Being followed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being followed.

So I happen to live at home at the moment. My parents primarily are followed. My mom is out on permanent disability and is being followed by one or some combination of Social Security or High Point insurance or Prudential. My dad has an open workman's compensation case. What makes his case worse is he is a hemophiliac and costs the insurance company hundreds of thousands every time he goes under the knife. It wasn't so bad until I came back home and now I'm being followed. I'm self-employed and run a small-time business on ebay for any extra cash. I'm not sure if they believe I'm running errands for my business for my mom who is not allowed to make over an allotted amount of money or they have to naturally follow any vehicle out of the house if it could be one of them or they just have nothing better to do.

My parents have been harassed and will continue to get harassed. I'm basically at the point of being harassed. If you had spent one week with me as a friend or acquaintance you would get a basic idea of what I do, where I go and when I go. I work for myself so I'm not commuting to work, I play hockey maybe one or two nights a week, and visit the usual haunts around town around the same time of day so many days a week. I've been followed around town, followed to the furthest stretches of the state, had people waiting for me to come around a corner or go down a street, been followed on foot into stores.

I've caught these people before on foot and in random parking lots waiting for me. I've caught them idling around a store glancing at me, I catch them, give them a look, and they bolt out. I drive by a parking lot where they're parked next to each other sitting in their cars, as soon as I drive by they both start their cars up. I pull in and they peel out scrambling in different directions. We have reason to believe our phone calls are being monitored, specifically cordless/cell calls. Another common practice is when things get stagnant they call the phones to see where we're at or what we're doing. Now I'm getting a number of restricted calls on my cell phone.

I guess I'm just putting it out there. It's kind of bothersome and no I don't think I'm a little too paranoid and making it up in my head. Being followed doesn't help paranoia but it's not a product of it in my case. Does anyone have any advice or anything to add? Have any of you been followed or know anyone in the business? What are their lawful bounds, are they stepping over any?

If your phones are being tapped then they are violating your privacy rights. If they are just following you unfortunatley there is nothing illegal about that.

Comment

Wow.

I hope this is a fake/crazy story.

If not. Holy crap. I'm not going to lie, I'm curious. Since I live close, I want to follow the followers. Following is legal right? Except I'd not try to hide it. Infact I'd make a sign saying "I'm following you". And proudly display it.

I need to see this.

I drive one of three cars - just so you don't think I'm one of them.

White GMC Envoy
      Blue Jeep Wrangler
      White F-150 - older one.

PM me whereabouts these followers are hanging. I don't want your exact address or anything. I just want to mess with these folks for you.

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

New Jersey is f'd up.........................

Comment

When out in public you have no reasonable expectation of privacy, especially if your family has what they insurance companies might believe is a false/fraudulent claim out there for them.

They will do what they can to get you off their books and into jail if they can prove that you're doing anything illegal.

If all is on the up and up, then while it is annoying you have nothing to worry about.

There was a recent, I mean like 2 days ago, case of a guy claiming he was an invalid from a fall at the workplace(he was a CO at a local jail) and yet there he is running 2 miles to the gym to work out and run 2 miles back.

Not saying this is your family as I don't know...but this is a legitimate issue which drives up the cost of insurance for all of us when people like this guy defraud the system.

Comment

I had it happen to me almost 10 years ago. Working road construction, hit by a car, off work for 6 months, physical therapy for 8 months, personal injury suit against the lady that hit me, had to sue my employer for worker's comp. I was followed everywhere I went, which, because of my injury, was to the doctor, the grocery, the pharmacy, and physical therapy. I was living alone at the time with no family within 2 hours driving. I'd catch them following me everyday, not really a big deal and my worker's comp attorney told me to expect it. I just made sure I hammed it up real good when I caught them, even trying to put them in a good samaritan type scenario to see if they'd help me out, they never did. Of course I wasn't faking it and still have minor issues with my back but I thought it was kinda funny, I knew I was hurt so I wasn't worried.

Comment

Comment

I say toy with them. Get a friend who is about your size to leave your house dressed as you. Let this person take your car. When they follow him, you take his car and follow them. When your friend reaches an spot that you know where they will watch from have him stop. You then sneak up on them with an air horn and see how good their nerves are.

Comment

Originally posted by sloth2946 View Post
                  There was a recent, I mean like 2 days ago, case of a guy claiming he was an invalid from a fall at the workplace(he was a CO at a local jail) and yet there he is running 2 miles to the gym to work out and run 2 miles back.
                  They have to investigate anything they're not sure about these days, it's sad really. Too many people have committed fraud, that they've just made things tough for everyone else.

We had a guy at a previous job who hurt his back and somehow managed to claim a Workers Comp case, even though he had a desk job that had no expectation of him doing anything that should involve physical labour. He shouldn't have been doing anything that could have injured his back, nor should he be doing anything that would be a problem for anyone with an already injured back. Still, he was off work on compo.

