A Pet Peeve - Doors at Arenas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pet Peeve - Doors at Arenas

Okay, this has been bothering me for a while now, and I'm coming to the one place where I think people can relate (or at the very least, make fun of me for it so I can get over it). Maybe it's just the fact that hockey is sport #4 here in Wisconsin, or maybe it's simply that the people that design our local arenas don't take the obvious things into account, but here's my issue:

The entry doors at our areas are TOO SMALL.

Being a goalie, I've got to lug my bag, which is stuffed with all my equipment, my pads, and my sticks through this doors. I think, in all honesty, they're 30" doors. I don't even think they're a reasonable 36" that would be useful. As it is right now, I have to throw myself sideways through the door, and I almost invariably get caught on something on the way through. Both in and out. All three of our local rinks are like that.

Is there someplace out there where someone with half a brain designed an arena, and there are nice double-wide automatic sliding doors at the entryways? If so, please let me know. I'm going to start looking for jobs in the area and will move there.

Does anyone else have this issue? Do they not factor into the equation that hockey requires large bags with protective equipment, and they're not that easy to shimmy sideways with??

I'm done with my rant now, anyone else can feel free to pitch in. We need to start some sort of revolution or something.

100% with you on this one man. You have a firm supporter in the same cause. Opening the door towards me is the tough one because Ive got the door closing on my stuff. But going out and pushing a door open isnt too bad if I go quick.

Comment

Everywhere I've ever played has double doors that make life easy. 8 rinks has automatic sliding doors at the main entrace -- that was cool. Never had an issue with too small a door except in one dressing room.

Comment

It's official: I'm moving to Vancouver! I heard it's pretty nice out that way anyway...and I'm a huge X-Files fan.

What's the weather like? It got to -45 here last night with the wind chill.

Comment

Every rink around here has double doors but there's also a divider between all of them.

Comment

Incredible Ice (where the panthers practice) in south Florida has automatic sliding double doors. Wouldn't you rather move to sunny Florida than cold Vancouver?

Comment

In all honesty, I've had friends that lived in Florida and hated it. Then again, at -45, I'll move just about anywhere right about now where my nosehairs don't freeze when I breathe in!

Comment

At our local rink you have to open three sets of doors toward you before you even see a dressing room. I hate it with a passion.

Comment

Doors aren't wide enough can be blamed on architects. People who never desgin anything practical unless it is for their own personal use.

Comment

You know what else I hate besides narrow or only single door at arenas? Breaking a nail, it's terribly painful and a fashion faux pas.

My god, it's wonder you people survive.

Comment

LOL, DH. I know it seems like a trivial annoyance, but man, honestly, I can only get stuck on the friggin door handle so many times before I want to pull the door's jersey over its window and start pummelling it hockey-style.

Maybe I should just start wearing all my gear to the arena...I wonder how easy it would be to drive my car in complete gear with some skate guards on...
                      Last edited by RCS; 02-10-2008, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I HATE when your dressed and you have your 2 sticks in your hand and you have to use those stupid door handles.

and theres a rink here in hamilton, Ont. the dressing rooms are down stairs so you get dressed and have to walk up about 20 steps to get to the ice. let me tell you after 3 hrs of shinny walking down those stairs is a death wish. and there not very long i would say about 8"

Comment

Hart, at least if you fall you know you're protected!

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
                            Is there someplace out there where someone with half a brain designed an arena, and there are nice double-wide automatic sliding doors at the entryways? If so, please let me know. I'm going to start looking for jobs in the area and will move there.
                            Super Rink in Blaine, huge sliding doors, but you still have to go thru a regular door to get to your specific rink...

Comment

Well, we have sliding doors here in williams lake, but you still have to go through 2 sets of door that you have to push...

Comment

Working...
                              X