WTF is with Sidney Crosby's hat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is with Sidney Crosby's hat

Is it just me or is it every time Sidney Crosby is in a post game interview or whatever, the hat he is wearing has a whole bunch of white stuff on the front of it? I mean it looks like he just got a bunch of flour dumped on his head just before the interview or something, and each time it seems like it keeps getting even more white. Last interview I just saw it looked like the front of his hat had cake icing all over it or something.

It's salt deposits...when you sweat you lose electrolytes. That's salt and potassium. So when the sweat dries the fluid is gone and the salt remains. So yeah it's a salty hat. It happens to hat's worn when sweating a lot. Same deal with "yellow" sweat stains on shirts. It's the potassium depositing in the fabric.

Comment

lol, he wears one hat from start to end of the season. Last year the hat he wore Im pretty sure was from a kid with cancer who gave him the hat.

Comment

Better than him wearing something else:

It's Clinton Portis btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Burneeed View Post
          lol, he wears one hat from start to end of the season. Last year the hat he wore Im pretty sure was from a kid with cancer who gave him the hat.
          How does anyone not like Sidney Crosby? Jesus, this dude is all class.

Crosby Offers a Lift of the Lid to CunninghamMonday, 04.27.2009 / 9:50 AM / Features By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com staff writer As great a player as he is, Sidney Crosby is equally renowned for his off-ice superstitions as he is for on-ice excellence. Crosby has a set routine he goes through to get ready to play, and doesn't do well when someone takes him off his plan.

Like delaying his arrival at the rink, touching his sticks after he tapes them, or even wearing a new hat.

Exceptions to Crosby's routine are indeed rare, but in mid-February, he made one. It's a small one to be sure, but anyone who's seen a post-practice or post-game interview with the Penguins' captain since then certainly has seen it.

It's a regular Penguins hat, same as anyone can buy in a sporting-goods store or online at shop.NHL.com. The difference, though, is this particular model has "BRYCE" stitched on one side, and "MAKE-A-WISH" on the other. The hat looked to be black at one point, but through constant wear, it's faded and now features blondish-brown sweat stains.

The hat was a present from 10-year-old Bryce Cunningham. Cunningham was supposed to bowl with Crosby at a team-sponsored charity bowling event, "Pens and Pins," to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Greater Pennsylvania and Southern West Virginia.

Penguins players were paired with a child for a day of fun at the lanes, and every player on the roster participated -- except for Crosby, who had to skip the event due to a case of strep throat.

All the kids were disappointed at not being able to meet Crosby, but none more than young Bryce.

When he was 8, Bryce was found to have a Spitz nevus mole on his back, which had the same characteristics as a melanoma. The cancer had spread to the lymph nodes under his arms; the nodes were removed and he needed a year of treatment, but according to his father, Don, Bryce will celebrate two years of being cancer-free in June.

Bryce bowled that day with Marc-Andre Fleury, which was fun, but he really was hoping to throw a few frames with his favorite player, Crosby.

"We've got posters and bobbleheads," Bryce told NHL.com of the Crosby decorations in his room. "We have a gold coin of Sidney Crosby."

Bryce was doubly disappointed because he also had a present for Crosby. It's a fan's right to criticize a player for how he performs on the ice, but that's not what bothered Bryce.

Don Cunningham told NHL.com his son's interests were a bit more esoteric: "We happened to notice on some of the interviews that Sid was doing after the games, and my son said, 'Look at that hat, it's terrible; a guy with all his money, why wouldn't he get a new hat?' I said I don't know."

Don said the decision was made to get Crosby a new hat. When Crosby couldn't attend the event, Don said he approached Dan Potash, a reporter for FSN Pittsburgh, and asked if he would give the hat to Crosby the next night in Toronto.

"Usually I just have a hat a year kind of thing and stick with it," Crosby told NHL.com. "I had been wearing one a lot until two months before the season ended, then he gave me this one and said the other one was a little too dirty, so I switched it up. We started to win some games and it worked out pretty good."

Crosby said he's received a number of gifts from fans, but this one was different.

"I don't usually switch things up, but I really appreciated it," Crosby said. "I've gotten a few hats over the course of a few years, but for whatever reason I just thought it was the least I could do. I felt bad I wasn't able to go. I appreciate it. He made the effort to get a good hat, so I'm wearing it."

The Cunningham family lives in Butler, Pa., about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh, and Don said the whole family roots for the Penguins. His two oldest boys play hockey, while Bryce is more into lacrosse. He said Bryce is as normal as any other 10-year-old boy -- he turns 11 on April 27 -- and nothing stops him from cheering for his beloved Penguins.

Don said Bryce sometimes is too active to watch a whole Pens game on TV, but always checks in on the post-game interviews to see Sid wearing his hat.

"When they do the interviews with Sid after the game he'll pop in and out, but he won't watch the whole game," Don said. "When they're interviewing Sid, I'll yell that Sid's on, and he'll come in. For me, it's the coolest thing. To Bryce, he'll come in and say 'Yup, he's wearing my hat.' I think someday he'll feel the gravity of it. Right now it's just a neat thing."

