X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Hockey International

Were any of you guys fans of the RHI back in the 90's? I used to love going to check out Road Runner games at the Montreal Forum back in the day... the sport was fast, fresh, ...and most importantly FUN!

It was great to have the RHI over the summer months to tide me over until the Montreal Canadiens hit the ice again. It's truly unfortunate that the league shut down, I'd still be going to check out the games if the league was still around. It would sure help beat the baseball blues over the summer months (how many times can you watch a home run get hit or a fly ball caught? YAWN!).

Two highlights from the RHI for me were: During a regular season game where one of the opposing team's players got kicked out of the game and he started to skate off the court where he was getting heckled from the stands. Instead of taking it with a grain of salt and ignoring it he started swinging his stick at the guy in the crowd... it quickly escalated with two or three more of his team mates joining in and fans rushing that corner of the rink. I'm not normally a fan of violence, but watching that fist hand was an experience. The second highlight was watching the Road Runners in the final game trying for the Murphy Cup. The Forum was pretty packed for the game, about 13,000 fans which was double the normal crowd for one of their games. The atmosphere was great with LOADS of action, a truly amazing game. Unfortunately the road runners lost, but it was still a blast. Another cool thing about that is that is was the one and only hockey game that my dad ever took me to...

Anyway, any of you guys remember the RHI and miss it? I'd love to see roller hockey make a comeback! Let's here some stories!

Yeah, I remember the Vancouver Voodoo when they were still around. I enjoyed attending the games before the novelty wore off. In fact, I did my high school co-op internship with them. Worked in the same office as Tiger Williams. I didn't get to interact with him at all but everytime I walked pass his office, he'd be on the phone. And every other word out of his mouth would be some sort of vulgarity

I got a couple of the roller pucks out of it. My first or second day on the job and I was assigned to help out the equipment trainer/manager move some of the gear. He saw me checking out some of the sticks that we were moving and let me take one home. My first graphite/composite stick. I still have it too

Comment

Yeah the first place i ever started playing inline at was the old sac river rats tiles. I remember the san jose rhinos too, and i got to play in Nick Vituccis pads from the buffalo wings.

Comment

I went to a number of Bulldogs (Philly) games and when I was visiting family in Colorado years ago I saw the Daredevils play.

Oh yeah and when I was 12, I got to play on the court the Bulldogs used in the Spectrum. I remember that being the greatest thrill of my life, to that point, playing hockey in front of thousands of empty seats.

Comment

St. Louis Vipers are STILL the RHI Champions!!!

I remember seeing Manny Legace play on quad skates.

Comment

I don't miss it. It was kinda lame. It was soooo 90's. Neon everything.

I remember how much RHI was promoted. I think I even had RHI cards of guys I never heard of at the time. I wanted to go then, but I couldn't go alone (couldn't drive yet) and I had no chance at all getting my parents to take me and my friends.

Looking back now- it's neat to see the olde style gear. SK/HM lids were all the rage.

The biggest strike against the RHI was that it wasn't the NHL. It was looked at like all the 'other' leagues... XFL, WFL, USFL, WHA, etc...

Comment

I remember when the San Jose Rhinos won it all in 95, and me thinking why couldn't the Sharks be as good.
              Puckpatrol 43 took me to my one and only Rhinos game. I still have the Rhinos decal I bought.

I also fondly remember the V-form skate that was promoted by Tony Szabo.

And was it RHI that had the ramped incline behind the goalie net? Or was that Pro Beach Hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles
                I remember when the San Jose Rhinos won it all in 95, and me thinking why couldn't the Sharks be as good.
                Puckpatrol 43 took me to my one and only Rhinos game. I still have the Rhinos decal I bought.

And was it RHI that had the ramped incline behind the goalie net? Or was that Pro Beach Hockey?
                It was Pro Beach.

Comment

Anyone ever play on one of those rinks?

Looked waaaaaay cool.

Comment

I got to play on one before a Vipers game. It was awesome, but the floor seemed very slippery. Perhaps our own Rob Laurie could shed some insight.

Comment

I used to play with Szabo and a few of those guys when they weren't in season. What's funny is that he didn't wear the v-form skates outside of the RHI.
                      Last edited by PSULion22; 08-21-2006, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Had a birthday party on the Bulldogs' floor. One of the coolest feelings ever, despite the knowledge that I would never earn a chance to play for real Beats the hell out of the local rink in Feasterville, PA, for some reason

Comment

Speaking of our own Mr. Laurie, I got to heckle him when the Bullfrogs played the Rhinos here in San Jose. I don't recall the name of the goalie who started the game, but I remember him getting tossed for knocking out a Rhinos player with a blocker shot to the back of the head. Laurie came in and fans started chanting, "Laaaauuuuu-riieeeeee.... Laaaauuuuu-riieeeeee...." I joined in for a few chants. Eh, why not?

Comment

Ramp it up!

Pro Beach hockey also had the star power of the omnipotent Jarrod Skalde.

I remember watching Jon Gustafsson take the Rhinos to the championship. The guy that relpaced him the next season sucked ***.

Comment

I got to practice with the Bullfrogs in the RHI. They were a great team and Rob Laurie is a great roller goalie. I had a chance to play Pro Beach as well. I played exhibition game in Pro Beach and actually got to change one of the main portions of the game. They initially had huge nets as they wanted to increase scoring. After playing an exhibition game I told Mcsorley that they had to put normal size nets as the net I was playing in was just to big. Players could just score to easy. Sure enought they went back to normal nets. Rumour has it that ESPN wanted Laurie to throw a game in the playoffs to extend the series to a third game in the championship. He has a lot of integrity and didn't do it. It was nice to see that he wouldn't sell himself out.

Comment

Working...
                              X