Brian Elliot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Elliot

Brian Elliot never caught my attention until he was Halak's back up for the Blues. When Halak departed, then Elliot seemed to be the next in line.

No- Jake Allen is the new number one in training under Elliot. Moose quietly accepts the role as Allen's teacher. So then Allen goes down, and Elliot shows in SPADES why he should be number one.

Allen is their guy, then goes down with an injury. Who gets the tap? Moose. Moose plays so well that he nearly takes the Blues to the Final. But who will always be number one in Hitchcock's eyes? Allen.

Moose then gets traded for a jelly doughnut to a TERRIBLE team, has a few really, really bad games, then is now wearing a ball cap on the bench. He even starts to wear ugly pads to try to get his mojo back!

I know I have left out things, as I am just not a fan boy of modern players. I am more likely to have a Ron Hextall tribute set than an Elliot or Fleury set. Moose is the ONLY NHL player I would have a jersey with his name on it these days (Vladdy Tarasenko second), but I don't know every stat on him.

I just still lament how the Blues management AND coaching staff treated Elliot. And now, Moose is fading out of prominence.

Discuss...

I agree with your sentiment regarding the Blues management. I've always felt he was treated unfairly but expected to shine in every game.

His stint in Calgary hasn't started as we'd hope but that's not all on him. The Flames are learning a new system and can't seem to find their stride. I do think he will bounce back this season. The Flames are on an upswing, 7-2-1 in the last 10. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Chad Johnson is known for having good streaks as a career back up. Most have said Moose excels when there is a challenge, when he has to fight for a spot. Perhaps Johnson's hot streak is what he needs to get back on track.

Comment

No- Elliot's D was invisible!

I hate to say it but I would love for Elliot to get super hot and beat the Blues on the way to a Cup. Yes- I have waited for a very long time for the Blues to get a Cup, but would LOVE for Elliot to get his revenge!!!
      Last edited by bunnyman666; 12-04-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Elliot is one of those guys that never seems to get much credit for his play, right or wrong. I've never been a big fan of his, and I think that Hitchcock's system has a way of making good goalies become excellent ones, at least statistically. Look at Bobrovsky in Cbus the last couple of years after he left. He's been great this year, but it's taken a while to get back there.

I think some of the Blues' decision comes down to cap management too. Allen signed a deal for about 4.5M/year and Elliot is a FA after this year.

Comment

• yossarian
          yossarian commented
          Editing a comment
          It's true, Allen is younger and under a longer contract. The Blues knew that with Elliott's and Allen's numbers the Golden Knights would snatch one up...so instead of losing Elliott for nothing or him leaving for FA, they traded him (a trade he asked for as well) and got something out of him.

Always been a fan of Moose. Tough to watch him struggle with the flames this season after a few misplayed goals in game 1. Everyone was right on his *** with pitch forks! Johnson is playing great...but it would be nice to see what Elliot could do with a defensive team in front of him! He needs to do something to prove his value and get re-signed!

Comment

I feel the same about Dubnyk.....who is now top 3-5 goalies in the league and is in the same conference as the Oilers...............*sigh*

Comment

Duby is another great goalie that never got the accolades.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyman666 View Post
              Duby is another great goalie that never got the accolades.
              According to a lot of people, he isn't a top 5 goalie in the NHL. People's arguments against the 1S pads is that "no top goalies wear it" when I mentioned Dubby everyone makes up some pathetic excuse as to why he isn't the top 2 right now.

Comment

Duby struggled while in edmonton. it was nice to see him get out and get under a new goalie coach who evolved him! i still think the 1s pads are ugly as hell! lol

Comment

Duby struggled here because of the coaching mentality to blame everything on the goalie and rotate them every other night. No one settled into a routine with a starting goalie. Samething in Toronto and Phillie for years. If your coaches aren't willing to show support and MacTavish was a moron so....

Comment

Originally posted by Hills View Post

According to a lot of people, he isn't a top 5 goalie in the NHL. People's arguments against the 1S pads is that "no top goalies wear it" when I mentioned Dubby everyone makes up some pathetic excuse as to why he isn't the top 2 right now.
                    It's the Bauer wrinkles that make him NOT in the top 5 LOL

Comment

In all fairness, Georges Vezina would have struggled in Edmonton at the time. Their D was on the cusp of beer league.

Comment

Flames are starting to play better defense in the past few weeks. I'm hoping they give Elliot another chance to run with it, the team defense was brutal for the first dozen or so games. Their top 3 guys (Brodie, Giordano and Hamilton), are slowly getting back to where they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by pucking_goalie View Post
                          In all fairness, Georges Vezina would have struggled in Edmonton at the time. Their D was on the cusp of beer league.
                          But would George Vezina have worn wrinkly Bauers?

I see him more as a Vaughn guy. Retro Velocities with a major thighrise..

Comment

Andersen in Toronto struggled for quite a bit at the beginning of the year too. I remember Enroth looking pretty good during the pre-season games. Then when the season opened and Andersen really struggled, the fans were calling for Enroth to start. Look how it has worked into now? I hope that Elliott gets another chance soon too.

Comment

Working...
                            X