114mph Slapper.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 114mph Slapper.

I hope that title gets everyones attention. Call it a personal pet peeve of mine but I get pretty anoyed when everyone starts throwing out numbers about how hard the shots they face are.

First off RADAR GUNS LIE. My team has tested out there shots on 3 or 4 different radar guns and although the numbers vary up to 10 mph or more the only thing that stays the same is that the harder shooters put up higher numbers than the slower shooters.

Second just because the radar guns says the guy shot 90 does not mean that the shot he gets off in a game is 90 it is very rare to have the circumstances fall in to place where a player gets to take there absolute hardest shot.

The BONI

Yes I have used the BONI puck shooting machine allot and let me tell you there is a ton of variables that go in to how hard it shoots. And who is to know how accurate the speed setting is to begin with. First it needs a good power source this can make a big big difference. It needs fresh pucks and new wheels and to be properly maintained to shoot its hardest. My ooomh in my belly comparison when all is well with the BONI tells me that it shoots about as hard as some of the harder shooters I play against who are lucky to clock in the low 90's on radar guns.

Bad players can shoot hard.

Granted a good player is going to be able to shoot harder more often than a bad player but when the stars align just right even younger players or bad players can let the odd real hard shot go but it is rare.

Perceived speed

Some players don't shoot all that hard but they have a very quick release this translates to the puck geting to you allot sooner but is not the same as shooting hard. In reality its more effective than a hard shot.

Also the difference between 85 mph and 90 mph is very small if you got scored on by the 90 guess what it would have probably still scored if it was 85. What you do before the release and the read you pick up on the puck during the release are the determining factors of the saves succsess.

If you don't beleive me try using a screen board sometime and you will be humbled by how slow the shots that score on you are going.

My final beef

We all like to think that we are so brave and so tuff because we face these rocket shots and the higher the number we throw out there the beter it sounds. Even the people on this board who play at really high levels would be able to count on one hand the number of shots they face in a year that are over 100 if any.

I play with ex NHL'rs pros, college, university and junior players and I doubt that I face many shots that would clock over 90 in game situations. maybee one every game or every other game.
    Last edited by Damion; 01-09-2007, 05:03 PM.

Wait till you start hearing about how Joey Dickweed faced 185 shots in one game and got a shutout. Your brain will explode.

Comment

Are you back in GP or somewhere else right now?

In beer league everyone has a 90+ mph slapper, one guy here claims to have a 90mph wrist shot. (guessing shot speeds is dumb, hearing ankle benders claiming to have a better shot than nhlers is hilariously funny.)
      Last edited by Doc Holliday; 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Comment

I play with one guy who might have a 90 mph slapshot. I only say this because, when other teams see him for the first time, they stand around and stare at each other after he unloads one from the blue line (I'm serious; it's routine).

Other than that, I'm pretty sure that I don't face anybody who even remotely shoots like highschoolers from Iowa.

Comment

You would be surprised how fast or slow people really shoot. I have a personnal radar gun and multiple others at my disposal. All get calibrated by precision Lab's on a regular basis and read withing 1mph of each other.

Comment

Well, I have laser beams fired at me ....at least 500 mile an hour

"You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"

Comment

I have them too!!

Comment

That was well said, I have no idea how hard these guys are shooting when I face them. I, as a goalie, will know a hard shot when we face it, and I just leave it at that.

Also, I was wondering if someone can explain "heavy shots". Sometimes, a so-called "heavy shot" can come in pretty slow (or so it seems), but it hits you like a ton and you feel it! On the other hand, a shot can come in with alot of velocity, and it feels like a feather. Has anyone else noticed this at times?

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. i think it has to do with proper technique. I say that because i have a guy here that has played very high level hockey. Unsure what level but pro of some sort. His shot registers at 86mph and will knock the wind out of you everytime. Another guy is just a beer leaguer and shoots 88 and i can catch his shot with my bare hand and it wouldnt hurt. Now he sat around and taught some of the guy technique and a lot of them are developing the so called "heavy shots".

Comment

a kid from my goalie school shoots (by radar gun) 95 mph. And when were doing a semi circle drill on the blue line he has time to unload that cannon and i've had some stingers for sure, he happens to be the one who broke my rib.

Comment

Originally posted by GoalieMike99
                        Also, I was wondering if someone can explain "heavy shots". Sometimes, a so-called "heavy shot" can come in pretty slow (or so it seems), but it hits you like a ton and you feel it! On the other hand, a shot can come in with alot of velocity, and it feels like a feather. Has anyone else noticed this at times?
                        no explanation but I definitely second that

Comment

Originally posted by GoalieMike99
                          I had that very same question years ago.

Comment

FYI, for legal purposes, police speed guns have a tolerance of 10%+2 miles an hour

therefore, a police camera reading of 80 mph could be anywhere between 70 and 90 mph

Now thats pretty inaccurate, but gives you some indication of the calibration problems.

Comment

I think, and am probably wrong, it has to do a lot with physics. (Duh!) I don't even know how to word it, but a guy who can shoot with distance, seems to have a heavier shot, buts eems to travel at a constant speed. A fast shot when it gets to you is about at the end of it's trajectory, and decreasing speed, where the other is opposite.

I imagine it has to to with "club head speed", as an analogy. You watch golfers that can hit a long ball, and it seems to rise, right after it looks as though it's intrinsic energy has stopped.

I guess with a puck, it would be the same, to an extent. I'd need a scientisticist to put into the correct words what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X