Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final season of men's league going disastrouse

Well,
    I had decided that this was going to be my last year of any type of league play. I have been playing in a men's over 35 league at my work which used to be fun but as with all leagues, seems the board running it have allowed younger and more gifted players come in. This inturn has made the league full arms race where more and more overly skilled players and younger goalies are filling the little league of 6 teams.

our team was always based on having fun but it's been getting worse and I have been contemplating just walking away at the end of this season. Nothing beats driving for late games and getting lit up where the games are no where near competitive and no where near fun.

last few games we haven't had our better D-man come out so its been 8-1, 9-1, 8-2 losses. countless breakaways, 2-1s and last night a 3 on 0.

It's sad that almost every team I play, we start out with low levels and then it gets infiltrated by Junior A and B, ex college and WHL players.

Pretty much souring my taste of hockey and playing goal. Sure I can't compete like I used but it's off to Shinny only for me.

I know the feeling. Next season we are splitting our team to play in our current league as well as the one just below us, I will be moving down because at 55, I can't keep up with the arms race either.

Comment

Yeah I've dropped out of a couple of leagues for the same reasons. Here's how one league that I still play in does it, full disclosure I don't play goalie in this league any longer because the overall level of play has gone up enough that It's not fair to a team to have me in nets. This year is the league's 40th anniversary season.

"The league consists of 6 teams, each team has a commercial sponsor. The teams are composed of 10-13 players per team with a skill level rating of 1-5. A rating of 1 being a player with considerable hockey experience, college, juniors, high school, etc. and 5 being a novice, beginner or an older individual that wants to play the game of hockey. The captains of the teams “draft” players with the skills 1-5 until the teams are complete and deemed fair and equitable by the board members of the league."

Comment

EEK...got blown out last night 7-1. I let in a couple of crappy goals, caught cheating for passes etc. Just so worried about my D not stopping passes I am cheating and getting caught. Played solid after the 1st period's 5 goals but oh well. just 5 more months of this.

Comment

I play on a team with the same group of guys that I’ve played with for the last 7 years or so. We played in a smaller league that had an “A” Divison on Mondays and the rest of us (so anywhere from low B to D skilled teams) on Wednesday nights. We are a C division team, depending on who shows up anywhere from mid C to sometimes High C but other times if 2 key guys are missing we are a low C or high D skill level.

First 4 years were great, we won one year, top 3 the others then the A division teams whined as they only had 5 teams so they merged the 2 divisions. It was horrendous. One week we would win 5-3 and next lose 10-1. We asked to have it fixed for 2 years before leaving the league and finding a new one.

The best the league did was to split it into top 6 bottom 6 after 10 games. We ended up in 6th place twice after 10 games and promptly lost close to all the remaining 14 games for the rest of the year as the worst of the “top division”.

Playing a late game and knowing if everyone on your team plays their absolute best the most you can hope for is not to lose by more than 2 or 3 sucks.

I feel your pain my friend.

This year new league so we are adjusting but now the issue is we are probably a if not the top team in our division and should have gone into a division higher. We didn’t know the league and guys were so worried we would get killed all year again we entered a division that we now know is quite possibly too low for us.

Sigh. Winning games easily isn’t much fun either but my guys are good - I told them “up by 4 you don’t score”. The mild protest after game 1 ended quickly when I reminded them all of how it felt to lose by 5,6,7,8 or 9 last year.

Pretty sure next year we will move up a division unless the last 2/3rds of this season we fall apart. We haven’t play the other top teams as yet so maybe we have just been feasting on a gravy schedule.

Hope things get better for you.
          Last edited by Cush29; 11-17-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Cush, I don't mind losing as long as it's fair. What I hate is we are already down by 5 or 6 and they are still cherry picking and going hard at the net for 2-1s and odd man rushes. In one game it was a 3-0. I just stood in the middle of the net and let the guy just hit me dead centre after passing it from wing to wing. lol.

Originally posted by Cush29 View Post
            I play on a team with the same group of guys that I’ve played with for the last 7 years or so. We played in a smaller league that had an “A” Divison on Mondays and the rest of us (so anywhere from low B to D skilled teams) on Wednesday nights. We are a C division team, depending on who shows up anywhere from mid C to sometimes High C but other times if 2 key guys are missing we are a low C or high D skill level.

First 4 years were great, we won one year, top 3 the others then the A division teams whined as they only had 5 teams so they merged the 2 divisions. It was horrendous. One week we would win 5-3 and next lose 10-1. We asked to have it fixed for 2 years before leaving the league and finding a new one.

The best the league did was to split it into top 6 bottom 6 after 10 games. We ended up in 6th place twice after 10 games and promptly lost close to all the remaining 14 games for the rest of the year as the worst of the “top division”.

Playing a late game and knowing if everyone on your team plays their absolute best the most you can hope for is not to lose by more than 2 or 3 sucks.

I feel your pain my friend.

This year new league so we are adjusting but now the issue is we are probably a if not the top team in our division and should have gone into a division higher. We didn’t know the league and guys were so worried we would get killed all year again we entered a division that we now know is quite possibly too low for us.

Sigh. Winning games easily isn’’t much fun either but my guys are good - I told them “”up by 4 you don’t score”.” The mild protest after game 1 ended quickly when I reminded them all of how it felt to lose by 5,6,7,8 or 9 last year.

Pretty sure next year we will move up a division unless the last 2/3rds of this season we fall apart. We haven’t play the other top teams as yet so maybe we have just been feasting on a gravy schedule.

Hope things get better for you.

Comment

^ I hear ya, teams who run up the score are the worst.

Comment

UPDATE : 0-10-0 GAA has now dropped a bit 5.70 GAA.

Comment

Working...
                X