A Stat That Will Blow Your Mind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Stat That Will Blow Your Mind

Teams that had 4 more shots average per game for, than they had against. Example; Washington last season had 33.5 shots for, on average, and 29.5 average shots against. There were 45 teams in total that were plus 4 or better over the last eleven years. ALL 45 teams had winning records!!! A perfect 45-0!

The average record for the 45 teams was 46 wins and 22 losses. That is dominant.

There were 43 teams that were a negative 4 or worse. Example; The Islanders averaged 28.9 for and had 33.5 against. Only 3 of the 43 had a winning record, and all 3 were barely over .500!

The 43 teams that gave up 4 or more shots, than they had shots for, averaged 27 wins and 41 losses (I guess these goalies were weak)

Switch the goalies and put the dominant teams goalies on the non dominant and what do you think would happen?

Serious question. What do you think happens.

I think you go back to making goofy videos on Youtube.

Comment

I thought creating new usernames once you had been banned was another bannable offense?

Comment

Wow, teams that outshoot their opponents win more. <insert sarcastic slow clap here>

I have another stat that will BLOW YOUR MIND. I did a statistical study and it would seem that teams that score more goals than the other team NEVER LOSE! Like, OH. MY. GOD!

Also, goalies that don't let in a single goal during the course of a whole game (including shootouts) NEVER LOSE. That's CRAZY!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaping5Hole View Post
          Wow, teams that outshoot their opponents win more. <insert sarcastic slow clap here>

I have another stat that will BLOW YOUR MIND. I did a statistical study and it would seem that teams that score more goals than the other team NEVER LOSE! Like, OH. MY. GOD!

Also, goalies that don't let in a single goal during the course of a whole game (including shootouts) NEVER LOSE. That's CRAZY!
          Ha, this was kind of funny.

I will attempt a serious response though. The one thing you might interpret from these stats is that perhaps if teams shot the puck more or just got more pucks to the net, more goals would result, as opposed to holding the puck and setting up a great scoring chance. That might be an interesting point. Like Don Cherry says, in the playoffs just get the puck on net, you never know whats going to happen, which is true.

If you switched goalies, and the more talented goalie went to the weaker team. Well, that an easy one, the more talented goalie makes the weaker team better, to what extent, depends on a lot of factors, but they will win more games.

You see this all the time playing pick up hockey. When the guys play games to 5 and the goalie switch teams after every game. The more talented goalie almost always wins most of the games. Regardless of the teams. The goalie is the biggest factor by far.

Comment

I think it's an excellent point of discussion. +4 shots/game is a huge discrepancy though (as is -4 shots/game). I suppose that's why it doesn't see to happen very often. I'd be curious to see +3, +2 or even +1 to see where exactly the tipping point seems to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Washed up View Post
              Ha, this was kind of funny.

I will attempt a serious response though. The one thing you might interpret from these stats is that perhaps if teams shot the puck more or just got more pucks to the net, more goals would result, as opposed to holding the puck and setting up a great scoring chance. That might be an interesting point. Like Don Cherry says, in the playoffs just get the puck on net, you never know whats going to happen, which is true.

If you switched goalies, and the more talented goalie went to the weaker team. Well, that an easy one, the more talented goalie makes the weaker team better, to what extent, depends on a lot of factors, but they will win more games.

You see this all the time playing pick up hockey. When the guys play games to 5 and the goalie switch teams after every game. The more talented goalie almost always wins most of the games. Regardless of the teams. The goalie is the biggest factor by far.
              Agreed! Goalies can either make or break games. When they make mistakes it's easier for the crowd to notice them...

Comment

Originally posted by reboundcontrol View Post
                Switch the goalies and put the dominant teams goalies on the non dominant and what do you think would happen?
                Less rebound chances and shots against.

Comment

I would really need some type of YouTube video proof of this to truly believe it. Perhaps something showing Luongo flubbing shootout goals?

Comment

Originally posted by Hounsy View Post
                    Less rebound chances and shots against.
                    WINNER!!!!!!

Better goalies control more pucks. Control = goalie in possession of the puck, goalie's team in possession of the puck, or puck out of play.

