10 min major...served by ME!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 min major...served by ME!?!

So I have a great story out there for everyone, this past season my school was playing Nichols College (ECAC NE D3) and well, we just happened to have the worst official in the history of hockey. I have never ever been able to blame a loss on a ref for a game until this specific incident. The first period is under way and we some how take a nice 2-0 lead at the end of the first with 1 short handed goal since we were in the box for 12mins of the 20 in the period. Period 2 comes into play and we take a 3-0 lead before the biggest joke of a call I have seen in my career was about to occur. So Nichols College, noticing all the calls the refs are giving them (at our home rink...a shocker I love how Johnson and Wales always leads the league by 200 or so PIMS because of refs) decides to start taking dives at every chance they get. One such incident happens infront of my net, so I decide to chirp the player a bit, without swearing at him because I already knew the ref was on a power trip, and the damn zebra throws up the hands to the hips for a miconduct penalty.

As I do not realize what his call is about I line up for the face off, in which to hear the head ref whailing away on his whistle and screaming at me to get into the box. The linesmen are just as shocked as I am and I don't know what to do. To my prior knowledge of hockey, it was players that served a goalies 10min. But according to this "REF" it was me, yes the goalie that had to sit in the box for 10mins. Our fans are irate, my coach is about to choke out the ref, and I am comtiplating 2 handing him in the face with my stick. SO I take the box, furious all 10mins as our cold goalie had to go in and give up 3 goals to allow nichols to tie the game.

I return to the ice, and we ended up ending the period 4-4. Our leading scorer Craig Houle who had I believe 47 points this season, is someone who is accoustomed to putting the puck in the net. When he scored the 4th goal of the game, he skated past the bench to do the usual high 5 and we then assigned a 10min major himself for excessive celebration. So now not only has our ref given myself a 10min major, but also our top scorer on our team and our league.

All in all at the end of the game, after OT we the game was tied at 4-4 ( i really hope NCAA changes the OT rules...they suck, lets go ShOOTOUT!)
    Our team had 3 game misconducts and 4 10 min majors. If I could remember the officals name I would put it in here for all of you to fear. He is the perfect example of someone who never made it in hockey and decided to have a nice power trip with his whistle. If I ever see him in a dark ally way I will chop off all his damn fingers so he can never hold a whistle again!!

P.s. Sorry for the typo pals, just work up and its kind of hard to type while laying down...hope everyone enjoys or has some funny stories themselves to add!

That's an awwwwwesome story, I love it and I can just imagine what was going through yer brain during it all!

In my first year in the PCJHL we were playing in a pretty dirty rough game, and the officiating was awful. I was backing up during this particular game. 1st period our coach gets kicked out, 2nd period our assistant coach gets kicked out. 3rd period we get a bench minor, so I tell our trainer who is now our "coach" that I'd go serve the minor. I guess the ref didn't notice right away that a freakin goalie was skating across the ice to serve the penalty, but he sure noticed when the penalty ended and I skated onto the ice to join the play

Unfortunately, the league suspended me and our trainer 3 games each "for making a mockery of a league official" 20 years later we still laugh at the story

Comment

One time, while playing Junior, we were leading 7-2 middle of the 2nd. Then, we lost 8-7 in OT. We spent 0 sec with our full staff on the ice since we scored our 7th goal. We played short handed for 35 consecutive minutes (5 in OT) and at one point in the 3rd, our 5 d-men were in the box at the same time.

How come a team, leading 7-2, take that much penalties? The ref was banned from the league after that game, so you got your answer here.

Refs are humans, and humans make mistakes, but sometimes, like a player who would loose his mind and deserves a 20 games suspension, refs can blow a bolt (word for word translation of a Quebec expression LOL). Ref supervisor did his job there, but we still lost the game.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Naz View Post
        In my first year in the PCJHL we were playing in a pretty dirty rough game, and the officiating was awful. I was backing up during this particular game. 1st period our coach gets kicked out, 2nd period our assistant coach gets kicked out. 3rd period we get a bench minor, so I tell our trainer who is now our "coach" that I'd go serve the minor. I guess the ref didn't notice right away that a freakin goalie was skating across the ice to serve the penalty, but he sure noticed when the penalty ended and I skated onto the ice to join the play
        That's a great story but I can't believe you got suspended for something the ref should have been in charge of.

