X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Goalie Pad Size

I'm very upset with the new goalie rules. The rule on the length was 38 inches long for all goalies. Now the NHL wants to further increase goal scoring by making the rule

The Limiting Distance Size will be the sum of the floor to knee and 55% of the knee to pelvis measurements plus a four inch (4) allowance for the height of the skate.

How dumb is this rule. Now goalies who were taking up the whole bottom portion of the net can increase their pad size even longer. A tall goalie can have any size pad lets say 41+2 if it fits the rule. With no limit to the length if the legs are long enough. This discriminates so badly to shorter goalies.

Why should poor skating tall goalies be allowed to sit deep in the crease in a blocking butterfly??? Henrik Lundqvist anyone...There' no skill to this at all. Have you seen King Henrik on a breakaway or shootout shot he barely moves. He waits for the shooter to make the first move. His body is taking up most of the net anyway.

So you can now have an amazing skating and agile goalie who has shorter legs who can only wear a 34 inch leg pad. The other goalie can be a poor skater with long legs who sits in a deep butterfly all day with 42 inch pads. He gets 8 inches more length in each pad 16 more inches overall. This is complete bull****. Make the game more robotic and boring. Just find guy with the longest legs and make him a goalie.

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/hoc...oalies-15.html

Comment

Whoa, pump the brakes.

I hear you on your rant's spirit, but uhm, you've made some pretty bold statements there, no?

You do realize Lundy plays deep in the net because he feels this gives him more time to react to a shot? He does this as what he sees as an advantage, yet, debatably, it may not be, as he gives up angles and space. Yet. He makes saves with his hands doing this. He must have remarkable luck to be an NHL goalie, consistantly playing at the top of the league, while doing this chosen method.

Second blunder in your summation: Yeah, he does wait for the shooter to make the first move. Like any goaltender that knows what they're doing will do. It's gospel bro, wait for them, then react and shut them down.

Is he flawless? Hardly. Is he lucky? Hardly. Has he got the both of us, and mostly everyone on this board trumped in the goaltending skill department? Absolutly. I'll defer to his expierence and record over heated innar-webz opinion any day of the week...

Comment

Dude who ****'s in your cereal each day?

Comment

My complaint isn't a direct shot at Henrik. I agree with a lot of the guys on here.

bc30 on this borad said,"The 38" standard was working fine. not one goalie wearing 38" high pads was complaining about being unprotected. Now you have this idiotic "proportional sizing" that is allowing some guys to wear pads that are 40-41" tall.

They solved the "problem" of Manny Lecace's 34+4 by allowing Pekka Rinne to wear a 37+4

If they thought 38" pads were too big, they should have mandated 37", or 36", or whatever length made them happy. Instead, they cured a nonexistent disease with a complicated formula that made the disease worse."

Why should Pekka Rinne go from a 38 inch pad which was protecting him fine to a 41 inch pad.....They want to make the league about tall goalies only it's total BS and the first comment understood me. The next two have no clue.

Comment

I don't know why it matters so much to have less tall goalies in the league. Its the evolution of the game. Should the NBA legislate smaller players into the game? Say every team has a sub 6'3 white guy? No, that'd be stupid. I'm not a tall guy, 5'9, but I don't care that the league favors taller goalies. Why? Because it doesn't affect me one bit. I don't get inspired seeing Halak play, I don't think -Good for him, he made it despite the league favoring taller goalies-.
            Its life, taller goalies may not always be better but its the paradigm in the league. You can't teach size but you can teach the butterfly.
            I think taller goalies using the same size thigh rise as a smaller goalie only makes sense. How is it any more logical that one goalie can get away with a +4, and another goalie with a +1, you could almost say that discriminates against the larger goalie. If anything, in a way, the league standardized thigh rise size. Yes, its a convoluted formula, yes, it allows for larger pads, but now all goalies can have similar equipment available to them. Rinne with a +3 makes just as much sense as Halak with a +3.
            Last edited by toddamus; 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toddamus View Post
              I don't know why it matters so much to have less tall goalies in the league. Its the evolution of the game. Should the NBA legislate smaller players into the game? Say every team has a sub 6'3 white guy? No, that'd be stupid. I'm not a tall guy, 5'9, but I don't care that the league favors taller goalies. Why? Because it doesn't affect me one bit. I don't get inspired seeing Halak play, I don't think -Good for him, he made it despite the league favoring taller goalies-.
              Its life, taller goalies may not always be better but its the paradigm in the league. You can't teach size but you can teach the butterfly.
              I think taller goalies using the same size thigh rise as a smaller goalie only makes sense. How is it any more logical that one goalie can get away with a +4, and another goalie with a +1, you could almost say that discriminates against the larger goalie. If anything, in a way, the league standardized thigh rise size. Yes, its a convoluted formula, yes, it allows for larger pads, but now all goalies can have similar equipment available to them. Rinne with a +3 makes just as much sense as Halak with a +3.

how about we get rid of all + sizing,

Comment

Originally posted by SubZeroWins View Post
                My complaint isn't a direct shot at Henrik. I agree with a lot of the guys on here...

