2012 Presidential Debates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Presidential Debates

I know it probably seems odd that a Canadian is starting this thread.

Here is what I hope voters in the United States will do:

Actually listen to what each candidate has to say and how they refute what the other claims about them. In other words don't cheer for "your guy" to win. Educate yourselves and actually THINK how the policies of each candidate will affect YOU. Wade through the talking points and propaganda, take off your party blinders.

I know that's a lot to ask in your broken 2 party system.

Awww, who am I kidding, tonite's episode of Honey Boo Boo will probably have higher ratings than this debate.

Originally posted by G-Naz View Post

Actually listen to what each candidate has to say and how they refute what the other claims about them. In other words don't cheer for "your guy" to win. Educate yourselves and actually THINK how the policies of each candidate will affect YOU. Wade through the talking points and propaganda, take off your party blinders.

Awww, who am I kidding, tonite's episode of Honey Boo Boo will probably have higher ratings than this debate.
    Thanks for the advice...

Comment

If this was an actual debate then we might learn something about these two.

This is just a staged Q&A where the highlight might be some "zinger" or maybe a "gaffe". Little substance has come out of debates since they went on television.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Naz View Post

Sad thing is that you're probably right.

Comment

It doesn't matter who wins, everyone will come here to either celebrate or ream the successful candidate. Both candidates will lie through their teeth, depends on who lies more convincingly.

Comment

Debates now are little about substance and really just show who can look/sound better in front of an audience. Both guys will say things that are untrue (just look at a debate fact check afterwards, or This now) and make promises no one could keep. They're going to keep harping on the same stuff we've heard a million times already and never actually provide detailed solutions to anything. So let's see who can bull**** the best!
            Last edited by L7spider; 10-03-2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I'm with Brebs, if these were actual debates, rather than talking point sound bytes, then there might actually be some learning about the candidates and where they stand on things, as well as a winner or loser.

I'd like to think the high point of public debate was Lincoln v. Douglas in 1858.

If you have some time to kill, read some of these incredibly articulate debates on the issues of the day in Illinois. You can see how far America has fallen in terms of intellectualism, ideas and language since that time.

Lincoln, Abraham. 1897. Political Debates Between Lincoln and Douglas

Comment

It should be like the episode of "The Newsroom"

Comment

Obama before tonight's debate: pacing back and forth in an empty, dark-lit bathroom, smoking cigarettes, shadowboxing, nodding his head, randomly mumbling "these mother****ers..."

Comment

Debate is a misnomer. I would call it a showcase.

Showcase defined as: A setting in which someone or something may be displayed, especially to advantage.

Comment

I will echo what some have said here, that I got from talking to two poli sci professors who are Americans living abroad, one o which I know will be voting in this election.

They said the first debate will indeed be a showcase. No real policy discussed. Instead the candidates will be defining themselves as people to the viewers, so you can get to know their personality a bit better.

However, listening to a UBC poli sci prof on the radio today, he was saying that this election will see the largest number of absentee and early voter ballots in American election history, and the majority will be cast after this debate, so the candidates may very well indeed shift the usual focus on personality over to policy.

This debate could be the most interesting because of the variables explained above apparently. With no clear direction, we may get a larger number of gaffes. Then again, it could just be business as usual.

How's that for a political science answer? Nice and ambiguous lol

Comment

The moderator is killing the debate...let em talk.

Comment

A few things I noticed...

I prefer Romneys voice compared to Obama's... (random fact)

Romney did a hell of a lot of interrupting

Romney had a lot of mis speaking example: "well for poor people.. Excuse me, lower income". They both mean the same but come out different.

Just a short list, but something I noticed.

Comment

The candidate who ends the NHL lockout gets my vote.

Cubanpuckstoppr, over and out

Comment

Originally posted by CubanPuckstoppr View Post
                              The candidate who ends the NHL lockout gets my vote.

Cubanpuckstoppr, over and out
                              I'm not sure Don Cherry can legally run for US office

Comment

Working...
                              X