Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skate "walker"/tutor???

Hey boys, girls and mods.

I posted this up in the hot stove as well, only in hopes of getting a faster response. Appologies, so mods, do what ya gotta do.

It's been a while since I've been here, and did a search on a skating "walker", but came up empty handed.

My sons skating is going well, but he's grown very fond of these "walkers" that only one freakin' rink in Indy has. There nothing more than PVC pipes, screwed together to make a "walker" looking things for little guys and girls to hold on to while they skate.

At four, he almost doesn't need it anymore, but it's really helped him adapt to hockey skates faster, so I'm REALLY hoping some of yas can point me to a link that may sell them, or maybe a link with instructions on how to make one?

MacGuyver I'm not, so I need all the help I can get.

Again, sorry for the "wrong forum A-hole"!!!! post, but I'm kinda in a rush.

Thanks keeps!

V.

I'd tell him to screw the walker -- if he feels like he's losing his balance, have him bend his knees and touch his hands on his knees (swear to goodness, it works! lowers the center of gravity and keeps you from flailing your arms around).

I hate those dang things.... they teach kids to LEAN, not to skate and balance!

If he really MUST have a leaner, just get a couple of 5-gallon buckets (free at almost any restaurant), stack them together (one inside the other) to get the the right height, turn them over on the ice, and let him push that around. Hopefully he'll see how goofy it is, and he'll just let go and walk with baby steps, then he'll start to walk-and-coast, and in about a week he'll be skating.

Comment

Wow, now I remember why I don't want/need to talk to idiots like you on here anymore.

5 freaking gallon buckets? Are kidding me? You don't think we could find something similair, like oh I don't know ORANGE freaking cones, or a CHAIR???

Tell a 4 year old to "screw" something? People like you are the reason there's ZERO tollerance in rinks for kids nowadays.

Tell a four year old to "lean at the knees"....jeezus. He's got the attention span of a goldfish man. Most 4 year olds do. They just want to have fun at that age.

After years of being a member on here, this is the guy that will get me deleted.

Thanks for your "insight" jackass.

Comment

Originally posted by vincess View Post
        Wow, now I remember why I don't want/need to talk to idiots like you on here anymore.

5 freaking gallon buckets? Are kidding me? You don't think we could find something similair, like oh I don't know ORANGE freaking cones, or a CHAIR???

Tell a 4 year old to "screw" something? People like you are the reason there's ZERO tollerance in rinks for kids nowadays.

Tell a four year old to "lean at the knees"....jeezus. He's got the attention span of a goldfish man. Most 4 year olds do. They just want to have fun at that age.

After years of being a member on here, this is the guy that will get me deleted.

WOW

First you ask a question that could be answered with google with less time then it takes to post here.

Second G-R-U is trying to help you teach your child to be a better skater. G-R-U has a kid not much older than yours that is a damn solid goalie for his age so I am sure G-R-U has a small I-oda of WTFGO.

Third teach your kid some patience, I remeber being 4 and not having a short attention span when it came to something I wanted to learn. Maybe this is your kids way of telling you subconsciously telling you he doesn't want anything to do with hockey or skating.

Comment

I think YOU are the guy that is going to get you deleted.

By the way, there is no "U" in MacGyver.

Comment

Holy crap, man. Relax. Don't take everything so literally.

He's just trying to help.

What rink in Indy are you going to? Pan Am, Skatium, the new rink in Carmel, or The Forum at Fishers or even the Fairgrounds? There's more than one rink in Indianapolis.

If you want to build something out of PVC, there couldn't be anything easier to work with. Draw it out, buy what you need ( enough to do the job and the correct fittings and couplings ), and glue it together. A quick walk through the Lowes or Home Depot plumbing area and one of their experts can show you what to do in five minutes. All you need is the material, a hacksaw ( or whatever you want to cut the PVC with ), and a bottle of primer and glue.

So simple, Thumper can do it.

Comment

I'm so confused

Comment

Stuff

What?

Still confused...

Who are you?

Comment

Tim,

the one in Carmel is the only one that has these things. You from Indy?

Anyways, thanks for the tip on Lowes, and if you are from around here "one of their experts"....haha. Just being cynical, as the Lowes in Glendale is far from an expert store.

I figure I can probably take a snap of one of 'em, and go to the Lowes in Carmel, where ever, and show someone their what it looks like. You may be on to something.

By the way, when it comes to my son, I take everything quite literally. I came here for advice on some little peice of plastic, and in less than 2 hours I got 3 JOs giving me advice about how to raise my son.
                  Gilding the lilly a bit? Probably....but again, I didn't ask anyone what to say to my son, or how to teach him patience...

Thanks again Tim, and man that new rink at Carmel is sweet...

Comment

The Linwood Lil Skater is PVC, but they seem to be out of stock on every website. These guys seem to be getting them mid-Jan.

Linwood LIL' SKATER Beginner's Skating Support

We have these ones out here:

Canadian Tire

They're supposed to be good for posture. I see them everywhere in rinks. Very popular.
                    Last edited by Cujie31; 01-08-2008, 10:18 PM.

Comment

By the way, when it comes to my son, I take everything quite literally. I came here for advice on some little peice of plastic, and in less than 2 hours I got 3 JOs giving me advice about how to raise my son.
                      Gilding the lilly a bit? Probably....but again, I didn't ask anyone what to say to my son, or how to teach him patience...
                      No, someone offered advice and an alternative method and you snapped their head off. GRU is well known for not only being helpful, but having a budding star in net at a young age -- he's darned impressive, primarily due to her efforts.