They want to make the league about tall goalies only it's total BS and the first comment understood me. The next two have no clue.
                I understood you just fine, you just stated your opinion badly, by means of some contrived rant on Lundqvist, when your point was supposed to be about pad measuring systems...

Comment

I'm honestly fine with the size rules. Most goalies seem to be 6"0 and over in the nhl and just because you take up space dosnt mean you are good, there is still alot required to be good as a goaltender.

Comment

All the NHL goalies were protected fine with no leg issues with a 38 inch maximum. I saw Pekka Rinnes pads again last night and laughed. Pekka was protected fine with 38 inch pads.

I thought of a good rule to keep the 38 inch maximum and restrict Manny Legace from wearing 38 inch pad, because he's a shorter goalie.

Goalies under 6 feet tall have a 36 inch pad maximum. Goalies 6.0-6.3 have a 37 inch pad maximum and goalies 6.4 inches and taller have a 38 inch maximum. 38 was the maximum and no giant goalie had a protection issue.

Pekka's 41 inch pad goes all the way up his breezers. With the modern knee protection and breezers the tall goalies are adequately protected. I understand the NHL didn't want goalies like manny legace who should have been in a 34+1, but were wearing 34+4 to take up more of the net. They solved this by making the new maximum infinite inches based on height.

I love my solution 36 inch for short goalies 37 inch for medium goalies and 38 inch for tall goalie. Having a desparity of 34 to 42 inches isn't justified and is total BS. Look at Pekka Rinne and his new pads. He has way too much protection and he does this to cover everything low.

Comment

Where did you see Rinne's 41" pads?

Comment

Originally posted by grizzlygoalie View Post
                        how about we get rid of all + sizing,
                        Heretic.

Comment

Originally posted by SubZeroWins View Post
                          All the NHL goalies were protected fine with no leg issues with a 38 inch maximum. I saw Pekka Rinnes pads again last night and laughed. Pekka was protected fine with 38 inch pads.

I thought of a good rule to keep the 38 inch maximum and restrict Manny Legace from wearing 38 inch pad, because he's a shorter goalie.

Goalies under 6 feet tall have a 36 inch pad maximum. Goalies 6.0-6.3 have a 37 inch pad maximum and goalies 6.4 inches and taller have a 38 inch maximum. 38 was the maximum and no giant goalie had a protection issue.

Pekka's 41 inch pad goes all the way up his breezers. With the modern knee protection and breezers the tall goalies are adequately protected. I understand the NHL didn't want goalies like manny legace who should have been in a 34+1, but were wearing 34+4 to take up more of the net. They solved this by making the new maximum infinite inches based on height.

I love my solution 36 inch for short goalies 37 inch for medium goalies and 38 inch for tall goalie. Having a desparity of 34 to 42 inches isn't justified and is total BS. Look at Pekka Rinne and his new pads. He has way too much protection and he does this to cover everything low.
                          OOORRR you size a goalie's pad based on atk so his knee is centered on the landing gear and only allow a maximum thighrise of +1. If you aren't flexible enough to close that fivehole suck it up and wear knee pads.

Comment

it comes down to how many goals the league wants scored in a game.

look, AS LONG AS THE GOALIES are safe- does it really make a difference? other than stats?

if they make the gear smaller, than where a 2.1 GAA (say) was considered a stellar GAA, then 3.1 may be a good #... it's all relative, bc everyone in the league will be subject to the same rules. and the goalies will just adapt.

may effect certain guys more than others.

you cant make the net bigger for a bigger goalie, so something has to be done, IF the league wants more goals (obviously no one on this board does)

it's about the popularity of the league- look at the NFL (you cant hit the QB, you cant hit a guy running over the middle) - it's to tip the scales in favor of offense, which the general public seems to gravitate to. (NOT US obv)

Comment

Originally posted by ant30 View Post
                              it comes down to how many goals the league wants scored in a game.

look, AS LONG AS THE GOALIES are safe- does it really make a difference? other than stats?

if they make the gear smaller, than where a 2.1 GAA (say) was considered a stellar GAA, then 3.1 may be a good #... it's all relative, bc everyone in the league will be subject to the same rules. and the goalies will just adapt.

may effect certain guys more than others.

you cant make the net bigger for a bigger goalie, so something has to be done, IF the league wants more goals (obviously no one on this board does)

it's about the popularity of the league- look at the NFL (you cant hit the QB, you cant hit a guy running over the middle) - it's to tip the scales in favor of offense, which the general public seems to gravitate to. (NOT US obv)
                              Excellent post.

Grant Fuhr's GAA during his Edmonton years was 3.73. One year he had 4 shutouts, the rest he had one or none.

He carried a 3.38 career GAA.

His best GAA were accomplished with the Blues; all were below 3.

He only had two seasons with a +.900 save %; those were with the Blues.

All he did was win 4 Cups in 5 seasons. Should've had a 5th, but we know what happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X