X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching tips?

Hi guys, as the title said, i'm wondering if you guys have any tips for catching the puck? I did a search and found nothing...regarding this topic, though there probably will be something on this board regarding catching . Anyway the problem I have right now is when I attempt to catch the puck I tend to turn my wrist toward my head, which sometimes makes the puck pop out after I caught it. Thus, my thumb area is filled with puck marks... I think I do this because my glove is not all that broken in and when I turn my wrist I can completely close the glove...Am I catching wrong? or is this normal

It might be just the stiffness of the glove. Post some pictures, they would help rule that out as a problem.

As a general rule of thumb it's always a good idea to keep your glove in front of you so you can see it in your peripherals when looking forward at the play. It might also be the angle at which you're holding the glove. Many goalies have this angle at many different ways -upside down, glove-up, 45-60 degrees (which is what I have it at roughly, so your pocket is facing up).

I played primarily first base in baseball for 10 years growing up as a kid and I attribute my strong glove hand to it. It's more or less the same thing in hockey. Anytime you can go out and toss a ball around for 15-20 minutes a day as a break, over time you will see improvement.

Also, I noticed you're a UCC boy eh? I went to RSGC for high school -is the rivalry still strong or does my school still stink at hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by UkieWall33 View Post
      Also, I noticed you're a UCC boy eh? I went to RSGC for high school -is the rivalry still strong or does my school still stink at hockey?
      Actually, RSGC and UCC are in different divisions I think. I don't remember playing them this year . Were they in the same division before ? UCC's main rivalry atm is with SMC in u-16 and JV, and SAC in general

Comment

Originally posted by UkieWall33 View Post
        It might be just the stiffness of the glove. Post some pictures, they would help rule that out as a problem.
        I will tomorrow when i'm on the ice! maybe then the issue will be resolved

Comment

Originally posted by goalie0605 View Post
          Actually, RSGC and UCC are in different divisions I think. I don't remember playing them this year . Were they in the same division before ? UCC's main rivalry atm is with SMC in u-16 and JV, and SAC in general
          Back when I was on the RSGC team we played UCC and were down 4-0 going into the third period. They pulled the other guy and put me in there to start the third. Worst 20-minute barrage of my life. I don't think the puck left our end.

Awesome, post the pics and let me know if you have any more problems.

Comment

#1 tip for catching.. follow the puck into the glove. Actually physically turn your head and look.

Comment

Originally posted by JHanson View Post
              #1 tip for catching.. follow the puck into the glove. Actually physically turn your head and look.
              It makes such a huge difference. When I start getting pop outs, I find I am lacking focus, or too busy trying to anticipate the next move before I have even caught the puck.

The best thing to do, like most sports, is to go back to basics. Or "Keep it simple, stupid!". That is my motto.

Over analyzing is the path to the Dark Side. Over analyzing leads to slow reactions. Slow reactions lead to more goals. More goals lead to suffering.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozer3677 View Post
                It makes such a huge difference. When I start getting pop outs, I find I am lacking focus, or too busy trying to anticipate the next move before I have even caught the puck.

The best thing to do, like most sports, is to go back to basics. Or "Keep it simple, stupid!". That is my motto.

Over analyzing is the path to the Dark Side. Over analyzing leads to slow reactions. Slow reactions lead to more goals. More goals lead to suffering.

Quoted cause this is just awesome.

Goals are the path to the dark side. Another psych up move to add to the tool box.

"Stop that puck or Anikin will kill more Sand people and they will never stop making that noise! And we hate that noise!"

Comment

Try cheesing it up a bit. That stupid showboat wrist crank you see people do a lot pushes out your palm and will direct stuff into the pocket. You don't have to go full windmill mode but if you just bring your hand up to block on high shots without moving your wrist your glove can end up a pointing a bit sideways.

Comment

Dozer3677, one of the best quotes ever.

Catching -
                    During practices and games try your best to keep your glove forward and in a comfortable position. You will be more successful if you can watch the puck from release all the way into your glove.

Off-Ice, put your glove on and find a concrete wall. Throw a tennis ball at the point where the wall meets the ground and try to catch the ball. This will simulate the trajectory the puck takes. Also, see if you can start having catches with a friend. Finally, work on other hand-eye coordination drills such as juggling.

If you did not grow up playing baseball as I kid (I never did), it takes a lot of practice to learn how to catch properly. I tend to get a lot of pucks hitting every area of my glove but the netting.

Comment

Break in the glove. It needs to be floppy (open and close easily without your hand in it) to really be able to catch reliably and comfortably. I'm amazed at how many guys play with stiff, nasty, un-broken-in gloves. Then yes, watch the puck into it. Track it. If you can catch a tennis ball with your bare hand you can catch a puck with a glove --- easier.

Comment

Focus on putting the puck in the pocket... not your hand.

Problem solved!

I had to relearn catching 101 from the very start ( I catch right/throw left normally ).

Biggest thing right out of the gate was catching them in my "hand", not the pocket. Big mistake. Watch the puck all the way in and watch it go right into the pocket.

Once you learn to catch with the pocket, a lot of your catching issues will fix themselves.

Comment

Another hint may be to try to catch the puck in front of your body, and this will happen if you start with your glove forward more (not right next to your side). This will help keep the glove in your peripheral vision when you go to catch the puck. Makes it easier to look the puck into the glove.

Comment

Originally posted by TIMMAAYY View Post
                            Focus on putting the puck in the pocket... not your hand.

Problem solved!

I had to relearn catching 101 from the very start ( I catch right/throw left normally ).

Biggest thing right out of the gate was catching them in my "hand", not the pocket. Big mistake. Watch the puck all the way in and watch it go right into the pocket.

Once you learn to catch with the pocket, a lot of your catching issues will fix themselves.
                            Lefty baseball players and regular goalies unite!

Comment

Try holding your gloves in front of your body more and catching it there.

When your hands are back - as you follow the puck with your eyes, you will turn the palm of the hand upward to see .

Thats what worked for me with this same problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X