They were highly suspicious of him, and followed him too. Turned out that instead of coming to work (which would be too much strain on his back), he was going golfing most days instead. He was fired, and sued by the WCB. Union tried to back him, but he was toast.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                    Wow.

I hope this is a fake/crazy story.

If not. Holy crap. I'm not going to lie, I'm curious. Since I live close, I want to follow the followers. Following is legal right? Except I'd not try to hide it. Infact I'd make a sign saying "I'm following you". And proudly display it.

I need to see this.

I drive one of three cars - just so you don't think I'm one of them.

White GMC Envoy
                    Blue Jeep Wrangler
                    White F-150 - older one.

PM me whereabouts these followers are hanging. I don't want your exact address or anything. I just want to mess with these folks for you.
                    If you want to see it you can hang out with me for a week and you could probably notice. They're not exactly covert special ops but they're not blatant to the untrained eye either. My Dad doesn't really notice them much because he's pretty oblivious to what's going on.

I doubt you'll see them by yourself. I think for you and maybe Icepop who are familiar with the area- They hang around Elm Avenue a lot or where Glassboro Road intersects with Elm. They've sat next to the fire hall, in the Railroad food mart lot, in the old pizza place lot, alongside the railroad tracks in every direction. They've been parked in the Post Office, the Car Wash, the Dollar Store.

I think they've gotten a little more complex I guess? It's not so much you go somewhere and someone just tails you. There's like a spotter and then someone pulls out of an empty street or business and gets behind you. Or they circle the block over and over waiting for someone to leave. They've be down at the lake or by the high school. A neighbor down the street approached a suspicious person sitting in their car with binoculars and whatnot and were told they're just official surveillance and that's all they can say.

You get a good sense when someone has a purpose when they walk into a business. Like they're going to eat something or actually buy something or even pay attention to what they're doing. This is not standing in only one aisle for 20 minutes picking up random things here and there, acting like they're waiting for their wife but they're by themselves and then they suddenly leave without making any transaction. It's the kind of behavior I would get suspicious of when I worked retail, like they were about to pocket something.

I've heard the, ya know, you're not doing anything wrong and it doesn't directly involve you and there's nothing they can do to you thing before. That works sometimes. Sometimes I'm not really bothered by it at all but other times its different. The fact that I'm not doing anything wrong and I have no idea how I'm involved with their cases is what bothers me the most. They're like my paparazzi without being famous, which blows my mind. And I don't know what they want from me and they won't directly approach me.

Edit: -About the cars, they switch up a lot. You'll see the same car here and there for awhile and then not so much anymore. I've started to recognize some of the same people though.

I've seen that a lot lately. A gold metallic Impala LS. I'd like to hope it's someone from the area as much as I hope I've discovered someone.
                    Last edited by The Kid; 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM.

Comment

We have that in Canada also, at least in my neck of the woods. Every so often you'll see on tv some news about a guy who got caught and sued for fraud after he's been caught playing golf, renovating his home working out and such after he's been supposedly declared invalid because of back problems. They even film the people they are following. Like someone said, workers comp's goal is to write you off their books by either catching your for fraud, you healing and getting back to work, finding work where your salary will be half of what it was and they pay that other half thus saving half of the payments they make to you or simply have you go to their office where they will offer you a fairly big amount, ask you to sign and never get another penny from them ever after.

Comment

Have you tried calling the police for the fun of it?

Comment

I was not only followed but was video taped also. It was used against me in a lawsuit for a car accident. Long story short, at the arbitration hearing the guy said to me , I thought you didn't play hockey in the season of 97. I said I didn't. Then the insurance company guy had a video of me on the ice, running a practice for high school.
                          All it showed was me on the ice with the team, not really skating, just taking a couple of strides here and there. Passing the puck.
                          The ins. guy said you told us you didn't play in the season of 97. I said first off the season ended in March, the video was in May, off season, but we had the ice all yr long.
                          The arbitrator asked me why I got on the ice. I was honest and told him this was something I have done since I was a little kid and I was of course going to try it again. It is what I love.
                          He then started asking me questions about the teams I coached and where I played.
                          End of story, he awarded me the full 100Gs.
                          The guy from the insurance company was shocked. hahaha
                          Bastards

Comment

I don't really understand the logic of this. Insurance companies are doing this to try and save money yet aren't they spending a s*** load of money on round the clock surviellance? The way you describe it there is a team of people just observing you, multiply that by all the people with similar types of claims and it would seem to be a lot.....

Comment

Originally posted by L7spider View Post
                              Insurance companies are doing this to try and save money yet aren't they spending a s*** load of money on round the clock surviellance?
                              When you look at paying medical bills plus "lost wages" plus "lost quality of life" benefits every month of every year for 40 or so years, it's REALLY expensive for the insurance companies. If they can spend $10K on surveillance to save millions of dollars -- even if only 5-10% of the claims are found to be fraudulent -- it's a good investment for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X