X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• icecaps
    started a topic "Dear Architects"

"Dear Architects"

One of my architecture professors sent this to me. It seems to be even funnier, if you are an architect, studying architecture as a student, or know someone who is an architect. To see the full view, open it up in another window.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...cts_Page_1.jpg
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...cts_Page_2.jpg
    Last edited by Foxton; 11-03-2007, 06:39 PM. Reason: Direct linked to the images rather than in the post as they bypassed swear filter

• buffay34
    replied
    Since this is pretty much the official Architects thread, I would like to post some interesting information. HGTV just premiered a new show last week called Extreme Living. For architects, it is an indepth look at unique houses (bridge house, tower house, refrigerator house, and cliff house have been the 4 houses that have been shown through the first two episodes). Just thought I'd pass along the information on the show as it is a great show, and I have the whole season being TiVo'd for reference to use for models.

Leave a comment:

• darthlampe
    replied
    Originally posted by buffay34 View Post
    Care to explain your experiences? I am nearing the end of year 1 of 6/7.....

It was just so much work for so little payout. My class and I would work for hours and hours on end, pulling all-nighters repeatedly(And we had the class scheduled for 3 hours every day). Ultimately, the work suffers and neither you nor your professors are happy with the outcome.

I remember the one model I made, I spent so much detail work on the interior and got praised for it by everyone on the panel(We had critiques for all major projects where all the profs would attend as well as the whole class) and I ended up getting a B. I was so much better than my class at the computer level and I really liked using programs but it wasn't ever a focal point.

First and foremost though, I've worked with a few "clients" on some projects. No buildings, but tiny gazeebos or carts, etc. It really woke me up. You're not making things for you, you're making it for the client. I never liked dismissing the client, I think it's unethical, selfish, and impractical. Mies might disagree! So then it becomes working on things you don't like, don't agree with, and find boring. And there's the large chance that all your work will be worthless and they'll decide on someone else.

There's more, but you get the idea.

Leave a comment:

• buffay34
    replied
    Originally posted by darthlampe View Post
    Hahaha, funny article. I'm so glad I got out of Architecture. Best decision I've ever made.
    Care to explain your experiences? I am nearing the end of year 1 of 6/7.....

Leave a comment:

• darthlampe
    replied
    Hahaha, funny article. I'm so glad I got out of Architecture. Best decision I've ever made.

Leave a comment:

• buffay34
    replied
    I found an interesting quote in one of my texts, and could not help but to share it, as it deals with Architects vs. Engineers (not to start the whole battle again):

"Architects know something about everything while engineers know everything about something."

Leave a comment:

• kicksave27
    replied
    foam core and balsa is your friend.

Leave a comment:

• buffay34
    replied
    Well, class is back in session, so the architecture project are starting to pile up. My current project is a ground analysis of a chosen site; I chose the Farnsworth House by Mies Van Der Rohe. I am thinking (and suggested by my professor) of casting the project out of plaster. Anyone have any experience with this and give give me some insight on the do's and dont's?

Leave a comment:

• punisher
    replied
    like many i really like FLW, got a brutally good book about him, with replica's of his letters, drawings etc.

man, i envy Azdave for that,

i really am hoping to make a trip someday to check out some American architectural beauties. most in Europe i have seen.
    Falling water is on the top of the "to see list."

pun.

Leave a comment:

• puctrgt
    replied
    Honestly had to look a couple of those guys up. ( I started school as an engineer, but have always been kind of artistic. Sticks and bricks guy, now)

I like FLW, (initial response to the future techs) and Bauhaus. Oud kinda exemplifies our diners here, in a strange way. Must be the "rail-car" look, or something.

azdave lives just up the hill from Taliesin. Perfect building. I don't design, but recognize the good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• punisher
    replied
    Originally posted by puctrgt View Post
    Not much a fan of Koenig, although I do like Iwata. Reminds me of an Edsel!

I use Iwatas for painting, too, if irony rears its head again!
    LOL, well i do like the house and what it represents, i like his lighter constructions better.

my personal favs are, Horta, Gaudi, wiener secession, wagner (postsparkasse, vienna) and Mackintosh for the pre WW1 architecture.

the interbellum with Van Velden, bauhaus, Frank Lloyd Wright, Le corbusier and J.J.P. Oud.

but it got more interesting after WW2, that list is actually to big to put here.
    but i'll pic a few names.

Ando
    Piano
    Calatrava
    coop himmelblau
    O Ghery
    Koolhaas
    Luis Barragan

and a lot more but i transferred from architecture to design, and i'm starting to forget people, sadly.

need to polish up my knowledge again.

pun.

Leave a comment:

• puctrgt
    replied
    Not much a fan of Koenig, although I do like Iwata. Reminds me of an Edsel!

I use Iwatas for painting, too, if irony rears its head again!

Leave a comment:

• punisher
    replied
    Originally posted by Coldaccord View Post
    its in barcelona, spain. it was built in 1928-29, demolished in 1930, and rebuilt in 1959 to original specs

ahh old ludwig's.
    if you like that style also check out
    following guys.

JEAN NOUVEL (his earlier work is more square)

Pierre Koenig (love his work)
    also

jean prouve (especially his furniture)

pun.

Leave a comment:

• Coldaccord
    replied
    im making a video walkthrough of it now, maybe I'll post it on youtube when its rendered

Leave a comment:

• puctrgt
    replied
    Forget it. I had a bad feeling about, and after looking again, it is much more complex.

I'll just sit in the corner and do as I'm told!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X