X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to mount GoPro camera?

Recently I just bought one of the GoPro Hero2 cameras and for the past few games have been hanging it in the net. While that view is pretty nice, Id like a bit of a better view of my stance, saves and just of the zone in general (to ideally post on here for you all to tear apart). I was just looking for suggestions as to where and how you all think would be the best to mount the sucker.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I bought the optional suction cup mount and put in on the glass behind the net. I tried doing the same thing from the bench area but the viewpoint was too far away, and I don't think you can zoom in with that camera.

I'd love to hear some suggestions too. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to do this and put the camera in a discreet place... on the downlow haha. I shouldn't care about such things, but I felt a bit silly video taping myself play. Having said that, aside from having a goalie coach, it is the best learning tool to have at your disposal.

Comment

These threads might help you guys...

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/doc...pro-video.html

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/doc...s-welcome.html

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall3535 View Post
        Recently I just bought one of the GoPro Hero2 cameras and for the past few games have been hanging it in the net. While that view is pretty nice, Id like a bit of a better view of my stance, saves and just of the zone in general (to ideally post on here for you all to tear apart). I was just looking for suggestions as to where and how you all think would be the best to mount the sucker.
        How did you hang it in the net? I've only had mine strapped to the cross bar and mounted on my mask so far, but would like to get something from inside the net to give me a better view of my mistakes. We've got netting instead of plexi at our rink (the numbnuts who designed the rink built the roof too low for plexi) so using a suction isn't an option.

Comment

I used the straps from one of the mounts and tied it upside down to where the spine of the net meets the middle bar in the top of the net. Then I just use VLC to invert the video when Im watching it. The video is actually pretty cool, I just wanted a different perspective

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall3535 View Post
            I used the straps from one of the mounts and tied it upside down to where the spine of the net meets the middle bar in the top of the net. Then I just use VLC to invert the video when Im watching it. The video is actually pretty cool, I just wanted a different perspective
            You can configure the camera so that when the camera is mounted upside down, the recorded images are right side up without the need to do any software conversion. Scroll through the settings and look for "Up" and change it to "Upd".

Comment

I think behind the net is the best.

To be honest, if you're even considering going from the bench then don't use the GoPro as there's no point. You can get a decent 1080P 60FPS with zoom camcorder for cheaper these days. Only reason to do GoPro is for places you want a small and resilient-to-impact camera.

You can configure the camera so that when the camera is mounted upside down, the recorded images are right side up without the need to do any software conversion. Scroll through the settings and look for "Up" and change it to "Upd".
              Worth noting that this feature was added in a firmware upgrade, so if you're missing the option, that is why. You need to upgrade your camera FW.

Comment

For those that mount it behind the net using the suction cup do you mind answering a few questions? I want to get the GoPro myself, but want to see if I can mount it at the rinks I play at.

- Do you suction cup it to the outside of the glass? If so, is the camera itself sitting above the top of the glass or is it looking through the glass?
                - How well does the suction cup hold up against puck impacts to the glass that it is attached to?
                - Do you provide any additional protection to the GoPro in case a puck impact on the glass dislodges the camera?

thx guys

Comment

Bump. Can anyone answer the questions in my previous post?

thx

Comment

Originally posted by Spud387 View Post
                    For those that mount it behind the net using the suction cup do you mind answering a few questions? I want to get the GoPro myself, but want to see if I can mount it at the rinks I play at.

- Do you suction cup it to the outside of the glass? If so, is the camera itself sitting above the top of the glass or is it looking through the glass?
                    - How well does the suction cup hold up against puck impacts to the glass that it is attached to?
                    - Do you provide any additional protection to the GoPro in case a puck impact on the glass dislodges the camera?

thx guys
                    I mounted mine at the top on the outside of the glass (in the rink not looking through the glass)

The suction cup is plenty strong, just make sure you have a good connection. After hooking it up, shake it to make sure it is on there. As for puck impacts, I don't think a puck hit the pane the camera was attached to, so I can't comment on that. Honestly though, If the suction cup is properly fastened, I think it would stay on there if one if one did.

Nope. The camera is in a hard plastic shell. I'm sure it would be fine if it fell off and hit the ice. They have replacement lens pieces for a very fair price if yours got scratched in the event of an impact/fall.

I did this during a drop in session, so I'm not sure how the refs would react if you tried this in an actual game. I think other guys did, so they could answer questions pertaining to that. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                      I mounted mine at the top on the outside of the glass (in the rink not looking through the glass)

I did this during a drop in session, so I'm not sure how the refs would react if you tried this in an actual game. I think other guys did, so they could answer questions pertaining to that. Good luck!
                      I mounted mine in the same place.

Had it fall off once in an actual game. Refs let it slide the first time, but told me if it fell again, it would be a delay of game penalty. Lucky for me, it has not fallen since. However, they were totally cool with it being up there.

Comment

Just go behind the net, reach up, suction it, and forget about it.

gopros have fallen out of plans, been lost surfing and found perfectly intact -- you'll be fine.

Comment

Played with a few angles at my last stick and puck. This one came out pretty cool. It helps show your angles and coverage. I took one of the flat mounts and stuck it to a puck, then put the camera on that. Worked perfect.

This type of session really helps isolate some small subconscious habits. I've always felt I was "small" in net because I'm only 5'8". But to the puck, I can be huge.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Kael; 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I just got a GoPro HERO 2 and have only used it once - I have mine set to 960 x 30. Is anyone using anything different? Curious as to the settings being used when attached to the glass behind the net.

Comment

behind the net use 1080 -- you get a wider view

Comment

Working...
                              X