info on hip adductor stretches and exercises.

The thing that causes most groin pulls (for me anyway) is a combination of lack of flexibility and a weak set of groin muscles.

If you strengthen them, you will find you have less problems with it.

Comment

do you have bruises anywhere along the inside of the thigh?

I tore my adductor muscle about 3 weeks ago. it happened when i went down in a half-butterfly save stretching my left leg. just like what you said, for the rest of the game I had a difficult time getting up after going down in a bufferfly

like others said, take ibuprofen to help fighting against the swelling, and ice the muscle after the game. but depends on how good/bad you pulled it, <b>you might want to stay off the ice for a short while to let it completely heal first</b>

as far as future injury prevention, one of the exercises is to stand with your feet together, and with one leg standing still, slightly lift the other leg and try to touch the floor with the toes, then touch the floor with the toes about a shoulder-width away from your body, and alternate between the two. after doing this for a while you can feel your inside thigh muscle warming up

hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by panger_fan
            I tore my adductor muscle about 3 weeks ago.
            There is more than one adductor, Adductor Longus and Adductor Magnus. Just like thee is more than one abductor and flexor.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron1
              There is more than one adductor, Adductor Longus and Adductor Magnus. Just like thee is more than one abductor and flexor.
              Adductor Brevis

Comment

I was going to add that just now. Also I believe Pectinius is an adductor although it does not share the name it still aids in adduction

Comment

Originally posted by panger_fan
                  do you have bruises anywhere along the inside of the thigh?
                  like others said, take ibuprofen to help fighting against the swelling, and ice the muscle after the game. but depends on how good/bad you pulled it, <b>you might want to stay off the ice for a short while to let it completely heal first</b>

as far as future injury prevention, one of the exercises is to stand with your feet together, and with one leg standing still, slightly lift the other leg and try to touch the floor with the toes, then touch the floor with the toes about a shoulder-width away from your body, and alternate between the two. after doing this for a while you can feel your inside thigh muscle warming up

hope this helps
                  Thanks to everyone and keep the comments coming.

Follow-up questions: 1) Is ibuprofen in your typical Advil, Aspirin or other over the counter drugs? I rarely ever take this stuff so I don't know what is what.
                  2) Staying off the ice. Wow, that is harder to do than... Is there anything that I could do prior to the game? Would it be bad to ice it before the game too?
                  3) Panger, thanks for your help, but I was having problems following your exercise thing. Is it 'try to touch the floors with the toes'? or fingers?

Comment

Originally posted by Rayzilla
                    Follow-up questions: 1) Is ibuprofen in your typical Advil, Aspirin or other over the counter drugs? I rarely ever take this stuff so I don't know what is what.
                    Ibuprofin is OTC so you should be able to find it quite easily

Comment

I prefer Aleve (Generic name Naproxen Sodium). I find that it does a better job with less over a longer period of time. In fact, my Dr. first turned me onto it when I tore up my knee, it really helped with the swelling then. It is a great anti-inflammatory. But, everyone is different, so go with what works for you.

You can indeed buy these over the counter. Ibuprofen is the active ingredient in Advil, Acetaminophen in Tylenol, Aspirin in Bayer, etc. Primarily you'll hear Ibuprofen and Naproxen Sodium mentioned when talking about anti-inflammatories.
                      Last edited by iceberg; 04-27-2004, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Stop jerking it so often.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron1
                          I was going to add that just now. Also I believe Pectinius is an adductor although it does not share the name it still aids in adduction
                          yep

Comment

Originally posted by frankydee
                            yep
                            Gracilis too...

Comment

Rest is really the best thing for it man. I know it's hard to stay off the ice, but a slight pull will heal in a week or so. I tried to play through one earlier this spring and not only did it hamper my play severely, it is still a little tender 6 weeks after the original pull and 10 days after the season ended. W/that said, things have gotten much better in those 10 days and I expect to be able to resume playing roller hockey in about a week, and resume ice once I find a summer league. One thing NOT to do is use IcyHot. LOL, or if you do make sure you keep the family jewels way away from the area you're putting the ointment on. Don't ask how I know, just trust me and don't do it!

Comment

Working...
                              X