Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vice Sports: It's Time For the NHL to Make the Goal Nets Bigger

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...al-nets-bigger

The article is very well written and really does a convincing job to want to enlarge our beloved net. The hockey fan in me wants to see it happen, the goaltender in me says "NO! Go **** yourself!"

I would subscribe to making the nets TALLER, if anything. 5' tall would make it tougher to defend than wider, as there would be more bar-down goals. Also, for the arenas that have anchors into the concrete, nothing would need to be changed.

The league needs to stop messing with the goalie equipment, as it is thin enough. I do admit that I am working on a prototype arm for a chest protector that would make the arms more form-fitting for smaller goalies.

Comment

The question is though, would increased goal scoring make the game more popular? Do we know that for sure? Is there data that supports that? Sometimes the obvious answer is not always the correct one.

Comment

I like the idea of bigger nets only because the average size of an nhl goalie is huge. Not just because of the equipment but they're just naturally taller anyway. There aren't many goalies who are under 6' anymore. If the bigger nets trickle down to beer league, I'm screwed. I'm 5' 10" tall and am the shortest goalie in all of the leagues I play with.

Another concern I have is that teams will just adjust their game to be totally defensive, a la the New Jersey Devils in the late 90's ( I think). The league would have to combat that with rule changes, maybe eliminating the red line, etc. so while I like bigger nets, I don't think it's the solution.

And as Willy says, would it make the game more popular? I don't think so.
        Last edited by parebele; 12-04-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Here's the thing the more people say there is something wrong with the game the more people listen and especially in a poor market like the US where hockey is overly expensive it drives people away from the game and watching it. There has never been anything wrong with hockey other than piss poor promotion such as this

Comment

I'm barely 5'10" without skates on so the last thing I wanna see is the net get bigger. If it does happen I hope its not by much. None of the rinks I play at have gotten any of the newer shaped cages yet so who knows, though, those changes were a lot less drastic than actually making the goal bigger.

Comment

All in all, I would rather them miss with making the O-zone bigger, take more ice away from the N-zone, than mess with the goa. Best solution to me though is making the whole sheet bigger. Not as big as Olympic ice but something more along the lines of European ice, 200'x95'.

Comment

I think hockey needs to grow organically, not by gimmicks. Yes- I said earlier to raise the height if they were going to do ANYTHING, but I really want the NHL to leave the game alone and just let the game take it's course. I got HOOKED on the game during its darkest times (according to some) and have NEVER gone off of it. American Football is boring, baseball is a snooze fest, basketball is squeaky with a thug element, and real football is pretty good, but HOCKEY IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Comment

When you consider the scores in REAL football and its worldwide popularity, hockey is comparable but only as a winter sport which none of the others really are. It is rather ridiculous that the NHL has not adopted the same point methods since adopting the same style overtime methods. They played for over a hundred yearsd issuing points in a certain manner and now in the last 20 change it without changing the points spread issue. This would again make teams try harder for the wins overall.

Comment

I think that the NHL should make every game worth 3 points, like they do in other leagues. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for overtime win and 1 for overtime loss. It would make teams push harder for the win in regulation. Regarding the size of the nets, I think they should leave them alone. If anything, make them 6 inches taller (at most), but only at the professional level. Leave them alone at all other levels. Other sports have different rules at the highest level and it isn't an issue. For example, the goal-posts are wider in college then they are in the NFL, two feet down for a catch, vs 1 in college & HS. Aluminum bats vs wood, DH vs pitchers hitting, etc, etc.

If they change anything about the goalie equipment, it should be to reduce the size of the thigh-rise on the pads. IMO, that would make the biggest difference, as it would create a 5-hole again. That being said, I like it the way it is. A 2-1 hockey game is incredibly exciting. More so than the 9-5 results that we used to see when the goalies sucked and some guys were getting 50-60 goals a season. To me, soccer (ie "real" football) is boring because there are not enough shots taken or shots on goal. The amount of scoring is fine, however, you can watch a soccer game for 30 minutes and never see a shot on goal. To me, that is the beauty of hockey. Lots of chances that keep you on edge of your seat, and when one does go in, it is a huge deal.

IMO, the reason hockey is not more popular, is that the barrier of entry for hockey is so large, because learning to skate is difficult, and the cost of ice-time is so high. With the exception of maybe polo (water and horse), or possibly moto-cross, I can't think of another sport where you have to first learn the basic method of moving, before you learn the sport itself. IMO, the way that we get more people interested in the game of hockey is by promoting non-skating versions of it, as an easier way into the game (like deck hockey or floor-hockey). That's how I got hooked on it. I played floor hockey at MSU in the dorms, and then found a local group near where I live who played it every week in a middle school gym. I played with them for 20+ years before I decided to give it a shot on the ice once my son started playing. I took adult skating and hockey lessons for a full season before picking up some used goalie gear. Now I play 2-3 times a week.

Comment

Smaller pucks. Easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by MTH View Post
                        Smaller pucks. Easy fix.
                        I was about to write te same thing. But why would hockey need a fix? It's works where it is supposed to work. Do they changed the rules to Rodeos because it doesn't create a buzz in Montreal?

Again, Soccer is probably the lowest scoring game on Earth and still, it's the most watched and followed sport on the planet. You don't need more goals, you need more people that know the game, play it and care for it.

Soccer is starting to work in North America because more kids are playing it, not because they made the net smaller, took 6 players out, put on a board around the field and allow body checks. It starts to work just because more people are playing and more people are soccer educated.

Comment

Originally posted by chakal View Post

I was about to write te same thing. But why would hockey need a fix? It's works where it is supposed to work. Do they changed the rules to Rodeos because it doesn't create a buzz in Montreal?

Again, Soccer is probably the lowest scoring game on Earth and still, it's the most watched and followed sport on the planet. You don't need more goals, you need more people that know the game, play it and care for it.

Soccer is starting to work in North America because more kids are playing it, not because they made the net smaller, took 6 players out, put on a board around the field and allow body checks. It starts to work just because more people are playing and more people are soccer educated.
                          Soccer has a very cheap barrier to entry too, something hockey is the exact opposite of.

The game itself shouldn't change, the league needs to change and start being a league about excitement and fun and not-cookie cutter BS. Also... watching an NHL game on TV is terrible, so many commercial breaks and delays. Watch soccer and you have a 15 minute break after 45 minutes of straight play time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills View Post

Soccer has a very cheap barrier to entry too, something hockey is the exact opposite of.

The game itself shouldn't change, the league needs to change and start being a league about excitement and fun and not-cookie cutter BS. Also... watching an NHL game on TV is terrible, so many commercial breaks and delays. Watch soccer and you have a 15 minute break after 45 minutes of straight play time.
                            In addition to the commercials it's becoming too much like the NFL in that every single little thing gets parsed which makes for a boring game that takes forever to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SrSieve View Post
                              I
                              If they change anything about the goalie equipment, it should be to reduce the size of the thigh-rise on the pads. IMO, that would make the biggest difference, as it would create a 5-hole again.
                              I'm going to nit pick you a bit here and mention that in the last two thigh rise shortenings, GAA has gone down.

Comment

Working...
                              X