Comment

I guess there is a reason some of us said that PCJHL stood for Pretty Casual Junior Hockey League....
          And I guess I got suspended because when I joined the play the ref issued me a match penalty
          Last edited by G-Naz; 06-06-2010, 12:17 PM. Reason: Add on Match

Comment

I got hit with a 10 minute misconduct, despite my arguing, I was forced to serve 10 minutes in the box. The leagues head ref was in the stands, needless to say that ref was never allowed to ref at our level again.

Comment

LOL! Everyone here probably has a ref screw job story. Here's mine...

I remember back when I was a forward in Pee Wee, we went to an out of town tournament. We were beating the home team in the game until they gave our goalie(we only had one) a game misconduct for using a Curtis Curve stick. One of our players had to grab his blocker and trapper to play goal, because they wouldn't allow any of us to go and change into his gear. We were up by a bunch(can't remember the score), and ended up losing by 3 or 4. I knew they could give you a minor for it, but I thought that as long as you changed the offending piece of gear, that you could still play.

Comment

Here is mine, this is back in peewee hockey. It was tied 2-2 in our championship game and a player on the other team shot the puck at out net from center ice with 5min to go in the 3rd period. So I thought it was going to be an easy stop but no the puck went in, lucky for me though my coach told the ref not to count the goal, for some reason the ref listened so it remained 2-2. On the bad side we went on to lose the game in overtime 3-2.

Comment

Not saying the ref should have called it, but he was right in making you serve it.

From the NCAA rulebook:

SECTION 4. a. A misconduct penalty involves the removal of a player,
                  including a goalkeeper, from the game for a period of 10 minutes;
                  however, a substitute is permitted to replace that player immediately. A
                  player whose misconduct penalty has expired shall remain in the penalty
                  bench until the next stoppage of play.

Comment

Yea, later I found out that the ref was aloud to do that, but it was just absurd for him to pull a goalie out for a 10min major when I was chirping a player on the other team for diving. And when I had a shutout rolling with a 3-0 lead. I have said and done some pretty serious offensive stuff in my time playing and never have been removed from a game besides once in Juniors.

P.S. I hate NCAA rules, some of them are so damn childish...

Comment

I am amazed at stories like this. Does not any video and other types of reports or details of the game get submitted to a higher authority? Though he was correct for yanking you, it seems like he was not performing his job in a manner that would seem responsible. Are officials reprimanded in any way for a poor job performance?

Comment

Originally posted by wortchillergoal View Post
                        I am amazed at stories like this. Does not any video and other types of reports or details of the game get submitted to a higher authority? Though he was correct for yanking you, it seems like he was not performing his job in a manner that would seem responsible. Are officials reprimanded in any way for a poor job performance?
                        Well what I have been told is that he is not aloud to ref our games anymore because of this situation, but not sure how true this is. All of our games are on the internet/video taped by players not dressing. I really think ref's should be though. College level and up definitely should be penalized because of the money they get paid to do this. It is most of their main jobs so what happens when you suck at your job? You get yelled at or fired. This should be their case. Ahhh if the world was only perfect...

Comment

Got a 10 minute misconduct back in HS for "dropping 3 f-bombs".

****ing refs....
                          Last edited by hroark2112; 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I was at a game at Yost in Ann Arbor when Al Montoya was playing for Michigan and got a 10 min. misconduct. Noah Ruden played in his place, and the whole audience was chanting, "Free Montoya" over and over again.

Dragon

Comment

this is a case where your coach / or whomever is responsible in the school needs to step up and start making a fuss.

quite honestly, this sounds like the worst officiated game i've heard in a while. The ref should be ashamed of himself. Not only that, The ref deserves to be benched from future games in which you play.

if you happen to see the same ref. skate over to the your coach and tell him he should pull your team off the ice till he is ejected

Comment

Working...
                              X