Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lombardi Trophy vs. Stanley Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lombardi Trophy vs. Stanley Cup

    I had heard that the NFL was really going to start a push to popularize the name of their championship trophy with the ultimate goal of making it the most recognized trophy in North America. Though this forum is obviously going to be biased (I know I am), do you think they have much of a chance? Seems every TV break they have a player holding it and talking about it. Most of it sounds a little forced though.

  • #2
    Put it liek this..... i didnt know what the name of the trophy was until i read this. EVERYONE knows what the trophy is for hockey.... shows how popular the name of the trophy is.

    Comment


    • #3
      The fact that there are more than 40 Lombardi Trophies means it will never hold the same mystique as the Cup. I have no idea why all those people who haven't won the trophy were posing with it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by royfan33
        I have no idea why all those people who haven't won the trophy were posing with it.
        I was thinking the exact same thing. I kept saying, "you haven't won the damn thing, so stop touching it!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by royfan33
          I have no idea why all those people who haven't won the trophy were posing with it.
          This is what I was just wondering myself. I've never really watched a Super Bowl til now, and was kind of surprised that the championship moment seemed to have more to do with Cadillac and the management of the team and not the players.

          Comment


          • #6
            plus the super bowl is only 40 years old...


            BTW plenty of people have no idea who that "Stanley guy" is and why his "Cup" is soo important

            Comment


            • #7
              If they call it the Super Lombardi Bowl or something similar, it'll happen.

              The reason the Stanley Cup is special is because it's got its legacy engraved on its sides and the championship games are named after it. The Lombardi, as the World Series flagmobile and the NBA ball are, is nondescript, IMO.
              Last edited by leaferguy; 02-05-2006, 10:49 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Actually, I wouldn't be so sure the name "Stanley Cup" is so well known (remember, we're biased here). I recall an episode of "Jeopardy" a few years ago where it was the Final Jeopardy question (the big question no one is supposed to get) and no one got it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Its not even a contest if you ask me. I have watched some football in past years and I have to be honest I didn't even know the football trophy had a name. The Stanley Cup will always be the greatest trophy known to man.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How were the players holding and touching the trophy before they even won it? I always thought, as in hockey, you aren't supposed to touch the thing unless you've won it. I, too, didn't know what this trophy was called for football until today.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Theres only one other trophy i can think of that comes close to the stanley cup in terms of heritage and age, and i may be laughed at by some but i would say its the Grey Cup. I beleive it is the oldest trophy competed for these days. Or soemthing like that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        the stanley cup is the greatest for many reasons, its long legacy, how good it looks being held horizontally over a chapions head, and another reason that no other major sports trophy has... the ability to drink lots of alcoholic beverages out of it. the cup was made for celebrating.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by royfan33
                          The fact that there are more than 40 Lombardi Trophies means it will never hold the same mystique as the Cup. I have no idea why all those people who haven't won the trophy were posing with it.
                          Actually, there are more than 1 Stanley Cup, from the original trophy to the current there are several reincarnations.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Weirdo
                            Actually, there are more than 1 Stanley Cup, from the original trophy to the current there are several reincarnations.
                            I thought it was 3, but yeah, there are more than 1.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by scissors
                              Theres only one other trophy i can think of that comes close to the stanley cup in terms of heritage and age, and i may be laughed at by some but i would say its the Grey Cup. I beleive it is the oldest trophy competed for these days. Or soemthing like that.
                              No, the Stanley Cup is actually.

                              The Grey Cup was donated to Canadian Senior Amateur Football in 1909.
                              Grey Cup

                              The Stanley Cup was donated to Amateur hockey in Canada in 1892 and first awarded in 1893.

                              Stanley Cup

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X