#^*+=##%% geese!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    I proudly punched a seagull on the Ocean City boardwalk.
    I proudly attempted to tape two pigeons together with a roll of Renfrew...while visiting the Vatican.

Bastards got away and pooped on the person standing next to me.

Comment

We have tons of the little bastids ( two ponds here, dozens of other ponds nearby ).

Karma reared its ugly head about a month ago, though.

Nailed one in the side from about 120 yards away from the teebox. There were two short of the fairway on the bank of a small pond at a local course, and I shanked one low and straight.... THUD. ( the goose was ok ).

The best part, I still birdied the hole! ( twice! )

Comment

Problem solved:

http://aleheads.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/goose.jpg

Comment

I can't even leave my sunroof open to let heat escape when I'm at school -- there's goose poop EVERYWHERE there.

And in nursing school most of the students have rolling suitcases for their books (a typical semester can have 20 pounds of books to be carted around), so you have to watch where you drag your bookbag or you'll end up with goose poop all over your bag.

Comment

I arrive at my lake house/cottage every weekend, and have to clean up the s*** these pieces of garbage leave all over my lawn. It is truly disgusting, and while I am not a gun advocate, I would consider shooting them if it were legal. I currently throw stones at them and turn the hose on then, but they just keep coming back! Man how I would like to blow a few away just to set an example. On Sunday afternoons they actually collect on the small islands in front of our summer home. It's like they know we are leaving at dinner time, and just can't wait to swim up on our beach and start s***ing all over the place. I know that when we arrive next Friday my lawn will be awash with their fecal matter. My neighbor suggests we kill them, but as a protected species here in Ontario, I cannot go to jail just to save myself from cleaning up a bit of goose s***.

Comment

The village I live in was having a problem with them in a small park and on shared Elementary/Middle School grounds. The village officials did research and found that Canadian geese don't like, I believe I am recalling this correctly, Kentucky Bluegrass. They put that down and got rid of most of the geese. I may be wrong on the species of grass as they did this some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey 32 View Post
                I arrive at my lake house/cottage every weekend, and have to clean up the s*** these pieces of garbage leave all over my lawn. It is truly disgusting, and while I am not a gun advocate, I would consider shooting them if it were legal. I currently throw stones at them and turn the hose on then, but they just keep coming back! Man how I would like to blow a few away just to set an example. On Sunday afternoons they actually collect on the small islands in front of our summer home. It's like they know we are leaving at dinner time, and just can't wait to swim up on our beach and start s***ing all over the place. I know that when we arrive next Friday my lawn will be awash with their fecal matter. My neighbor suggests we kill them, but as a protected species here in Ontario, I cannot go to jail just to save myself from cleaning up a bit of goose s***.
                Make a wood cutout of a dog shape and they should stay away, we've used this at spots on our golf course, also if one bird is poisoned in an area that group will never come back, not saying poison is the way to go, but I'm not saying it's not either

Comment

I like that idea, but poison sounds better. If one were so inclined, how would one administer it?

Comment

Make a wood cutout of a dog shape and they should stay away, we've used this at spots on our golf course, also if one bird is poisoned in an area that group will never come back, not saying poison is the way to go, but I'm not saying it's not either
                    On that same note geese do like trumpeter swans - if you can find a decoy or like above a cut out they work well. Or get yourself a herding dog like a border collie - the geese also don't like the predatory stance they take when approaching them.

FYI, goose meat makes a great low fat jerky.

Comment

I hired this guy for 10 bucks an hour to stand on my lawn. The geese are absolutely terrified of his pads and/or haircut. It works like a charm.

Comment

Wood dogs are easy. Like I said, you need to move them around occasionally too. Geese will get brave then the other geese will see the brave one and land near it.

All you're looking to do is to have the geese land elsewhere. So when they flying by and scanning the ground for somewhere to land, they see the dog shape, they pass.

I use 1/2 plywood (osb isn't fun in rain) to make the dog shapes. Then I take a 8" piece of 2x4 and screw it to the shape. Drill out 1" hole 4" deep in the 2x4 bottom. Mount the dogs on 2' lengths of 3/4 or 1" pipe.

The wind will turn them here and there too.

I thought about adding phony dog tags that would jingle in the wind too. Geese can hear.

I also paint everything black. For the weather and the best contrast. Beauty of the plywood dogs is that they can be picked up and stored easy as they are thin and light.
                        Last edited by MTH; 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey 32 View Post
                          I like that idea, but poison sounds better. If one were so inclined, how would one administer it?
                          Not saying I have or have not done it, and not saying I am advising you to do so, but I was told by a friend of friend of a friend of my sister in law's, that if one was to soak a few slices of white bread in bleach and leave it where the geese happen to be, they will disapear quite quickly, I was also "told" that if you have any other bird or animals around that would eat said bread they would also be on a milk carton in short order. Again all hypothetical

Comment

Also if any animals eat said missing geese, they too will become missing.

Comment

Qualilty Ultrasonic Bird Repeller, New Delhi, India - Offer-ID:1466416391

I'm having a pigeon problem under the solar panel - my contractor suggested looking into a noise frequency modulator - it could probably be used on geese too.

Comment

Could not resist....

Comment

Working...
                                X