'Breaking Bad' - AMC Show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MTH View Post
    Well said. Rushed were the last few episodes.

Endings where Hank killed the cousins was more realistic and beyond tense. This was more just what we wanted to see. You could say that Walt figured he'd be shot too with the MacGuyver gun. The Jesse being alive thing wasn't expected.

I don't know why Walt didn't just call the cops on the crew. He obviously knew their address.

He had no intentions to take home his money. Seemed like a waste to me for him to go there. They would have died in a shootout with the feds anyway.
    The same reason why Walt didn't want to accept charity or anything else, he wants to go out on his terms, it's not over until he says it's over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post
      Good thing I didn't partake, Walt offing himself (does accidentally count?) and Lydia death by ricin, would've been the only ones I called right. I knew Jessie wanted to kill Todd, but didn't think he'd do it.

Somehow, when Walt bought that gun, I couldn't picture him actually using it....(just not his skill set) Didn't see the robotic pivoting stand coming, nice twist.

Overall, good ending to a great series. One of the best series ever.
      I wouldn't say Walt offed himself. He caught a riccochet from his own weapon, yes, but I would not consider that offing himself.
      Originally posted by MTH View Post
      After I was like 'they finished that right'.

Even Badger and Pete were in the mix.

Is Jesse free and clear now? I know he was in the mix with the DEA before the bad guys took him.

I read that the title of the episode "Felina" was a song that the main character of the song dies with his true love in hand. Sorta how Walt died with chemistry in hand.

Who else thought Jesse was going to run over Walt?
      I thought he was going to run him over and then once he didn't do it I thought he was going to get smashed by an 18 wheeler or something after he went speeding out of the compound. I'm glad Jesse got out ok though.

Stackem, gonna have to come back and read your post...its time for my dinner break.

Comment

I don't know why Walt didn't just call the cops on the crew. He obviously knew their address.

He had no intentions to take home his money. Seemed like a waste to me for him to go there. They would have died in a shootout with the feds anyway.
        Because that wouldn't be redemption. He went out the way he wanted to go out. He was the one who put the bullets in all of them withouth any collateral damage to more innocent Feds.

edit - Stackem, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Full head of hair on a beard or not I am sure someone should have recognized him. You'd think the girl that served him at the diner maybe. I also found it odd that he was able to get into and out of Skylar's apartment without being seen meanwhile there is a car right out front watching it.

Now how much more epic of an ending would that have been if he went out while taking a hit of Blue.
        Last edited by SaveByRichter35; 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Hey, as far as a single episode goes, it was far from perfect. It was still a fitting ending to this show, which I think may have worked its way into my top-rated shows along with The Sopranos, The Wire, and Deadwood*. All very different shows, but Breaking Bad has been top notch programming from the pilot to the finale. I think it definitely earned its spot up there for me.

*Tough to give Deadwood a top spot, but the first two seasons were maybe the best of any show I've seen, and I have to think it would have continued on if HBO had not canned it.

Comment

• You know, there's one person's ending that I feel was neglected. What happen to Huell??? Last we saw if him he was stuck in that hotel room waiting for Hank and Gomez to come back. I hope he isn't still waiting! Haha
            Last edited by SaveByRichter35; 10-02-2013, 11:06 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
              You there's one person's ending that I feel was neglected. What happen to Huell??? Last we saw if him he was stuck in that hotel room waiting for Hank and Gomez to come back. I hope he isn't still waiting! Haha

Comment

• I'll one-up ya:

Huell Waits - YouTube

Comment

• Funny too that Jesse was to die in first season and lives through the end.

Comment

Funny too that Jesse was to die in first season and lives through the end.
                    I was surprised he made it as long as he did. Everyone feeling sorry for him is just a bunch of BS to me. He got involved in a dangerous lifestyle but still whined about it... well boo hoo! I never felt sorry for him. But in the end it made sense he lived - he paid a big price for his choices and Walt could see that. Bonehead Jessie shoulda taken the money and run to Alaska like Walt offered...

