X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you do this during warm up?

I usually show up real early for my games, and sometimes have a chance to watch the goalies in the game before mine take warm up shots. I am amazed at how many times I see goalies that seem completely unfocused/disinterested during the warm up. They seem like they are looking through the puck, they aren't trying for the most part, and they are making saves in ways they wouldn't normally make during a game (for example they will make the save standing up, when a few minutes later in the game the same shot they butterfly for).

I just don't understand why people would do this... I would think practicing saves you don't normally use would be counter-productive, and looking through the puck like they seem to be doing is a bad habit to develop. Maybe they are trying to conserve energy? I don't know. If you do this, can you shed some light into why? Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm a big fan of goalies in warmup doing what works for them.

I certainly do this, "for example they will make the save standing up, when a few minutes later in the game the same shot they butterfly for." Until I'm warmed up properly I see no need to go nuts. Granted, by the end of warm up I should be doing things the correct way.

The first thing I want to warm up are my eyes, making sure I'm tracking the puck correctly. Stopping it comes next. Gotta start with the basics.

Comment

I know for some (myself included) it depends on how long the warm up is. Most of the time, you have 2-5 minutes; hardly enough time to get properly warmed up. I do an off-ice warmup so I am ready before the game starts.

If I only have two minutes; I barely take shots. If I do, I stay on the line and track the puck. Not always caring about save selection more just getting used to watching the puck into me and tracking the rebound.

If the warmup is organized and I have more time, then I am practicing save selections. Its all situational.

Comment

I usually do this. I don't know how "disinterested" I look, but I will rarely butterfly in a warm up. I do make a good number of saves during a game standing, especially since I am a smaller tender, I need to really break a habit of butterflying on shots that are high. (Also, if I drop in warm-ups my head is in prime shooting area, and I'd like to avoid that before the game even starts)

But I will square up to the shots, nice and aggressive outside my paint, and I'll do everything except butterfly to make the save. I really am looking to get used to tracking the puck and feeling shots on my stick and gloves, it helps me to establish my angles and get a feel for where the net is. I also play out mentally what I would/could do differently on certain shots, basically run through all the save selections available even though I only used one.

I hope it doesn't come off as looking "disinterested" but I don't need to be making every save in warm-ups. I want to be feeling good and seeing the puck and that's all I need.

Comment

I tend to not butterfly for some shots sometimes in warm up.

The goal for this is just for puck tracing warm ups so your eyes would get used to following the puck in game imo. Plus i dont want to tire myself out in warm up either.

Comment

I use warmups for puck tracking. Not butterfly practice. I want my shooters to shoot into my chest, or my gloves to get a lil confidence and eye practice.

However, most league games i get 2/3 minutes tops to warm up. and those 2 minutes, most players tend to want to use it to practice their "super duper skilled shot action move", which i have a real hard time taking seriously

Comment

Warmups are for warming up, not for practicing super duper save moves. Doing that is like cramming for a final exam. If you haven't trained the moves, they won't happen in the game.

Comment

I've seen what you mean by looking disinterested during warm-ups and I have to agree with the other posts that they are most likely just trying to track the pucks. Another thing they might be doing is preventing themselves from getting injured by their teammates. How many times in warm-ups have you taken shots very high to the head, neck, and clavicle area? I know I have.

When I warm-up I tend to stay up in the beginning and then as the practice is winding down I start making saves in the same way I would in the game.

What I am curious about is what type of pre-shooting warm-ups you guys use to get truly warmed up. Getting 2 to 5 minutes right before a game is not enough time. The only thing I have been doing are a few stretches.

Comment

RollerGoalie30, somehow I convinced my teammates to line up just inside the blue line for a couple of rounds, then they do the corners drill (if your'e not familiar with that let me know I think I can explain). it's the same warmup routine that I've been involved with since being a mimi-mite and I think even the pros use it.

Not only does it help me warm up for tracking different shots, but it makes us looked 1/2 organized also

I used to never go into bfly during warmups and it always worked until this summer. Playing at a higher level this summer than I have before has forced me to adjust how I approach warmups. At the beginning of the season I would get lit up for the 1st ten minutes, after a few games I changed my warmup routine and now include bfly saves once I feel I'm tracking the puck. I am now a lot more solid at the start of games.
                  Last edited by GoaliePhil; 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

An interesting dilemma...
                    As adults, we rarely have time to practice or work on our game, leaving only the warm up time as something that could be used, yet we all seem to want to work on the basic of tracking the puck (very important).

I wonder if keepers who have more S&P and/or shinny opps or actual practices do the same? Putting it another way, as it seems my thoughts don't always reflect my keyboarding, does anyone use this time as practice?

