Adult Beverage Procedures Where You Play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult Beverage Procedures Where You Play

rpitcher had a post where he mentioned beer and it reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask. It may seem really stupid, but I gotta ask due to difficulties in my league.

How is the post-game locker room beer handled in your league/team? Are people assigned a game? Do players pay for it? Etc...

The reason I am asking is that in my league the same people always bring it, but most of the players drink it. I realize there are those out there who do not drink alcohol and no problem, but those that do and never bring any are moochers!

When I was younger and lived Michigan I used to go with my Dad to his games at the rink in Fraser. In the locker room before the game the case of beer would be sitting in the middle of the room. Someone was assigned each week. My job (yes, job!) was to take the beer to the bench when the game started so that it would stay cold. After the game, during the post-game shake, I would bring the beer to the locker room and stand in the middle and wait for the team to come in. Each beer costs $1 and whoever brought the beer got the money. Yes, they had to pay for the beer, but when it was your turn to bring it you didn't have to pay. It all worked out and was done like this since I could remember. My "pay" for doing all of this was that I got to keep the empty cans which in Michigan had a 10 cent value ($2.40 total!!!).

When I got older and started playing in my league here in Tennessee I kinda expected some sort of "beer" etiquette or protocal, but have not found it. It may be that some of the players are locally born and raised and not used to post-game brew.

I don't want to sound like an [email protected] to my teammates who don't bring beer but always drink it. What should I do?

We use an alphabetical rotation. It works really well because we have 12-14 on the team, with a 12 game season before playoffs. Once the list is out, you are responsible to swap if you will miss a game. We also have a guy who brings a small grill each week, so we have added hot dos, brats, and buns as an optional for the beer-man duties. We enjoy or beverages and snack in the parking lot. The rink and local cops do not bother us.

Comment

You're not being an [email protected]@...they are just being moochers.
      Why dont you gently make a suggestion...like who wants to bring the beer next game?If gentle persuassion doesnt work, then eventually you have to be blunt.
      Remember, you can only be taken advantge of if you allow yourself to be.
      You're right, they're wrong, put your foot down.

Comment

we assign the beer duties in relation with your jersey # lowest brings first and if you don't drink, you dont have to bring it

Comment

My teams have used a number of methods

1. the guy who runs the team collects an extra $20 as part of the league fees to pay for the beer - works well in a short season league (10 games + playoffs)

2. Each guy takes a turn bringing the beer - if you miss the game, you are responsible to make sure someone else brings it - if you fail, you are "fined" an extra case.

3. Shower, and go to the bar accross the street.

Comment

I think my team is lucky. At the arena where we play there is a beer cart that comes to the dressing room after the game and then we go upstairs to the bar that overlooks the 2 ice pads. You can't beat that Adult Beverage Procedure.

Comment

I believe at the rink i mostly play at doest not allow alcohol inside the building , it is owned by the city and they just want the libility , as of outside for after games , there are a few who drink a few beers in the parking lot but each brings thier own it they want to drink...

Comment

We have the hookers bring the hooch!!

Which reminds me, Swiss tell your mama to dress more for the "occassion"!!!
                Last edited by Frosty; 01-10-2004, 10:18 AM.

Comment

This is not an issue when I play since I am usually drunk by the time I get to the rink.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Swiss2
                    This is not an issue when I play since I am usually drunk by the time I get to the rink.
                    Swiss plays to "dry out" before the next bender!!!

Comment

Unless you are rich and generous why the heck would you be paying for someone else to drink? If these guys can't pony up a buck or two (for us it is $2) tell them to get their cheap *** hands off your beer and come back when they have some cash. Your not there to give them free beer. On a side note I would feel like a wanker taking another mans beer and not paying
                      Last edited by duckshoes; 01-10-2004, 11:04 AM.

Comment

We really don't have to worry. If we win the game, we get a free pitcher from the league. If we lose, we just go up to the bar and pay 3 bucks for a pitcher. So...
                        Chris

Comment

Our team has a "beer duty" list on our website. If you are going to miss the game, you trade with someone for their beer day. Usually it all works out well.

Comment

Alchohol is not permitted in the dressing rooms! Which makes it kind of silly, seeing the trash cans brimming with cans and bottles.
                            Usually, my team just goes to the bar after. Occasionally, someone brings a twelver into the room, but that's pretty rare.
                            One group I practice with includes the beer costs in with the ice cost.

Comment

We have a team cooler that each player takes home with him after a game. His job is to replenish the liquid refreshments and keep ice in it for the next game. This system works well .

Comment

Working...
                              X