If the other team cannot control the puck...they obviously cannot shoot and cannot score.

Best possession goalies of the last 10 years....Belfour and Brodeur.

Belfour didn't get to #3 all time by accident.

Comment

time to hit the books for a more "amazing" stat guru

Comment

Originally posted by sloth2946 View Post
                        WINNER!!!!!!

Better goalies control more pucks. Control = goalie in possession of the puck, goalie's team in possession of the puck, or puck out of play.

If the other team cannot control the puck...they obviously cannot shoot and cannot score.

Best possession goalies of the last 10 years....Belfour and Brodeur.

Belfour didn't get to #3 all time by accident.

Is that really a true statement? From last season:

Martin Brodeur: 629 SA, 32 shots within 2 sec (5.1%), 42 shots within 4 sec (6.7%)
                        Scott Clemmensen: 869 SA, 33 shots within 2 sec (3.8%), 44 shots within 4 sec (5.1%)

as opposed to a team that gets outshot by the largest margin:

Lehtonen: 1068 SA, 40 shots within 2 sec (3.7%), 66 shots within 4 sec (6.1%)
                        Hedberg: 621 SA, 22 shots within 2 sec (3.5%), 38 shots within 4 sec (6.1%)

Comment

Originally posted by Washed up View Post
                          No, not the case. I've played in many leagues where the goalie can be the worst player on the team and the team itself still wins by being a better team in the division. You've never played against a team that drops down to win games?

Heck, I've been that bad goalie on a good team and has awesome stats. And I can admit it. And yes, it's true that when I switched I got lit up.

Some good teams playing in a lower division can either control the puck so much as to limit the shots and chances by the other team (therefore lowering the shots against and goals against for their goalie) or can play such a good defensive game to take those other chances away or take away rebound chances or stop players from going to the net. And the same can go for pick-up when one side stacks. And you can't say it happens because it does. All the time. We've all been on the stacked team and all been on the non-stacked team.

Using pick-up as a comparison to what happens in the NHL is pretty weak basis for an argument.

Try grasping at these for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddzilla51 View Post
                            No, not the case. I've played in many leagues where the goalie can be the worst player on the team and the team itself still wins by being a better team in the division. You've never played against a team that drops down to win games?

Heck, I've been that bad goalie on a good team and has awesome stats. And I can admit it. And yes, it's true that when I switched I got lit up.

Some good teams playing in a lower division can either control the puck so much as to limit the shots and chances by the other team (therefore lowering the shots against and goals against for their goalie) or can play such a good defensive game to take those other chances away or take away rebound chances or stop players from going to the net. And the same can go for pick-up when one side stacks. And you can't say it happens because it does. All the time. We've all been on the stacked team and all been on the non-stacked team.

Using pick-up as a comparison to what happens in the NHL is pretty weak basis for an argument.

Try grasping at these for a while.

You know what, your right. Not sure why I did not look at it that way.

Guess I was using pick up as comparison because the range of talent can be extreme, but thats not the case in the Pros, that is a bad comparison. Sorry.

Yes, with the guys I play pick up with, if they stacked the team up against me hard, doesn't matter if they have a bantam goalie in their net, I will probably lose every game, regardless.

Another point on the rebound control. Rebounds are much more dangerous than the original shot too, making the rebound control even more important.

Comment

Originally posted by steelhmr View Post
                              Is that really a true statement? From last season:

Martin Brodeur: 629 SA, 32 shots within 2 sec (5.1%), 42 shots within 4 sec (6.7%)
                              Scott Clemmensen: 869 SA, 33 shots within 2 sec (3.8%), 44 shots within 4 sec (5.1%)

as opposed to a team that gets outshot by the largest margin:

Lehtonen: 1068 SA, 40 shots within 2 sec (3.7%), 66 shots within 4 sec (6.1%)
                              Hedberg: 621 SA, 22 shots within 2 sec (3.5%), 38 shots within 4 sec (6.1%)
                              Where is this statistic coming from? Is it a reliable source? I doubt whoever compiled it did not go through every second of every game of the Devils' season last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X