Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swimming in pools not allowed for tournament players?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swimming in pools not allowed for tournament players?

At tonight's practice, a coach mentioned that tournament players are not allowed to swim or go in the hot tub in the hotels because the chlorine tires them out so they don't play as well. This makes no sense to me, unless they are overdoing it.

I understand the part with the hot tubs since kids under a certain age are too young to be in it. As for the pools, I swim in my backyard every night during the summer months after hockey camps. I never swim before an ice hockey game because I don't want to be wet going on the ice. I do like to swim before an outdoor roller hockey game to start off cooler since it gets very hot wearing the gear under the sun.

It's nothing to do with chlorine and everything to do with staying up too late and goofing around. If you've got an early game in the morning, you need to get to bed at a reasonable time.

But when kids are involved, as long as they're going to bed at a reasonable hour, I'd tell a coach to suck eggs if he said my kid couldn't play in the pool. Kids have enough energy to play 50 hockey games... part of the fun of going to a tourney is goofing off in the hotel pool with your teammates.

IMO, if the coach forgets that this is supposed to be FUN for the KIDS, he needs to have someone remind him of the point of youth sports....

(by the way, moving this to Hockey Talk instead of Hot Stove)

Comment

Originally posted by goalies-r-us View Post
      IMO, if the coach forgets that this is supposed to be FUN for the KIDS, he needs to have someone remind him of the point of youth sports....

(by the way, moving this to Hockey Talk instead of Hot Stove)
      Right on ! Far too often in youth sports people forget that part

Comment

I have had a coach tell me this before too. I can see both sides. If you're playing AAA hockey and just dropped several hundred dollars to go to a tournament you're going there to win.. well, maybe a team outing to a pool to swim could be scheduled for another day. However, if you're 9 years old playing Atom houseleague.. then have at 'er. Those were some of my best memories... pissing off hotel staff and all the non-hockey guests... riding in the elevator for an hour

Comment

A coach is there to have everyone on the same page. Telling him to go suck an egg, Is not the answer. An older person should know better^^^^
          Unless the coach is totally an ahole, the team should listen and do what he says.
          If you don't agree with his coaching methods, take your kid off the team.
          Don't cause a mutiny between the players.

Comment

Can you play in the bath tub instead?
            Last edited by newtabix; 06-11-2009, 02:18 AM. Reason: stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by newtabix View Post
              Can you play in the bath tub instead?
              Only before curfew, and only alone

Comment

Swimming really does tire you out. It's one of those things that exercises every part of your body. Haven't you ever notice how sleepy you are after swimming for awhile? My coach (last year anyway) let us swim, but I chose not to because it really does negatively affect my game

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker908 View Post
                  Right on ! Far too often in youth sports people forget that part
                  Exactly...

Originally posted by Cujie31 View Post
                  I have had a coach tell me this before too. I can see both sides. If you're playing AAA hockey and just dropped several hundred dollars to go to a tournament you're going there to win.. well, maybe a team outing to a pool to swim could be scheduled for another day. However, if you're 9 years old playing Atom houseleague.. then have at 'er. Those were some of my best memories... pissing off hotel staff and all the non-hockey guests... riding in the elevator for an hour
                  Even if playing AAA, though, one needs to remember that we're talking about children here -- not even high school age. If we turn hockey into "work" instead of "play", what are the odds of burning them out at a young age?

Originally posted by Rolue View Post
                  A coach is there to have everyone on the same page. Telling him to go suck an egg, Is not the answer. An older person should know better^^^^
                  Unless the coach is totally an ahole, the team should listen and do what he says.
                  If you don't agree with his coaching methods, take your kid off the team.
                  Don't cause a mutiny between the players.
                  Actually, an older person knows what is right for their child. Just because a coach is in charge of the team, that does not make him in charge of my child's entire life. I am his parent, and I make the decisions that affect his well-being.

If the coach told the kids to take steroids to improve their performance, should I go along with it, or should I point out to him that it's not in the best interest of the children????

Originally posted by goalie75 View Post
                  Swimming really does tire you out. It's one of those things that exercises every part of your body. Haven't you ever notice how sleepy you are after swimming for awhile? My coach (last year anyway) let us swim, but I chose not to because it really does negatively affect my game
                  If you'll notice my original post, you'll see that I talked about getting adequate sleep. A healthy child should be able to swim in the evening, get a full night's sleep, and be ready to give 100% in the morning. Any child that can't do that needs to be evaluated by a physician.

The thing that I've noticed in the past at tournaments, though, is that too many parents seem to forget the "full night's sleep" part of the equation. My kid comes back to the hotel after his afternoon game, eats dinner, and plays in the pool with his friends. Then he takes a shower, puts his jammies on, and is in bed between 8-9pm (depending on how early his first game is the next morning). I couldn't believe how many of the other kids were still up, playing shinny in the hallways, at 10 or 11pm when there was a game at 7:00 the next morning!

Comment

Swimming before going to sleep will help you for the next day. It will relax all your muscles and put you in good conditions to have a very deep sleep.

The deeper is your sleep, the more it regenerates you. So, with a very deep sleep, 6 hours of sleep will have the same effect as a 8 to 10 hours of "regular" sleep, plus, you'll be fully awaken right away when you'll wake up.

So, I would encourage kids to play in the pool before going to bed, but never RIGHT BEFORE a game. Same and especially with the hot tub. Rehydrate you well though after swimming and hot tubing. You'd be surprise how much those dehydrate you without even feeling it.

That's the arm to swimming though, dehydration. You don't feel it at all, but you do sweat a lot in a pool and that's what may get the kids tired. But if you're aware of it and get rehydrated right after getting out of the pool, I only see benefits to it.

Comment

Since junior was a mite, Coaches have always said no pool before an early morning game. To this day, he wont go in.

Comment

At all of the youth tournaments my kids went to we saw the same thing happen. The teams and kids that were staying in the hotels would basically swim and play in the hot tubs and then play hockey like they were half awake. Many coaches will tell you that the pool and tub can be a great factor in bringing down a team. Many coaches will try to keep the players out of the pool and tub. The effect is even more powerful when the kids aren't used to swimming and the hot tub. Most hot tubs don't even allow kids under 12 for health reasons, although that won't stop the kids and the hotel staff usually don't have enough staff to chase 60 or more rampaging kids. Having said all that, most of the youth hockey tournaments we went to had the parents competing to see who could drink the most, stay up the latest, and still be alive and on time for the morning game. I recall having several extra players in our room because their parents were partying so hard that the police kept getting called. That was how the local hockey programs rolled. This changed when my kids played in elite programs. If the players fooled around or didn't play up to par the coached benched them.

Comment

The hot tub dehydrates you so I would stay away from that anyways. Who knows about the pool...

Comment

The kids I coach dont go in the pool before a game or after a late game..

and my teams often go to the finals.. I'll keep doing the same

Comment

Yep...parents claim that sports should be fun til their kids team starts losing. Then they are calling for the coaches head on a stick.
                              If it's young kids then let them have fun, but just realize that they have fun winning too.

Comment

Working...
                              X