Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smelling salts and hockey. Good or bad ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelling salts and hockey. Good or bad ?

Ok, so I was just watching the Isles pre game and the camera focuses on their number 2 pick, forgot his name. He is sitting on bench with a thing of smelling salts. He looks like he doesn't even know what to do with it.

I see this a lot, especially when watching the Isles games, for whatever reason.
    I know it is not supposed to be dangerous but I don't like it.

Why the hell does a pro need to get a jump start like that to get himself started before and during a game ?

I think I dislike it more because of who is watching these players using this, youth players.

Hear some thoughts.

what negative effects do smelling salts have on people? ive never heard of any.

Comment

Physiological action
      Smelling salts release ammonia (NH3) gas, which irritates the mucous membranes of the nose and lungs,[2] and thereby triggers an inhalation reflex[9] (that is, it causes the muscles that control breathing to work faster[9]).

Risks
      Ammonia gas is toxic in large concentrations for prolonged periods,[1] and can be fatal,[12] however smelling salts produce only a small amount[2] and there have been no reports of any adverse health problems from their use.[1]

There is a limited possibilty of direct burning of the nasal or oral mucosa from high concentration of inhaled ammonia.[1]

The use of ammonia smelling salts to revive people injured during sport is not recommended as it may inhibit or delay a proper and thorough neurological assessment by a healthcare professional,[1] and some governing bodies recommend specifically against it.[8] There is also a risk that as an irritant, use of smelling salts could cause reflex withdrawal from the source, thereby exacerbating any pre-existing cervical spine injury.[1]
      Smelling Salts- Ammonia Inhalants

Comment

Reminds me of when they gave it to Denis Savard back in the 90's. His reaction on the bench was hilarious. Still laugh today when I see it.

Comment

does anyone use smelling salts before they play?

I know a lot of NHL players use them to become more alert and ready to play before games I was wondering if there is anything wrong with this? Is it safe to use, I was thinking about buying some. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

I just drink LOTS of coffee
            Always have since I was about 14. Heck, who knows I might been 7 feet tall if I didn't drink so much of it

Comment

Here ya go:

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equ...-inhalant.html

My Teams loves them! I am not sold on them yet but if you have a cold they sure do clear the nasal passages
              they are ok.

Cheers
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                Here ya go:

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equ...-inhalant.html

My Teams loves them! I am not sold on them yet but if you have a cold they sure do clear the nasal passages
                they are ok.

Cheers
                Jim
                oh no, I forgot to do I search on this before hand. Sorry mods

Comment

The smelling salts are ammonia/alcohol and water.
                  they supposably do not pose any long term risk..
                  they do clear your sinuses and the claim is that they allow the athelete hockey, football, etc.. to breath 30% better because the ammonia shrinks the nasal passages.

so that is why just before the puck drops you see the chicago bench going nuts with them.

I havent noticed phillys bench but i am sure they use them as well.. my 2 teams started using them after the Olympics when a guy on the team went to a Sabres game and noticed the obessive use by the Buffalo Sabres.. so much so they tossed a new one in the crowd and my teammate caught it.

Cheers
                  Jim

Comment

I have seen Asham use them quite a bit in these finals, but I've also seen players use them for quite some time before this. I remember back when the old Philly Spectrum was still the flyers barn, I had seats right next to the zam door, which doubled as the away teams' player entrance and once all the players entered the ice, that area of the floor was littered with used smelling salts... At least one per player.

I have also used these in the past, mainly my last 2 years of HS and my 2 years of junior, although I wasn't allowed to use them in college per team rules. To be honest tho, I never really saw too much of an advantage in using them. Just my experience.

Comment

I'm almost positive they're banned in the NFL.

I remember hearing about a time that would just huddle around and use the smelling salts prior to going out on the field. The use of smelling salts got so excessive that, I believe, the team decided to ban them.

I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I remember hearing something like that.

EDIT-
                      Upon Googling it, it's not banned in the NFL.
                      Last edited by Jon45189; 06-09-2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I have to somehow convince my dad they are Ok to use for this use. I'd love to try them just to see if they help.

Comment

FYI, if the company you work for has and Cintas or some kind of medical supplies chest, it may contain some smelling salts...mine did, so I borrowed one for rat hockey tonight

Comment

I'm cranked up on them right now at work.

Comment

So, I didn't try mine last night. Figured I'd maybe save it for my game on Sunday. How long do they last after you crack them open? I figured I'd take a whiff and pass it around my teams bench.

Comment

Working...
                              X