You take things 'literally'? That's your excuse? This is a message board for goodness sakes. I've seen so many 4 year-olds that can skate without any assistance that your request almost seems humorous, or sad -- take it how you wish.

"People like you are the reason there's ZERO tollerance in rinks for kids nowadays."
                      I don't even need to argue that statement -- it's so ridiculous that I'm not going to try.
                      Last edited by ThePM; 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Tim,

Anyways, thanks for the tip on Lowes, and if you are from around here "one of their experts"....haha. Just being cynical, as the Lowes in Glendale is far from an expert store.

I figure I can probably take a snap of one of 'em, and go to the Lowes in Carmel, where ever, and show someone their what it looks like. You may be on to something.

I have family there and lived there from 1995 through 1998. Love that city. Lived right by the Forum off 132nd and 37. Played a lot of hockey there.

Comment

Sorry about all the idiots on the board here, I'm sure you're frustrated by the lack of a good, solid answer. I'll try to help you out here, never mind all the other morons.

One of the local rinks around here has a great system for helping kids learn to skate. They don't use those PVC walker things, those get shaky and are a bit dangerous, PVC can get brittle when it's on ice and too cold. They went through a bunch of those things, and after not too long, they fell apart, some while kids were skating with them. The other problem is that the bigger kids use them, and they were breaking them. They had to find something more indestructible, and cheaper if possible. We all know how cheap rink owners can be.

After a bunch of research, they came up with the best thing for the little ones to use while learning to skate. They're very sturdy, cheap, and have a multitude of uses in addition to helping kids learn to skate. They can be used for the smallest kids, and when the bigger ones need a hand, you put a few together and it works for taller kids.

What is this miracle tool they use??? Five gallon buckets. Dozens of them, all over the place.

Glad I could be of assistance.

Comment

Tim,

Wow...Just wow!!!

G-R-U ...Dont be offended by this. You do a great job posting on this board and your son is a helluva a goaltender. Keep up the good work mommy!!!

Vincess, Nobody here was trying to do anything but offer solid advice, even if it was an alternative. G-R-U said nothing that should've stirred you up like that. Maybe we all took you as someone who isnt competent because 1) you obviously have no clue how to do a Google search and 2) it seems like PVC piping is causing such terrible anguish to you.
                            Oh and by the way, I have some more parenting advice for you... Try to keep your son well away from that bad attitude of yours, because you obviously have one.

Have a nice day...Jackass!!!
                            Last edited by JON; 01-09-2008, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for having my back! Gee, I take one evening off from the computer, and all he!! breaks loose!!! Reading your posts in my defense, I could almost hear Elton John's "Can you feel the love tonight" song in the background.

Hey vincess, I never said to tell him to "lean at the knees" (not even sure what that means??? ) -- it would appear that you had some difficulty with reading comprehension. I said to have him bend his knees and touch his knees with his hands if he felt wobbly -- it's a trick to give him confidence that he really can stop himself from falling down without the need for this thing that he's dependent upon. Once he has that confidence in himself, he'll progress quite quickly.

For what it's worth, I am the mother of a 7yo boy (almost 8yo... birthday's coming up on the 17th -- time sure does fly!). He started skating in the fall when he was 4yo, taught by the local youth hockey program. A year later he took a few group lessons taught by the local figure skating program.

The summer that he was 6yo, when he was still only an outskater (meaning not a goalie yet), five of the six coaches at his hockey camp said he was the best 6yo skater they'd ever seen (the sixth coach, co-owner of a national hockey camp/school, only said he was "one of the best" 6yo skater he'd ever seen).

This summer at a goalie camp, the coach (a current pro goalie) told me he was a better skater than most of the High School Goalies in the camp alongside him (all the other goalies were in high school at that camp).

If you want the best, fastest, most economical way to get your kid skating well, this is my advice:

1. No contrivances to teach them to lean rather than balance.

2. Group learn-to-skate lessons taught by figure skaters (not hockey players).

And if you're still a disbeliever, maybe this will help. I took these videos exactly one year apart from each other (wasn't planned that way -- I didn't even realize it was the exact same date -- 10/16 -- until I looked up the original video to make the comparison).

In the 10-16-04 video, he had completed two one-hour sessions of the youth hockey's Learn To Skate class. In the 10-16-05 video, he had had roughly a month (four one-hour sessions, each with 30 minutes of instruction and 30 minutes of practice/free skate time) of skating lessons from the figure skaters under his belt, in addition to the LTS/LTP hockey program from the year previous. At the time the 2005 video was taken, he had just been taught how to do crossovers three days previous at his skating class -- he picked it up in about five minutes from the figure skater who showed him how to do it.

There are five clips here:

1--Dom skating at high speed on 10-16-2004
                              2--Dom skating on 10-16-2004, take note of the complicated turning maneuver!
                              3--Dom skating one year later at high speed on 10-16-2005
                              4--Dom doing his "flip-backs" on 10-16-2005 -- that was his word for transitioning from forwards to backwards and back again
                              5--Dom on 10-16-2005 doing his crossovers when turning

What a difference one simple year can make.

4MB video download

or

1MB download (same thing, lower quality)

Like it or not, vincess, I *do* know what I'm talking about when it comes to getting a small child to learn how to skate. And pushing an artificial balance "helper" on the ice surface is NOT the way to do it. (The parents of a kid I know put their kid out on the ice two years ago with a "helper". Now, two years later, he's STILL only pushing around his "helper". Oh, and I forgot to mention -- his dad works for a hockey club (off-ice position) and the kid gets on the ice regularly at public skate events. The "helper" has not helped him to learn to skate at all -- it has merely hindered his skill development.)

Comment

Working...
                              X