"Dear Architects"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dear Architects"

One of my architecture professors sent this to me. It seems to be even funnier, if you are an architect, studying architecture as a student, or know someone who is an architect. To see the full view, open it up in another window.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...cts_Page_1.jpg
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...cts_Page_2.jpg
    Last edited by Foxton; 11-03-2007, 06:39 PM. Reason: Direct linked to the images rather than in the post as they bypassed swear filter

HAHAHA. Definitely a good read, and I can easily relate to things mentioned (first year Architecture student). I did not realize some of the stuff, until now too.

My take on architecture based on my first semester:

Comment

Whats the saying?????

oh yeah..

Architects make things pretty.....Engineers make things work.......

Comment

Originally posted by rbrownie View Post
        Whats the saying?????

oh yeah..

Architects make things pretty.....Engineers make things work.......
        If it wasn't for architects, everything constructed would be large blocks that all look the same.

Comment

But at least we'd be able to find the doorways, and hallways wouldn't dead end into nothingness.

Comment

only 4 weeks until i finish. thank god. december 6th, I will be waiting for you

Comment

Yeah, I can't wait until the days when I can sleep normally again. There will be no more all nighters and weeks where I could count the amount of sleep I had for a night on one hand.

Buffay, that is a great drawing.

Who will last the four or five years it takes for a undergraduate architect?

Comment

Originally posted by icecaps View Post
                Yeah, I can't wait until the days when I can sleep normally again. There will be no more all nighters and weeks where I could count the amount of sleep I had for a night on one hand.

Buffay, that is a great drawing.

Who will last the four or five years it takes for a undergraduate architect?
                I know I will last for at least 5. I have already interned for 6 months early this year at a local firm, and I know this is what I really want to do. As I type, I am waiting for the glues and solvents to dry on my project (****ing plexiglas ).

I haven't yet decided whether I want to do a 5 year Pro Bachelors, or a 6 year Bach. and Pro Master...... I got 3 more semesters to decide 100%.....

I got that picture from a buddy in my class..... its great!

Comment

Originally posted by buffay34 View Post
                  As I type, I am waiting for the glues and solvents to dry on my project (****ing plexiglas ).

!

Do you guy get to choose the materials that you use and what class is that for? I know for my college, the first year everyone has to use basswood for design. (so expensive).

For design, I had to create 3 five by five cubes that abstractly showed the movement of the body as I got dressed. Then we had to create a 9x9 cube combining the three smaller cubes. Now we are taking that cube and making into a 18 x 18 building for a fashion show. It is so difficult coming from a school that was academic and now I have to think abstractly.

technics we get to actually build real life objects such as a cantilever, and tower.
                  Last edited by icecaps; 11-05-2007, 02:11 AM.

Comment

The project is for my design class. This project we are only allowed to use plexiglass and basswood. We have two selected volume elements (one is cubic, one is vertical), and we have to show relation and spatial joints. Our elements are covered in gesso (a very thin plaster like spread). My model is about 12x16x12.

Most of the time, we use chipboard. Bad part is that all stores that carry chipboard in South Florida is sold out, so I went online and ordered 100lbs of chipboard for myself

All the projects I have done thus far are based on the manipulation of space through mass and void. We are not allowed to use any terms or gestures that replicate architecture whether it be a building or something of that nature.

Class is a lot of thinking, which gets very annoying as I'll be designing and building a project one night for 6 hours, and then right after, have to write a 5 page paper for College Writing class.

My professor is really good with giving use proper and clear guidelines in projects. The other design1 class at my school, their professor gives them total freedom on material, which I don't like and agree with, since you bring another factor of color into the picture with too many different materials.

Comment

remember that seifeld...

"Well, isn't an architect just an art school drop-out with a tilty desk, and a big ruler?"

Comment

I used to be the project manager for a restaurant supply house. I oversaw the installation of commercial kitchens from the ground breaking to finish. I had to deal with many architects. My experiences have led me to the following observation.

Architects are like cheap beer. They are both bland, boring, and annoying but we shall never be rid of them.

It is also my observation from having to coordinate with many trades people as well that architects beget plumbers and in return plumbers beget architects.

Comment

Icecaps, Do they make you take any courses in structures / engineering ?

Comment

ungh. i took a "nap" last night and slept from basically 10pm-8am. Felt great to get a full nights sleep, but I slept through a lot of work.

I had to spend the next 3 hours in the computer lab finishing my 3d drawing of the barcelona pavillion and printing it. missed the class it was due in (8:30-9:50) and because of the wait it wasn't printed till 11:30, but luckily they were still in the office grading so I handed it in. now I have to edit this paper on urban homesteading, get to court for a bs tint & front plate ticket, somehow find time to put the header on my car (exhaust manifold has a crack) and I'm skipping hockey practice to do so.

4 more weeks. 4 more weeks.

Comment

Ceramic headers or something?

You should get a warm accord

Comment

Working...
                              X