Advise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise?

I have son that graduated from high school this week. The graduation ceremony was held at a local AHL hockey rink where there were about 300 students graduating. We were in our seats as the students began marching in. My wife received a text from my son that he had been screamed at and then thrown out of the building by the vice principle for wearing sneakers. I went outside and found him out in front of the building. I switched my dress shoes with his sneakers in hopes that he would be let back in. By the way I couldn't see his sneakers under the graduation gown. After the switch he went back in and rejoined the ceremony without further incident. I thought it ironic that the superintendant of schools gave a lame speech about being an individual and following your own path, as opposed to doing what the crowd was doing. Anyway, I was concerned about the way this was handled. I felt he should have been taken aside until the problem was resolved. Throwing him out of the building while attending a school function seemed out of line with the schools policy and the way it was handled was very upsetting to his fellow students and to the teachers who witnessed it. The next day I called the high school in order to hear the VP's side of the story. He refused to talk with me as my son has graduated and no longer a student there. I then called the office of the Superintendant of the schools and his secretary told me that he will not speak with me. I said in that case there was an incident at the graduation and I would like get his mailing address so I can send him a letter regarding it. She told me the letter would not be read. I was ready to let this go but I have this incredible gut instinct that this needs to be addressed. I feel that I should at least be able to ask for an explanation. My son told me that nothing would come of it. He said the administration doesn't care and they don't listen. This was the reason he resigned as a class officer. Any ideas what I should do? Or should I walk away?

That is BS, get an explanation. What if your son had no cell phone? What if he was out of service, etc...

Gym shoes jeeze, I woulda hated to see what that guy woulda done if he seen what I wore when I graduated college LOL (jeans, adidas and a beatles shirt )

Comment

Does your son deserve an explanation? Yes. Will he get one? Not a chance.

Don't waste your time barking up trees that won't respond. Just thank god your son's outta there. Sounds like a school with GREAT leadership.

Comment

I'd definitely pursue this, you might have to go up the food chain. Dookie rolls down hill so if you can get a hold of who writes the checks for the superintendent and or principle then you might get somewhere.

Wearing sneakers at a high school graduation is no reason to get in your sons, or anyone else's face.

At my college graduation a few weeks ago I can't tell you how many people were wearing shorts sandles and t-shirts or wife beaters.

Comment

Leave the guy a voicemail that you believe that he "touched" your son inappropriately. That should get you a return call quickly Seriously though, I would send the guy a certified letter stating that you would like to discuss the incident otherwise you will have to take this over his head(and to the media). Teachers, administrators don't want their dirty laundry aired in the paper/internet etc.
          As long as your son has been a good student and not a troublemaker, they won't be able to discredit your son.

BTW: The incident happened while HE WAS A STUDENT...so they can't pull the "He's no longer enrolled here" BS. Using the word lawyer in your conversation will perk their ears up also

Comment

Hard read.

Willing to bet your kid knew the rules before graduation.

I would have advised your kid to follow them.

Comment

Originally posted by LukePhillips View Post
              Does your son deserve an explanation? Yes. Will he get one? Not a chance.

Don't waste your time barking up trees that won't respond. Just thank god your son's outta there. Sounds like a school with GREAT leadership.

Schools continue to be run by inept "leaders" because people give up and don't fight. There are probably a ton of parents who are out there with huge complaints, but are too afraid to 'rock the boat'. There is strength in numbers. Write an editorial to your local papers.
              Once the school realizes that this isn't going away...they will be forced to deal with your issue.JMO

Comment

You might also want to contact your state representative, and explain the situation. You would be surprised as to what they can get done for you. Mine has been in contact with the State Department Of Education in regards to making up the days off due to the ice storm, whereas Boston area schools are being allowed to waive the 180 day requirement due to swine flu concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Chico01 View Post
                  You might also want to contact your state representative, and explain the situation. You would be surprised as to what they can get done for you. Mine has been in contact with the State Department Of Education in regards to making up the days off due to the ice storm, whereas Boston area schools are being allowed to waive the 180 day requirement due to swine flu concerns.
                  Dear State Senator Murray:

My son got in trouble for wearing sneakers to his high school graduation ceremony. I'm so mad. Can you help?

Regards

Comment

If this was a public school, then public school board meetings are open to the public, and typically contain an "open comment" time where members of the audience can address the board.

If you'd like, you can even send a letter to the school board in advance (have to call and find out how far in advance they need it) and actually get this put on the formal meeting agenda as an item of new business. One benefit of being on the agenda in advance is that all the members will have been provided with their own copy of your letter to read ahead of time, and a copy of your letter will be included with the secretary's minutes of the meeting (and therefore, part of the public record). If your school board members are actually halfway competent, they may even have discussed the situation with the principal ahead of time, to get his viewpoint, and to ask him to be available for comment.

Go to the library and pick up a book called Robert's Rules of Order, or at least familiarize yourself somewhat via websites such as Robert's Rules Of Order | Quick Reference -- if your school board follows Robert's Rules (many/most organizations do) it will be beneficial to be familiar with the process before going in.

And if you do decide to go forward, let us know how it goes. If you want help crafting your letter, let me know via PM -- I have some experience in this sort of thing.

Comment

Jesus, I would have revoked your son's diploma on the fact that you allowed him to wear sneakers to this ceremony.

Have some class.

I'm sure there was a dress code.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                        Dear State Senator Murray:

My son got in trouble for wearing sneakers to his high school graduation ceremony. I'm so mad. Can you help?

Regards
                        Lets put it this way, he should give his kid the benefit of the doubt, but before pursuing anything he should sit down and level with his son.

Even if the son was blowing things out of proportion originally I am sure he would come clean and say if the situation wasn't as bad as he made it out to be.

Unfortunately many people in a position of authority use that position to knock heads of those around them.

Comment

My son did wear a suit and tie. I have no problem with his being held aside for improper dress. If he was attending an official high school event and decided to leave the building he would have been suspended. It's the being thrown out of the building that I don't understand. By the way my son wanted to go home. He down played the screaming. That was one of his teachers who told me that how upsetting it was. But all this aside. Part of me wants to let it go and the other says we should at least get an explanation. When my son came back the teachers and students all clapped and started chanting that the VP sucked.
                          I feel very sad about this incident, my son dosen't care, he asked why I would want to even talk to someone who dosen't respect anyone.
                          Last edited by Goaliedad; 06-04-2009, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey View Post
                            That is BS, get an explanation. What if your son had no cell phone? What if he was out of service, etc...

Gym shoes jeeze, I woulda hated to see what that guy woulda done if he seen what I wore when I graduated college LOL (jeans, adidas and a beatles shirt )
                            You wore pants?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper35 View Post
                              You wore pants?
                              They were crotchless

Comment

Working...
                              X