Brian Elliot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MTH View Post
    But would George Vezina have worn wrinkly Bauers?

I see him more as a Vaughn guy. Retro Velocities with a major thighrise..

Vezina would have worn D&Rs and patched and re-patched them. No Jenpro for Mr. Vezina!

Comment

What I never understood during Elliott's time in STL is if Blues management had so much faith in the Allen/Elliott combo, why was the Halak/Miller trade ever made? Miller was a bust...Ott played pretty good, but they gave up Carrier and a few draft picks for a Miller rental...Should have let Halak finish out his contract and kept the draft picks and Carrier

Comment

Originally posted by yossarian View Post
        What I never understood during Elliott's time in STL is if Blues management had so much faith in the Allen/Elliott combo, why was the Halak/Miller trade ever made? Miller was a bust...Ott played pretty good, but they gave up Carrier and a few draft picks for a Miller rental...Should have let Halak finish out his contract and kept the draft picks and Carrier
        The Blues have a history of making silly deals, and that was one of the silliest in their history, fo sho.

Comment

I think Elliot (and Dubby for that matter) are classic examples of goalies excelling in specific D systems.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyman666 View Post
            Brian Elliot never caught my attention until he was Halak's back up for the Blues. When Halak departed, then Elliot seemed to be the next in line.

No- Jake Allen is the new number one in training under Elliot. Moose quietly accepts the role as Allen's teacher. So then Allen goes down, and Elliot shows in SPADES why he should be number one.

Allen is their guy, then goes down with an injury. Who gets the tap? Moose. Moose plays so well that he nearly takes the Blues to the Final. But who will always be number one in Hitchcock's eyes? Allen.

Moose then gets traded for a jelly doughnut to a TERRIBLE team, has a few really, really bad games, then is now wearing a ball cap on the bench. He even starts to wear ugly pads to try to get his mojo back!

I know I have left out things, as I am just not a fan boy of modern players. I am more likely to have a Ron Hextall tribute set than an Elliot or Fleury set. Moose is the ONLY NHL player I would have a jersey with his name on it these days (Vladdy Tarasenko second), but I don't know every stat on him.

I just still lament how the Blues management AND coaching staff treated Elliot. And now, Moose is fading out of prominence.

Discuss...

So... A little inside baseball...

Elliott as it's been widely reported wanted out, to be the uncontested number one. The reason why that's the case is Blues ownership has always mistrusted Elliott. For example, when Miller was acquired, that wasn't an Armstrong thing. That was ownership forcing that move. Allen was retained in large part due to age and perceived upside, but as we all know outside of the Curtis Joseph situation and the obvious acquisitions of the duos in the 60's, the Blues haven't been very good at evaluating goalie talent. Elliott should have been retained, and Allen moved given his better perception among other GMs. To go back even further, since ownership really didn't have faith in Elliott nor Halak (Halak was a PR move plus the salary forced into more games than he earned), we really should have retained Bishop -- but that's water under the bridge unless we get him back.

TL;DR -- Elliott wanted out because he was told he would never be the uncontested number one in STL.

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceNine View Post

So... A little inside baseball...

Elliott as it's been widely reported wanted out, to be the uncontested number one. The reason why that's the case is Blues ownership has always mistrusted Elliott. For example, when Miller was acquired, that wasn't an Armstrong thing. That was ownership forcing that move. Allen was retained in large part due to age and perceived upside, but as we all know outside of the Curtis Joseph situation and the obvious acquisitions of the duos in the 60's, the Blues haven't been very good at evaluating goalie talent. Elliott should have been retained, and Allen moved given his better perception among other GMs. To go back even further, since ownership really didn't have faith in Elliott nor Halak (Halak was a PR move plus the salary forced into more games than he earned), we really should have retained Bishop -- but that's water under the bridge unless we get him back.

TL;DR -- Elliott wanted out because he was told he would never be the uncontested number one in STL.
              So basically what I had felt all along- ownership AND Hitchie hated Elliot and had something against him. What a bunch of jerk offs.
              Last edited by bunnyman666; 12-25-2016, 08:38 PM.

Comment

So, I'm not wrong in my perception that Allen just isn't as good a goalie as his rep? I've not been very impressed since they handed him starters minutes.

Elliot should get more starts as the year goes on but I see why they played the hot hand in Cowtown. The team was so bad in front of him at the start of the year that they needed to get out of the hole early to stay in the playoff hunt.

Comment

Moose is starting to turn his season around, he looks alot more comfortable in the net now. Also the flames don't suck anymore haha.
                  Allen to me has never stood out , Elliott was always better.
                  I don't think Allen is strong enough to get the team deep into the playoffs.

Comment

Good thing, Johnson's had a rough go through December.

Comment

Originally posted by dreadlockgoalie View Post
                      So, I'm not wrong in my perception that Allen just isn't as good a goalie as his rep? I've not been very impressed since they handed him starters minutes.

Elliot should get more starts as the year goes on but I see why they played the hot hand in Cowtown. The team was so bad in front of him at the start of the year that they needed to get out of the hole early to stay in the playoff hunt.
                      Allen needs to go back to the minors, PERIOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Alberta View Post
                        Moose is starting to turn his season around, he looks alot more comfortable in the net now. Also the flames don't suck anymore haha.
                        Allen to me has never stood out , Elliott was always better.
                        I don't think Allen is strong enough to get the team deep into the playoffs.
                        I'm rooting for MOOSE!!!!!!

Comment

his (Elliot) GAA was always good in STL. First year with the Notes was stellar

Comment

And we should have a campaign to not only have the Blues use their WC unis, but trade Allen for Elliot.

Comment

I haven't seen their games but it sounds like Elliott is starting to play a steady game?

Comment

Originally posted by Rayzilla View Post
                                I haven't seen their games but it sounds like Elliott is starting to play a steady game?
                                Well, maybe not last game but he'd been solid in his last six or seven starts. I find he's still being a little overactive still, not quite as dialed in as with the Blues. Probably a big part of that is how bad the Flames defense can be in front of him. Still adjusting but getting better.

Comment

Working...
                                X