Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get Contacts without a Doctor?

Myself and my girlfriend both need contact lenses.

Only problem is to buy contacts in the US you need doctors approval, which to me is like being told you need to spend unnecessary money.

I don't mind getting an eye exam every few years, but to need one every time I buy contacts is ridiculous.

I bought them last March at BJ's and had to spend 115 for an eye exam. Now, they want me to spend another 115 to get another exam. I have insurance, my girlfriend doesnt. I can only assume she'll be paying alot of money.

So, in short. Where can I order contact lenses without doctors approval. I know the risks. But I also know when I'm getting screwed when I see it.

I believe prescriptions are supposed to last a year. I don't see any reason for BJ's to want to get me to take another eye test so soon other then to get more money.

Mexico....

Comment

I'm in Mexico, nothing here---lol

Well, by Mexico I mean Miami, FL.

Same Difference right?

Comment

Originally posted by cfern023 View Post
        I'm in Mexico, nothing here---lol

Well, by Mexico I mean Miami, FL.

Same Difference right?
        I thought Miami = Havana

Los Angeles = Mexico City

Comment

I hear what you're saying but unfortunately, eye exams are annually based with an expiry date. So unless you have the hook-up from someone who doesn't care (I had a guy in CA a few years ago), you're probably SOL. If someone else can shed light, that would awesome, but I've run into this roadblock over and over and just stopped fighting it.
          Last edited by Hockey3081; 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I know of a place in Europe that will ship to the US. They have all of the major brands. PM me if you're interested and I will PM you the info for them.
            Last edited by DD33; 01-03-2010, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DD33 View Post
              I know of a place in Europe that will ship to the US. They have all of the major brands. PM me if you're interested and I will PM you the info for them.
              PM Sent, and thanks man.

Comment

I buy mine from Contact Lenses from Coastal Contacts® - your Contact Lens Store (well, I buy from their Canadian site) and have never had a problem with them.

Cheaper than the ones I get from my optometrist, and way more selection/variety. Nothing required other than knowing what your prescription is... though I would recommend sticking to buying the same contacts you're currently using (if available on the site).

Edit: Just read this in the FAQ section... looks like they require prescription verification for US customers. Maybe have a Canadian friend buy them and ship them down?

Also, on February 4, 2004, the FTC enacted the "Fairness to Contact Lens Consumers Act" in the United States. The Act states that any time an Eye Care Provider (ECP) conducts a contact lens fitting, that they must provide the patient with a paper copy of their prescription (whether or not the patient requests it). This enables the patient to take their prescription and purchase their Contact Lenses from a variety of sources, not just the original ECP.

Under the Act, contact lens sellers must verify that American patients have had a contact lens fitting and that the prescription is not expired (verification). This Act only applies to US customers.
                Ordering Contact Lenses and Eyeglasses Online - FAQ | CoastalContacts.com
                Last edited by Densetsu; 01-03-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Even if you buy online? Try 1-800-Contacts.com or something like that. In Canada your only required to get one like every year if you order through your optometrist, but if you order online they don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Densetsu View Post
                    I buy mine from Contact Lenses from Coastal Contacts® - your Contact Lens Store and have never had a problem with them.

Cheaper than the ones I get from my optometrist, and way more selection/variety. Nothing required other than knowing what your prescription is... though I would recommend sticking to buying the same contacts you're currently using (if available on the site).
                    lol beat me to it

Comment

You need to have a prescription in the US. Bottom line.

If you had an exam less than a year ago, that prescription should still be valid. Tell BJ's to give you copies of prescriptions and buy your lenses online. Also, call your local Target, Walmart, Lenscrafters, and For Eyes locations and see what an exam costs. Now that your initial contact fitting is done, you both should only need a basic annual exam which should be much less than $115.

My teammate's wife is an optometrist in Boca. I'm pretty sure her rates would be less than that $115. If you want her info PM me. I highly recommend her as her diligence is what discovered a detached retina in my eye.

Comment

walmart!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PSULion22 View Post
                          You need to have a prescription in the US. Bottom line.

If you had an exam less than a year ago, that prescription should still be valid. Tell BJ's to give you copies of prescriptions and buy your lenses online. Also, call your local Target, Walmart, Lenscrafters, and For Eyes locations and see what an exam costs. Now that your initial contact fitting is done, you both should only need a basic annual exam which should be much less than $115.

My teammate's wife is an optometrist in Boca. I'm pretty sure her rates would be less than that $115. If you want her info PM me. I highly recommend her as her diligence is what discovered a detached retina in my eye.
                          It's a little far, but I'd give her a call and check out the rates and stuff. Could you pas them along?

I just can't stand BJ's. From what I understand, the one I went to on Kendall Drive closed down, and I guess wiped all their customer info out of the computer as well. Pretty damn frustrating. I already know what I need. I just don't have a paper, and since that BJ's closed down, there is no doctor to call either.

Comment

Your prescription should be good for a year - if you use 1800contacts, they would retain the info and you could just reorder just before the year is up and be able to get two years out of a visit.

That said, after a certain age, an annual exam is a good idea.

Comment

the place I buy from just scans my glasses to confirm the perscription, then they sell me a box.

Just send me a pair of your glasses and I'll buy them for you. haha!

Comment

Working...
                              X