Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me with my hockey equipment storage dilema!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my hockey equipment storage dilema!

I live in a condo in South Florida. It is a 2 bedroom but ever since I have been living here it has just been me so I don't use the other bedroom for anything, it is basically empty. I have been storing my equipment in the empty closet of the empty bedroom. Sure it stinks in the closet but I don't put anything else in there and no one ever goes in it.

So here is the problem, I am getting married in June and my soon to be wife wants to use that bedroom as like a computer/office room (which I don't mind) and she also wants to use the closet space for stuff. Now if it was just about the space the hockey stuff took up I don't think it would be a big deal because it only takes up about maybe 20% of the closet, but the stench is the problem. So she doesn't want me keeping my hockey stuff in the condo because anywhere I put it there will be that smell and she is planning on using all the current empty space. There are two options I can think of and I'm not thrilled with either. I live on the first floor and I have a small gated deck area. So my fiance suggested getting a shed or shed like unit to put my stuff in outside. I have a few concernes with this, the weather can be very harsh in Florida (hot and humid) and I'm affraid that will adversly effect the pads. Also even though I know they sell rain proof sheds I would still be paranoid that somehow rain would get in. I also tend to have a lot of critters outside (lizards, bugs, etc.) and I wouldn't really want them making a home in my pads. The only other option I could come up with is to keep my stuff at my parents house (which is pretty close to me). I would just find it annoying though to take that extra step of having to go to my parents house whenever I need my pads. If these are my only two choices I will go with storing them at my parents house but I was hoping someone on here might have an idea or maybe went through something similar. And yes I know about the "get rid of the fiance and keep the pads option" but I'm not doing that!

Marry a girl who plays hockey and you can store your gear wherever you want.

Girls that don't play hockey are silly.

Comment

Originally posted by WillyGrips13 View Post
      Marry a girl who plays hockey and you can store your gear wherever you want.

Girls that don't play hockey are silly.

yeah, but girls that dont play hockey you can actually distinguish as being a girl.

Comment

Your condo, your space. Sure she's moving in but she's gotta make a compromise too. Fabreeze your stuff to kill the smell or find something stronger and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by LundqvistRoy View Post
          yeah, but girls that dont play hockey you can actually distinguish as being a girl.
          dude has a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey3081 View Post
            Your condo, your space. Sure she's moving in but she's gotta make a compromise too. Fabreeze your stuff to kill the smell or find something stronger and go from there.
            I didn't mean to paint her as taking over the closet just for her own evil purposes. We actually need the closet space once she moves in because I already have our other closet filled with my stuff, so it's basically a necessity that we put stuff in there, and I agree that putting stuff in with smelly hockey equipment is gross (the whole febreeze/destinkafying doesn't work, I've tried that before)

I had a thought a little while ago. I know they have those plastic storage containers that people stick under their beds and stuff, I wonder how big they make those things, like if I could find one big enough for my hockey equipment. That way I could keep the stuff indoors but lock in the stench in the containers!

Comment

Originally posted by L7spider View Post
              I didn't mean to paint her as taking over the closet just for her own evil purposes. We actually need the closet space once she moves in because I already have our other closet filled with my stuff, so it's basically a necessity that we put stuff in there, and I agree that putting stuff in with smelly hockey equipment is gross (the whole febreeze/destinkafying doesn't work, I've tried that before)

I had a thought a little while ago. I know they have those plastic storage containers that people stick under their beds and stuff, I wonder how big they make those things, like if I could find one big enough for my hockey equipment. That way I could keep the stuff indoors but lock in the stench in the containers!
              The biggest one I've seen MIGHT hold a set of pads and gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by L7spider View Post
                keeping your gear under your bed seems like a step in the wrong direction if you are trying to make your home more female friendly. Maybe its just me though.......

Comment

I didn't mean to keep it under the bed, I was just trying to explain the kind of plastic storage bin I was talking about. So basically I'm looking for a big plastic storage bin with a lid that will not let the stench out. (not to put under my bed!)

Comment

I thought maybe you were marking your territory for a sec there bud

Comment

Originally posted by LundqvistRoy View Post
                      Come on now, Cassie Campbell, Cammi Granato and Manon Rheaume were all pretty hot in their day.

You just gotta know where to look.

Comment

How about buying a small fan and one of those shoe/glove dryer things? Oh yes And Febreeze. Find a place on the floor, get it dry ASAP then put it back into your storage bin or bag. She'll just have to compromise with the equipment being out for an hour or two. Or cut holes in ur plastic bin to fit the hoses for the shoe/glove dryer. This way u can dry your stuff and still have in the bin.

Comment

I had this problem a year ago! My wife was pregnant and we were in a small one bedroom condo (with no deck) at the time. We bought a huge cabinet from IKEA and stashed it in the living room. The cabinet held all my goalie gear and most of my player gear. It worked pretty well for the time being until our son started to walk and open everything. The key for me with controlling odor is to air everything out to dry. I guess it also depends on the person, as my stuff doesn't stink too badly. On the other hand, my brother's hockey equipment reeks. We have since moved to a house and now all my hockey junk is in the garage.

Comment

There actually is an IKEA around here. I'll have to check that out, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie View Post
                              I had this problem a year ago! My wife was pregnant and we were in a small one bedroom condo (with no deck) at the time. We bought a huge cabinet from IKEA and stashed it in the living room. The cabinet held all my goalie gear and most of my player gear. It worked pretty well for the time being until our son started to walk and open everything. The key for me with controlling odor is to air everything out to dry. I guess it also depends on the person, as my stuff doesn't stink too badly. On the other hand, my brother's hockey equipment reeks. We have since moved to a house and now all my hockey junk is in the garage.
                              I really have to agree with this statement. Leaving your gear stuffed up in a plastic container will only make the smell worse. It's important that you lay it out/hang it up and give it a chance to dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X