...meanwhile in Pakistan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Ambassador to Libya killed

Too bad he was trying to push his unwelcome and insignificant western liberal democracy in a part of the world that has no interest. Maybe Americans should get over their desire for oil before more ambassadors bite the dust. I guess American imperialism is over, eh?

It's not just Americans that can be insensitive.

Comment

LOL this a awesome article
      Last edited by jconc1941; 09-21-2012, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Following the Profit.

We are not getting out of these countries. There is just too much business. It's not just oil. There are developing financial markets, health, telecom, shipping, construction. The list just goes on and on. These people wake up and go outside and there is new Wal-mart next store to the new McDonalds that serves regional fare and delivers. The world of the Mid East is changing faster than most of it's people can possibly handle. This is also happening in Pakurbagsastan and India.
        The bottom line is that we aren't leaving because either we make the deals or we step back and let China cut the deals. Sorry, but it's game on and we are in it for the long run. I have a choice, I can stay in the U.S. and take a pay cut in my high tech job or I can go to A-stan and pull in $300K plus working with bleeding edge technology. It's boom town over there and Arab Spring upped the ante. Most American's judge the rest of the world having never been anywhere or really done anything. One night in Dubai will change that world view forever. I am sorry but your Toyota Prius rental is unavailable would you accept a Lamborghini comp on the house? Here is the biggest secret in the world. Iran. Everyone in Iran want's to live like American's. They are held back by corrupt religious leaders who are terrified of losing their power and control. Their days are numbered. The only constant in this world is change and that change is becoming exponential. What we are seeing in the Mid-East are the beginnings of the last acts of defiance against moving into a new and frightening existence. You can drop an American on the surface of Mar's and in a short time he will find a way to make it profitable.

Comment

Timber, I'd like your thoughts on this hypothetical scenario. You are going on a year long trip to visit every Middle Eastern country for whatever reason you'd like, its up to you. Do you believe you would make it through the entire trip safely? Why or why not? What do you believe your receptions would be like? Why? I am actually very interested in your thoughts on this and why particular events on this "trip" may or may not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by willyd42 View Post
            Timber, I'd like your thoughts on this hypothetical scenario. You are going on a year long trip to visit every Middle Eastern country for whatever reason you'd like, its up to you. Do you believe you would make it through the entire trip safely? Why or why not? What do you believe your receptions would be like? Why? I am actually very interested in your thoughts on this and why particular events on this "trip" may or may not happen.
            I'd set up a PayPal account where GSBB members could contribute to fund the trip, hypothetically speaking of course

Comment

We should put poisons and plastics into the flag that so when burnt it kills those around it.

Let them have their constitutional rights and freedom of speech, but let whoever destroys something that I have pride in pay a price

Comment

Originally posted by SRS BZNS View Post
                We should put poisons and plastics into the flag that so when burnt it kills those around it.

Let them have their constitutional rights and freedom of speech, but let whoever destroys something that I have pride in pay a price
                Just have the flags manufactured in China.

Comment

Originally posted by CoopALoop1234 View Post
                  I've heard that fox news is a credible and unbiased source for news.

Thanks!
                  lol at your typical lefty rhetoric

Comment

Originally posted by ptrinh View Post
                    lol at your typical lefty rhetoric
                    Are you implying that Fox News is credible and unbiased?

I have great pride in the enlightened, politically-free, economically-free, philosophically-free, intellectually-free civilization we Westerners (mostly Europeans and descendants) have built. The United States is one of the greatest achievements of that civilization even though there are still a lot of ignorant dolts who think they can have all those freedoms while mistaking a symbol for the thing it represents.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right in this society. In order to improve the society, you have to change the bad stuff, and that means you have to be able to point out the bad stuff. Pointing out problems is not an evil thing; it is a necessary component of patriotism. I've been criticized a lot for unpopular views, most of which have to do with errors those in power make. If I just go along with some jerk in political office, I'm no better than many of my countrymen two generations ago. In Germany in the 1930s they developed a virulent form of nationalism. No criticism of the government was tolerated. Everyone had to salute the Leader. You Americans love to point that out, but sometimes I wonder whether some of you got the lesson.

This thread is about flag-burning. Oh, dear, the United States can't survive some goat-herder burning up a thing that sort of looks like a US flag if you squint. If you do not protect speech, even what you disagree with, then you do not believe in free speech.

If the United States outlaws flag-burning, then I will buy a US flag, drop it on the ground, and ask some Boy Scouts to burn it for me. (That's always legal in the proposed laws.) I will video tape that and post it on YouTube as a protest of the infringement on freedom of speech that such a law would represent.

Originally posted by willyd42 View Post
                    No. I think your clever-clever little scenario is not entirely honest. You're hiding some assumptions about my beliefs. Get real first and tell us the rhetorical point you're trying to make. Tell us what you think I'm thinking. Let's see if you understand at all what I've been saying.
                    Last edited by Timberwoof; 09-21-2012, 01:52 PM. Reason: The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. Fixed italics.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt that it would be illegal to burn a flag at some point.

I know in my township there are rules and laws about displaying the US flag. Home owners may display the stars and stripes but it has to be brought down every night and can not be displayed in a worn or tattered state.

My parents got a $50 fine for leaving their flag up over night the first night the bought one

Comment

I feel bad for those people.

Look how much time effort they waste protesting the US.

Meanwhile none of here even give a hoot about them.

Do they think we're watching the news and are shocked to see them doing this - again?

"What!? They're burning the US flag?! I can't believe it!"

Comment

You are allowed to burn the flag. There is actually a proper way to do it, and it is supposed to be done for old and worn out flags.

I am perfectly fine with someone in this country or another one burning the flag as a sign of protest. Do I like it...hell no. I would do this everytime: The Greatest Play In Baseball History- Rick Monday - YouTube

But if you believe in freedom of speech then that speech has to include hate speech. I just think for every flag those ****ers burn especially if done so in the USA some nice patriotic person should walk up to them and burn the Quaran to remind them that freedom of speech works both ways. Just make sure when you do it you have a concealed weapons permit so then you can exercise your other freedoms

Comment

Do that... and you are just the same as the idiotic radicals that attacked American Embassy because of a film.

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                            I feel bad for those people.

Look how much time effort they waste protesting the US.
                            Probably less time than the average American spends on Twitter and Facebook... or watching news about Kardashians...

Comment

Bark

Wow, I'm amazed at how many anti-American or derogatory comments get made on this board. IMO that is the #1 problem today, no pride in ownership. Sad! If you are not actively "fixing" these American/Western items that you complain about then please shut the f**k up. You are not helping, just whining.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan#35 View Post
                                US Ambassador to Libya killed

Too bad he was trying to push his unwelcome and insignificant western liberal democracy in a part of the world that has no interest. Maybe Americans should get over their desire for oil before more ambassadors bite the dust. I guess American imperialism is over, eh?

It's not just Americans that can be insensitive.
                                So are you saying that....he deserved to die for pushing his "unwelcome and insignificant western liberal democracy"?

Because that is how your comments read.

Comment

Working...
                                X