Knowing he wouldn't be able to attend the bowling event, Crosby had written a note to Bryce and another young girl he was supposed to bowl with. The little girl got to keep the note, but Bryce said that's OK.

"I feel pretty excited about the hat just because a lot of people don't get to see him live and in person," Bryce told NHL.com, "but we always see his hat."

Comment

I don't like Sidney Crosby, the hockey player. But like you say, it's impossible to not like Sidney Crosby, the person off the ice.

he's much like many of the sports figures I absolutely hate.

Charlie Weis - Who was one of the most arrogant, yet inept, coaches I have ever heard of. But, he is a great man off the field. Weis grants little boy's dying wish - College Football - ESPN
            And, despite being embarrassed and fired by Notre Dame, Weis kept his charity, named for his developmentally challenged daughter, in South Bend rather than move it with him. There are many other stories like this as well.

Pete Carroll - I think he is the lowest, cheating, underhanded bastard there was in college football. But like the others, he understands there is more to life than just football. Shelley Smith: Jake Olson Supports Pete Carroll...and USC Of Course - SportsCenter.com Scroll down and watch the video at the bottom.

But, I think most athletes are like this. They seem all about themselves on the field or ice, but they realize they need to give back and often do in big ways off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by PSULion22 View Post
              I don't like Sidney Crosby, the hockey player. But like you say, it's impossible to not like Sidney Crosby, the person off the ice.

How can you say that? The guy is most likely on his 3rd run for the cup finals? Won the Gold does a million things off ice to represent the NHL and the Penguins.... after pens practices he normally is there for a good hour or so signing autographs...

Comment

Really, you want to turn this into a Crosby flame war? I don't like him. I think he's a ***** and cheap, whining, crybaby b***h. Don't get me wrong, his skill is undeniable, but I don't like him as a player. There is absolutely nothing you will say that will change my mind, so don't bother.

Comment

I thought that white stuff on his hat came from Bettman's......nevermind

Comment

Really, you want to turn this into a Crosby flame war? I don't like him. I think he's a ***** and cheap, whining, crybaby b***h. Don't get me wrong, his skill is undeniable, but I don't like him as a player. There is absolutely nothing you will say that will change my mind, so don't bother.
                    Have to remember - he's still a youngin'. Many folks flamed Gretzky for his first few years for the same things - crybaby, diver, etc.

Give him time. He's still learning. Remember, this league rewards guys who get their butt kicked. Sadly it's part of the game.

Eventually he'll become the veteran player who's steady, like a Yzerman.

Personally, I hope he just stays healthy and some dirtbag (Matt Cooke) dosen't steer him to the injury plauged path that too many of our game's great players go.

Guess the Penguins will just have to have all these guys on Sidney's team.

Can you see Mike Richards in a Penguins uniform? ha ha

And I'm a Flyers fan...

Comment

i have a crosby dvd (documentary of the season they lost in the finals against detroit) and one of the things he does is wear the same hat all season. its just one of those superstitions that players have. the equipment manager tried to wash it for him and crosby told him not to lol

Comment

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                        Have to remember - he's still a youngin'. Many folks flamed Gretzky for his first few years for the same things - crybaby, diver, etc.

Give him time. He's still learning. Remember, this league rewards guys who get their butt kicked. Sadly it's part of the game.

Personally, I hope he just stays healthy and some dirtbag (Matt Cooke) dosen't steer him to the injury plauged path that too many of our game's great players go.

And I'm a Flyers fan...
                        And if/when that happens, my opinion of him will change. I don't even mind the whining or embellishing. One of my favorite players of all time is Forsberg and he dove more than Greg Louganis. I don't like the cheap crap like the nut shot, breaking his stick on the post in game 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post

And I'm a Flyers fan...
                          This is exactly what is happening. When all is said and done and his career is over few will say anything bad about him....just like Gretzky.
                          More of this is team loyalty than some want to admit is all.

btw this happens with my hats I wear to cut the lawn or hats I wear to and from hockey. My c/a and pants are also stained with salt deposits.

Comment

Pete Carroll - I think he is the lowest, cheating, underhanded bastard there was in college football. But like the others, he understands there is more to life than just football. Shelley Smith: Jake Olson Supports Pete Carroll...and USC Of Course - SportsCenter.com Scroll down and watch the video at the bottom..
                            Hated Carroll until the memorial 'field goal'. One of the classiest moves in sports I've ever seen.

Comment

I don't like Crosby for the same reason I don't like Gretzky (Yes I am saying this because someone else mentioned some people didn't like Gretzky early). As I see it the game just comes to easily to these guys. It's a turn off. I don't see it as fun to watch someone who just seem built for the game to excell at the game. Maybe it's just an American thing..we do love the underdogs...but yeah...there's just nothing romantic about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X