X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puck to the throat

The other night I was playing in one of my weekly pick up games and about half way through I took a shot to the throat. I've taken a few to the side of the neck before and they hurt but nothing like this. It dropped me like I'd been shot with an elephant gun. Yes I was wearing throat protection, no I didn't have a dangler on. It hit me in the seam where the throat protection is sewn to the clav protection. I just figured "if you play in the blue paint long enough stuff happens."

When it first happened it took me a few seconds to catch my breath. Once I was able to take a few breaths and wasn't spitting blood I took a sip of water and finished the game. This is a pic of what it looked like the morning after. I still can't talk right and it hurts to take a drink of water but over all I got lucky just escaped with a bad bruise. Lesson learned the dangler is back on.

Oof... all things considered, any potentially serious injury that only results in a bruise is a lucky night.

I've only been hit in the throat once, and it was with a speed puck. It stung like a sumbitch, but didn't have that beanbag shotgun feeling I'd assume an ice puck would have.

Just curious, what kind of collar do you wear?

Comment

I'd say you were really lucky. A friend of mine who used to play thought he was invincible with his "fast reflexes and lightning quick glove hand" as he used to brag to me and everyone else.

Well.....let's just say, an errant deflection proved him to be mortal.

His windpipe was crushed and he needed and emergency tracheotomy. Thankfully he survived but will never play in net again.

Glad you survived!

Comment

Dangler and Maltese collar combo have saved my throat more than once.

Comment

It happened to me once before, I bought a neck protector the next day
          Attached Files

Comment

Yah -- deflections happen. A dangler isn't perfect but it's the best option. Dangler + collar probably smart, but if you go to one I'd say dangler --- just because it's hard plastic not softer foam. Lucky man, you could have had a crushed windpipe or destroyed larynx.

PS: Nice stash.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolanster View Post
              Yah -- deflections happen. A dangler isn't perfect but it's the best option. Dangler + collar probably smart, but if you go to one I'd say dangler --- just because it's hard plastic not softer foam. Lucky man, you could have had a crushed windpipe or destroyed larynx.

Depending where the puck hits, the dangler may not help. I had one slapper a few years ago that caught the left side of my throat (it was at stick time and the guy fired from my left without my clearance). Dangler shattered, and puck impacted hard on my Maltese, which was the only reason I didn't go to the hospital that day. I had a snap shot last winter deflect up and under the dangler, and once again the Maltese did its job. I always wear the Maltese and dangler, but if someone is only going to use one, it's been my personal experience that a Maltese or gel collar of some kind is the hands-down best option.

Comment

Scary stuff... swelling to the trachea can kill you FAST! Glad you're semi-okay, gunleather!

Originally posted by Dolanster View Post
                First thing that popped in my head was:

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post
                  I always wear the Maltese and dangler, but if someone is only going to use one, it's been my personal experience that a Maltese or gel collar of some kind is the hands-down best option.
                  I tried a Maltese, and I guess I'm one of the few on this board that didn't like it. For me, was just too hot and felt too restrictive. I felt like I was getting a prickly heat rash wearing it, and I'll guess it's the best among the collar options. I had never worn a dangler either, but I got used to one quickly. A collarbone incident prompted me trying both.

Is there an NHL regulation against collars? Just wondering why so many guys wear danglers (I'd guess about 50% of NHL netminders now) and so few wear any separate collar. Was it Lindstrom (Preds) last year who was wearing a Maltese?

Comment

I'm with Tankman31. Dangler and Maltese collar is what I wear.

Comment

+1 for Maltese and dangler. A few years ago a deflected puck got under my dangler, end result was a camera down my throat to diagnose some broken cartilage rings in my trachea. I used to refuse to wear a throat protector because of the heat, wouldn't dream of playing without one now.

Comment

I've posted it before, but in breif:
                        wearing a mage 1 and dangler. Screen shot I was late reacting to.
                        As I drove down to BF my dangler flew up at the wrong time and I was hit in the adams apple.
                        I was down instantly pulling gloves and mask off. For a few seconds I couldn't breath, but that may have been panic. What wasn't panic was the inability to swallow for a few minutes.....very wierd sensation! One skater had some first aid training, scraped up some ice and held it on my throat. I actually played a bit longer, but my voice was gone, and I teach singing among other things musical, so I thought it prudent to stop and get it checked out.

At ER I was ct scanned, and whatever else they did. I had to stay until about 3:00 am before they felt it was safe. My voice permanently lost a half octave of upper range, and definitely had a negative impact on singing.

I got a new mask with an extended chin drop (though not as much as some masks these days...I sort of wish it was a bit longer) and a maltese collar in addition to a dangler.
                        I doubt I would play on ice again without collar and dangler, but for ball hockey I only use the dangler as the collar is far too hot and the risk of injury is much less.

Comment

I got a bad one in the throat last season too!

Everyone thought I gloved it cause the puck disappeared but the damn thing was stuck between my throat guard and my neck.

Bruised as well and I pretty much lost the use of my glove hand for the rest of the game. Even made my shoulder and back hurt too.

Might invest in a maltese but can't bring myself to use a dangler again.

Comment

Once hit, twice shy

A kid was killed 2 years ago in western Canada, blocking a shot. Puck hit him in the throat. With my pickup buddies, we were talking about that and they asked me why I don't wear the dangler. I told them I couldn't see the puck when it was close to me feet. I also have an over sized mask, because I wear glasses. The following week, during warmups, one of the guys (an ex NHL lineman) took a slapshot. It was a riser and I straightened up to take it on the chest. Except it hit the bottom of the mask, flipped and got me in the throat. Luckily, a lot of the speed was taken off by hitting the mask first. I've worn the dangler ever since.

Comment

I've had too many pucks hit my chest protector and skip up under my dangler to make me put up with wearing one. I wear a Crouch collar and clav set up and haven't looked back. That being said, I don't think I would even get on the ice if I ever forgot it at home. Being short puts your head in the prime shooting areas too often to play with no throat protection at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X