Comment

• Originally posted by stackem33 View Post
                      I'll one-up ya:

Huell Waits - YouTube
                      HAHAHAHA, so simple, yet hilarious! Thanks for posting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoalieNut View Post
                        I was surprised he made it as long as he did. Everyone feeling sorry for him is just a bunch of BS to me. He got involved in a dangerous lifestyle but still whined about it... well boo hoo! I never felt sorry for him. But in the end it made sense he lived - he paid a big price for his choices and Walt could see that. Bonehead Jessie shoulda taken the money and run to Alaska like Walt offered...
                        I essentially agree, though you do sound a little "tough" in your reasoning. But as much as everyone (including myself) loves Jesse, you can't say he's a good guy. Here's some of the things he's done throughout the series, aside from being generally dishonest with everyone:

-- Jesse cooked and smoked methamphetamine. Smoking it is one thing, but putting it out into the world to be consumed in another in my eyes. AND, he did both these things before meeting Walt, so there's no shifting blame there. Not his biggest offense, I'm pretty realistic about drug manufacturing and consumption. But still, meth is a hell of a destructive drug. And he's part of the problem.

-- When a cancer-ridden and dying man (Walt) gave him the last money he had to his name to go buy an RV, he spent it all at a strip club, and just stole an RV instead.

-- After going to rehab and experiencing and witnessing the pain of many people in there, Jesse went back to weekly NA meetings with the intention of selling meth to the attendees and getting them hooked again.

-- Jesse murdered Gail in cold blood! Gail was an innocent person, and Jesse rang his doorbell and shot him right in the face. Yes, it was to save Walt, but Walt was not exactly a good person himself, whereas Gail, aside from being a meth cook, had never harmed anyone. Anyone remember how Jesse wailed and screamed when he witnessed Andrea answer the door and get shot by Todd? I would imagine that Gail's mother might have let out a similar scream were she to witness her son's death.

As for Andrea's death, it was a horrible thing. BUT, that picture inside Todd's lab made it clear to Jesse that she and Brock's lives were being held as collateral for his cooperation. He took an (understandable) gamble when he tried to escape from their compound, and he lost -- big time. Not saying it's fair to Andrea and Brock, or that it was Jesse's fault, but he opted to take a huge risk.

-- Knowing that she was a former addict, Jesse partnered with Jane and together, they spiraled into drug use. Yes, Walter watched her die, maybe his most unforgivable crime - but Jesse was careless and selfish in allowing a girl who had cleaned her act to up to relapse because of him. He definitely has some blame there. It was irresponsible and selfish for an active drug user to enter into a relationship with a girl in a fragile state who had managed to clean up her act for 8 months.

-- Jesse witnessed an innocent kid get shot, and he did nothing about it. Oh wait, no, he punched Todd in the face and spiraled into a mopey existential funk. But he did nothing about it. Didn't report it, didn't avenge the kid... nothing. 10 out of 10 "good people" are going to report the murder of a child to the cops, regardless of the circumstances.

So yes, Jesse is a lovable kid most of the time, and even when he was being an idiot, you sort of pitied him, because he could be so childlike. But when people swear up and down that he's a "good person", I have to roll my eyes and assume that they're a young girl with the hots for Aaron Paul.
                        Last edited by stackem33; 10-02-2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• stackem33 - all great points you mention and is why I feel the way I do about Jessie

Comment

• Who is a 'good person' that's specifically that's directly related to meth use/production. Badger and Skinny Pete?
                            I ask just so there's someone to do a comparison to

Jesse cooked and smoked methamphetamine. Smoking it is one thing, but putting it out into the world to be consumed in another in my eyes.
                            Jesse murdered Gail in cold blood! Gail was an innocent person,

He does foolish things, like going to the rippers instead of buying a RV, but there's no inherent manipulation or 'evilness' in Jessie - unlike Walt, Todd, Lydia, Uncle Jack, Gus.

10 out of 10 "good people" are going to report the murder of a child to the cops, regardless of the circumstances.
                            So does this include Skylar being a 'bad person' now? Because she wouldn't go to the police about Walt, even after he essentially admitted to being a murderer?

