Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 y/o girl busted for DUI

Girl, 11, charged with DUI after high-speed chase - CNN.com

Wow. Just wow. WTF?! The parents/legal guardians definitely need to share in the criminal liability. Criminal negligence and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, to start with, and jail time should be non-negotiable.

*Mods, feel free to delete if this is a double post, but I didn't see anything about this in the last couple of days worth of threads.

Duck declined to release the girl's blood alcohol level but said a blood test at the hospital showed it was higher than .02, the legal limit for minors.
    Umm...isn't the legal limit for minors 0.0?

Comment

Simply f'ing amazing!
      </Ben shaking his head in pure disgust>

Comment

Originally posted by admanimal View Post
        0.02 is the legal limit for anyone under the age of 21. Apparently, some foods and drinks contain very little alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by JediGoalie30 View Post
          Girl, 11, charged with DUI after high-speed chase - CNN.com

Wow. Just wow. WTF?! The parents/legal guardians definitely need to share in the criminal liability. Criminal negligence and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, to start with, and jail time should be non-negotiable.

*Mods, feel free to delete if this is a double post, but I didn't see anything about this in the last couple of days worth of threads.

Before you go bashing the parents/legal guardians, we need to find out all the facts. It doesn't say where she was, who she was with, or what she was doing other than drinking. I agree, if the parents new she was drinking/gave her alcohol, they deserve jail time. The car was not her parents, so they could not be charged for that, period. If the relatives gave her keys to the car, then they could be charged. However, seeing that she is 11, I have a hunch that she was not given the keys, and that she happened to help herself to the keys. I'm betting that she was at a party, and decided to go for a joyride.

Comment

Fisherman's Friend, among other normal things, can make you fail a Breathalyser.
            and sucking on charcoal right before taking it will pass you if you're over the limit... nothing illegal about charcoal

11 years old and driving is whats really bothering me here

Comment

The kid was having fun. That's what counts. We can always work on skills later, but the enthusiasm is what you can't teach.

Comment

Ya think her car insurance will be high when she is old enough to drive ?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinsane View Post
                  The kid was having fun. That's what counts. We can always work on skills later, but the enthusiasm is what you can't teach.
                  Why would you even post rubbish like this?

She's 11 years old and she's stuck in Alabama. If she hasn't figured out how to get drunk & drive to Florida by now, I seriously doubt that she will ever get the hang of it.

Comment

Dui

Originally posted by admanimal View Post
                    .02 is the standard because as someone said there is alcohol in things like cough syrup, mouth wash , etc. If you blow an .02 then you've had ethyl alcohol. Even a sip of alcohol will cause you to blow an .02.
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by themax101 View Post
                      Fisherman's Friend, among other normal things, can make you fail a Breathalyser.
                      and sucking on charcoal right before taking it will pass you if you're over the limit... nothing illegal about charcoal

You've obviously never seen the Mythbusters where they proved that nothing will give you a negative test on a breathalyser.

Comment

I don't think so

Originally posted by themax101 View Post

I don't believe that is correct. You will register on a breathalyzer, but I don't believe you would blow an .02 from sucking on a Fishermen's Friend cough drop. I believe the .02 was established to avoid that type of mistake and to differentiate between cough drops/syrup /mouthwash etc and ethyl alcohol.
                        Paul

Comment

PS: Little tidbit of information....

If you get a DWI and you blow in the breathalyser, and are close to the limit, plead innocent and then during the trial subpeona the source code of the breathalyser instrument to confirm the tolerances that exist in the machine. The MFG will refuse as it is a trade secret, thus rendering the result inadmissable in court. It is happening a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by sloth2946 View Post
                            PS: Little tidbit of information....

If you get a DWI and you blow in the breathalyser, and are close to the limit, plead innocent and then during the trial subpeona the source code of the breathalyser instrument to confirm the tolerances that exist in the machine. The MFG will refuse as it is a trade secret, thus rendering the result inadmissable in court. It is happening a lot.
                            They tried that crap down here. Almost resulted in a bunch of cases lost. It was finally decided that the inner workings of the machine was not important. The results were admissable as long as it was tested/operated properly.

Just like in a speeding ticket. How the radar or laser works is not admissable only that it was operated and tested properly.
                            Last edited by grimjake1; 07-07-2007, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grimjake1 View Post
                              They tried that crap down here. Almost resulted in a bunch of cases lost. It was finally decided that the inner workings of the machine was not important. The results were admissable as long as it was tested/operated properly.

Just like in a speeding ticket. How the radar or laser works is not admissable only that it was operated and tested properly.
                              Then that needs to be challenged in court because in software, nothing is totally 100% accurate and you need to know the tolerance for error that is built into the software that handles the test and whether it is possible you could have fallen within that tolerance.

It is my guess that the courts that ruled against it because DUI cases are a cash cow for the municipalities.

So let's say your doctor thinks that you may have a rare form of cancer and has a test that can be done through an apparatus. What he doesn't tell you is that the test is only effective at diagnosing this rare cancer with a 40% false positive ratio...would you feel comfortable taking that test?

We don't know what the false positive ratio is for the breathalyser because they wont release the software to be independently reviewed and scrutinized. That is blind trust and when your life/livelihood can be seriously compromised because of a bad test....well I'd be fighting that tooth and nail thank you very much and everyone should be.

Get some independent review of the products and code that arrives at the result and then I can say it is viable test platform where as we have been going on blind faith with it, much like the radar gun when we do not know whether it is dead on balls accurate.

Take the radar gun for instance...when baseball scouts are scouting a pitcher they usually bring 3 guns and come up with the average to get the pitcher's speed...why is that....because 3 guns from the same MFG can and will yield 3 different results. I know I've passed those radar stations where my speedometer says 40MPH and the display reads 36 or so...that is a big deal.
                              Last edited by sloth2946; 07-07-2007, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X