Club Finance Management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Finance Management

HOW DOES YOUR LEAGUE OR TOURNAMENT TEAM MANAGE IT'S MONEY?

Not exactly goalie related, but I'm stuck dealing with it,so I thought I'd ask.

Is anyone part of a team that uses software/apps for league/tournament fees? Or does your team have a team bank account? Somehow I ended up on the short end of the stick with this new team that's forming up, and they want me to manage funds. We're looking at a startup fee that's more than just the League fees for this first season, so we can get set up with team jerseys/socks. I'm just looking for any ideas that have worked, or failed for that matter.

A bank account is the traditional bet, but it's going to be a pain for me to have to collect everyone's money for deposit if they aren't with the same bank as the team's account. Spending the money would be easier with a bank debit card/checks though.

There are services like Splitzees, which charges 5% on all money that comes into it's system, but it also offers team management tools such as dues tracking & reminders. For $10 a month, it'll also offer a debit card, otherwise, I would just transfer funds to my own account for payouts when needed.

Dwolla is another option, but it's pretty vague on how it works and what fees are applicable.

Paypal has been around, but I don't use it a ton, so I'm not sure how it works exactly. Is there a way to set up a team account that people can pay into?

And to keep track easily, please take the poll. I'm all for additional options as well.
    Everyone is a big boy/girl and just ponies up the cash directly to the league or tournament.
    50.00%
    A team bank account
    25.00%
    Someone's individual account
    0%
    Pay directly to a teammate, no accounting necessary
    25.00%
    A team management app/service, complete with reminders & payment tracking
    0%

Every adult league I play in anymore has a per player fee you pay at the front desk before first game. They then issue you a jersey (number recorded, jersey says what exact season it's for). I like it. You know teams are legit and not a bunch of ringers.

Tournaments we usually have one guy pay and we all pay back. Same for uniforms. Although that dude will make people pay before ordering even. It's a ****ty job.

My adult baseball team we pay the manager directly. He has a paypal account now I can just pay him through that. I think the fees are paid by the payee. This way he gets what he needs.

Comment

I send out passive aggressive texts and emails to each of my team mates reminding them when their payments are due (5 payments throughout the season) and treat them like they are 4 years old.

Our league has a team fee so we split that up among all full time players. They can pay the league directly or pay me and I pay the league. I cover my self with whatever extra money we have through spare players fees ($20/game) so I'm never really out of pocket.

Comment

The guy who runs my team also happens to run the league so usually guys just pay him cash, though, that's how it has always been for me even before being on his team. He also has a link to pay the league directly via paypal. That is his preferred payment option.

For the short amount of time that I ran a team I collected money. I just funneled all payments into my personal paypal account and then paid the league directly though paypal.

In both cases there is/was a team fee that was evenly split up between players.

Comment

None of the above. Payments are made directly to the league either by check or credit card on one of two registration nights. An annual draft is held and the board & captains assign players to teams. Team captains collect from late joiners and guys that couldn't make either of the registration skates, likewise if somebody pays on installment. If paying in installment then you pay for half the season up front and rest is due before the second half starts. If you don't pay you don't skate.

And goalies pay the same amount as skaters.

Comment

• hammbone
            hammbone commented
            Editing a comment
            how big is your league? how many teams/players?

how do you draft someone you don't even know or have seen play?

• Bassai
            Bassai commented
            Editing a comment
            Six teams over the years expansion has been considered and dropped. Lately membership is down a bit so teams are 9 to 10 skaters and a goalie. New guys show up for the registration skates and are handed a red jersey. Some of the board members will watch them and rate them from 5 (worst) to 1 (best). If they are joining at the midpoint it is kind of a guesstimate based on what level have they played previously. Doesn't always work perfectly as one guy this season came in mid season as a 3 and he's really a 1. but if he plays again next year they've got his number so to speak.

Teams are built to be as equal as possible by captains and at large board members. Once teams are built captains draw their team out of a hat. The process takes a lot of pizza and beer.

Originally posted by Bassai View Post
          None of the above. Payments are made directly to the league either by check or credit card on one of two registration nights. An annual draft is held and the board & captains assign players to teams. Team captains collect from late joiners and guys that couldn't make either of the registration skates, likewise if somebody pays on installment. If paying in installment then you pay for half the season up front and rest is due before the second half starts. If you don't pay you don't skate.

And goalies pay the same amount as skaters.
          I miss the days when I didn't have to pay to play haha

Comment

Originally posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
            I miss the days when I didn't have to pay to play haha
            I've played in 5 different leagues over the years and best I've ever gotten is half price. Never seems to be a goalie shortage around here, but I did start in this league 4 years ago b/c they were short a goalie. That's the only way I got in as a goalie as the level of play is way above me.

Comment

Working...
            X