Comment

• Ah, you conveniently left out (or didn't notice) when I said "Gail, aside from being a meth cook, had never harmed anyone."

Yes, he gets the same strike as Jesse for being a meth cook. But for Jesse, cooking meth is the first out of a laundry list of immoral things - it's Gail's only strike. He's also never participated in any violence, whereas Jesse, uh, shot him in the face.

And of course we have to call Skylar's morality into question (I don't recall saying she was a moral woman) ... it's the very crux of her character for the second half of the entire show! Should she turn Walt in? Why doesn't she? Is it because she can't bear to tell her children? Because she can't bear to condemn her husband? Because she's scared of the blow-back that might legally condemn her? Because underneath it all, she's pleased with the money coming in?

Skyler's helped Walt launder money from drugs and violence, she's committed adultery (not that she didn't have "good reasons", but there you go), and like you said, she's basically known her husband is a murderer, and she never went to the police. So no, I couldn't really say Skyler's a great person either. I also didn't compare Jesse to her, you did...

It doesn't change the fact that Jesse watched a kid get shot because he witnessed a crime that he helped commit - and did nothing about it other than punch Todd and sulk. You say that Jesse isn't manipulative and inherently evil like Todd, Jack, Tuco, etc... and I would agree. But does it mean he's a good person? No way. I don't give him points for not being a murderous, child-killing Nazi, or the ruler of a drug empire that murders anyone who stands in their way. The worlds jail cells are full of people who aren't inherently evil or manipulative criminal masterminds... doesn't mean they're good people, or that they haven't done horrible things.

He has some very moral qualities, but the kid has a serious rap sheet of immoral actions that include murder and staying hush-hush about witnessing a child murder that stemmed from his actions. If you continue to mess around with the dirty business he did, you will get some serious blood on your hands. I think people that swear he's a good person are delusional.

There are very few good people in the entire show - almost everyone is complicit in something that is outright immoral. That's what makes a show full of antiheroes so fun to watch - we love them and root for them in spite of what we see them do. But don't put on blinders and make excuses for people, as so many BB fans tend to do.

Not trying to be defensive of my Jesse point, but your argument put some words and comparisons in my mouth, and I don't think they hold up.
                              Last edited by stackem33; 10-03-2013, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• You can’t just add aside, that’s why I thought it to be irrelevant. Gale is still creating a substance that enables these atrocities to happen. They will happen regardless, but to call him innocent because he’s not intertwined with the other aspects of the meth industry is ignorant to his greyed morality and selfishness.
                                Which is basically the entire premise of BB

Jesse did not kill ‘in cold blood’ as you may want to remember it. Walter kills in cold blood, repeatedly. Jesse is reduced to tears when/after shooting Gale and then spends the next season coming to terms of what he has done.
                                He’s inherently against violence, as depicted in the train heist - as convinces everyone to devise a plan where they don’t have to kill the drivers of the train.

You have to remember Jessie is a kid in this show. He’s what… 22?
                                No education, no real family, idiot friends, drug addiction, no support behind him. In the first season his crew/friends only hang around him hoping that he has some drugs for them to scavenge off. He is alone and you can understand how his loyalty to Walt comes about, why he protects him against Gus.

The problem is people approach it in black and white. Which is yes, why I can understand your frustration when people call Jesse 'good'.
                                Jesse eventually admits to Hank and Gomie regarding the kids death . Everyone has demons and his are some massive ones, but he at least feels them in comparison to a lot of empathetic characters in the show.
                                Hence why he’s given a touch of sympathy and people come to his defence, because we are shown his humanity and coming to terms with what he has done and his struggles with acceptance.
                                He even eventually declares “I’m the bad guy” - this confession happens seasons before Walters pitiful "I did it for me".

But yes, inherently he’s not ‘a good person’, to define it as black/white, but the whole point of the show is that that definition doesn’t exist, but he’s one of the closest characters to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X