Comment

yup like many others my main concentration is tracking the puck. but to be quite honest i am more concerned with 'feeling" the puck any team i play with i ask them to just hit me with the puck....i hate going into a game where your warm up consists of one or two pucks hitting you and the rest are wide passed the net you think you were playing with a soccer net.

you can always tell the guys that have played organized high level in thier past cause they will hit you with the puck others will be trying to pick the corners or the guys that deke pass and wonder why your not making the diving save to stopp them (just so they can feel good in warm ups)

i will butterfly once and again just to "get the juices flowing" and then work on dropping in to butterfly and doing slides back and forth nothing too crazy just to get te juices flowing then back up to work on feeling the puck and tracking...my regular team knows my routine and usually a couple of the guys work with my routine....my key is let me get the "feeling" and then i will make the sprawling save on that deke : lmao

Comment

Originally posted by geojedi View Post
                        An interesting dilemma...
                        As adults, we rarely have time to practice or work on our game, leaving only the warm up time as something that could be used, yet we all seem to want to work on the basic of tracking the puck (very important).

I wonder if keepers who have more S&P and/or shinny opps or actual practices do the same? Putting it another way, as it seems my thoughts don't always reflect my keyboarding, does anyone use this time as practice?
                        If I'm understanding your question right, I do. I usually only have one or two games a week with a 3-5 min warm-up, but play 4-5 times. Sometimes it is actually practice, other times it is just for someone who is renting the ice for some pick-up hockey. Every time I step on the ice, I am focusing on making my game better. There are times during these skates where I get lazy and not try as hard as I should, but overall, I am pushing myself to follow the puck all the way to my body, use explosive movements, and practice good playing techniques. I see every ice time as an opportunity to grow and develop into a better goalie. In the last 2.5 years (after a 5 year break), I have improved my game significantly and want to continue doing so.

I am probably a lot younger than many of the other "adult" goalies here, being 24, but I am a beer league goalie like many of you. I want to move up the ladder to play in the more competitive leagues so I push myself every time. I was not satisfied playing in a beginners women's league, or the D men's league when I started back up after my long break, so I made the best of my ice time to move up to the C/B league. I am still pushing myself to at least stay at the level I'm at now, if not move up again. There is always room for improvement, so why not try to achieve it.

Comment

To the OP, it is a matter of warming up your body and your mind. I try to do hand-eye coordination drills in the locker room so I don't spend so much time on it on the ice, especially when the time is so limited. However, I still focus on following the puck to my body. If the shots are all over the place at first, I don't try too hard to stop them. Most of the players on my men's team know how to aim their shots, so I get a good warm-up without wearing myself out. I can make the best of my time by only spending a min or less on hand-eye coordination, and the rest on warming my body up. My women's team on the other hand have no control. I see two or three pucks coming at me at once, while another is trying to deke me out on a breakaway. No matter how many times I tell them I need to warm up, they'd still prefer to "show off" to the imaginary crowd.

I don't think the goalies you watch are practicing their save selections, they are trying to get their body and mind into the game. When you have so little time to get ready, there are more important things than making a b-fly save on a low shot in warm-ups. I'm sure that person knew what they would do in a game situation, but they were focusing on something else at the time.

Comment

I am that goalie. What works for me is to make sure I preserve my focus for the game. Warmups let me loosen up, get a feel for how I'm feeling in front of the puck that day, and identify what I'm having trouble with. If I notice that I'm tracking well, I usually just grin and get in front of the shots. If I'm having difficulty, I try to pick one or two shooters to treat like a game situation.

I don't go out of my way to lock in, though, because I know what I need to do in a game to get "there," and frankly, 90+% of the effort in being game ready happens way before I step on the rink.

Remember that warmups are not analogous to game situations. If I were to try to transfer everything back and forth, I think it'd actually be counterproductive for me.

There are also the elite among us who try to scout the other goalie during warmups, so I like to play it somewhat closer to the chest. Granted, once the puck drops, you'll see most of my game is a weakness, but it's better to keep 'em guessing

Comment

It seems like I'm in the minority here.

I warm my body up before i even hit the ice with a dynamic warm up routine (Thx maria!) and do some hand eye work in the dressing room just before I go out. When I get on the ice after some quick scraping and movement work I take shots and treat each one as if it's a game shot. (thankfully my team does keep it to one shot at a time) I AM working on tracking the puck, but I am also tying that into my movements rather than isolating the tracking.

BUT, seeing as how I'm the minority I guess what other people are doing is working for them, and that's really all that's important.

Comment

Working...
                              X