being a goalie is painful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being a goalie is painful

I'm a rookie and have only played 5 games in the net to date...I've noticed after each game my fingers are blood red and in excruciating pain for at least 5-10 mins. Is this supposed to be something that comes with time or is there anything I can do that'll stop my hands feeling like I was hit by a mallet.

What kind of glove are you using?

-- George.

Comment

WOW.
      Well, what kind of gloves do you have? Are your hands cold afterwards while they are red?

Rob

Comment

Woa thats NOT suppost to happen what kinda glove are you using, eather its too small or its a peice of junk or you have some sort of hand/circulation problem.

Comment

i use a koho 585 blocker and a mckenney 755 trapper

Comment

Originally posted by fusion
            WOW.
            Well, what kind of gloves do you have? Are your hands cold afterwards while they are red?

Rob

cold would be one of the many things, but i'm always cold so i didnt think too much about that

Comment

Originally posted by hitandrun
              i use a koho 585 blocker and a mckenney 755 trapper
              Which hand are you having most of your problems with? Those are good gloves so thats not the problem... If it's the glove, Id try messing with the adjustment straps.

-- George.

Comment

i think its the blocker hand that really kills, just because the glove hand is usually in full use getting sweat out of my eyes, the blocker hand usually stays out for the whole game

i just noticed i started the thread in the wrong forum, oops.
                Last edited by hitandrun; 05-30-2005, 06:45 PM. Reason: add comment

Comment

Hmmmmm.... are your hands sore just from WEARING the gloves, or is it from taking pucks to the gloves...? You mentioned something about feeling like you were being "hit by a hammer". And.. how is it you are so cold?
                  Last edited by TIMMAAYY; 05-30-2005, 07:17 PM.

Comment

the blocker hand hurts??? are you blocking the puck with the board or your hand? really though, I can't see what the problem could be, if it was the catch I would say getting a batting glove and wear it under the catch... maybe you should do that for both hands. It will keep your hand warmer and take any stingers you may get down quite a bit in the pain factor. hmmm, blocker this is odd.

Comment

Tell us a bit about your grip on the stick (are you keeping your index finger on the paddle? keeping a full fist on the shaft? etc).

Tell us about your gloves? fit properly? are they crusty?

I had/have problems with pain in my blocker hand. There are/were two causes.

1) there was a hairline fracture in the paddle near where I was holding the stick, everytime the puck hit, the stick would vibrate at the break, resulting in pain (I wound up getting a new stick).

2) I hold the stick too tight, partly due to a plam that's a bit too big and the excess material bunches up.

one adaptation I've come up with is that whenever the play is not in my zone, I rest of stick on the net (still holding the stick, but not the weight of it)

Comment

I wear a 590 glove, and im finding to get some stingers now. I'm playing against mostly AAA kids at the minor midget level though.

Comment

Sounds way too weird. Almost like a lack of blood flow. Some shots especially to the catcher are just plain stingers because they did not go into the webbin but on the blocker side, maybe time to see a doctor.

Comment

Do you have preexisting circulation problems that you know of? Being "always cold" can be a sign of something like that.

Other than that, I wonder if the problem might be with your c/a. Are you strapping your wrists too tight? What about higher up, in the biceps area? I believe (someone can correct me) that your brachial artery runs through there (you can feel it in the middle inside of your upper arm). If you're strapped in too tight, you might just be cutting off the circulation to your hands.

A bit of discomfort when taking up a new sport can be expected (as hard as it is for some of us to believe, the goalie stance is NOT a natural body position... ), but I think you should probably ask a doctor about this one. Circulation shouldn't be messed with, obviously.

Comment

wow you guys have been really helpfull. i guess the problem could be the wrist straps on my c/a, i do have them quite tight. other than that the blocker hand i think hurts because i'm just not that built in my arms so hanging on to a goalie stick which is quite different from my player stick so it just isnt sitting well especially with predominantly playing with one hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X