Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .4 % chance

Great article at ingoalmag.com .

From Ontario minor hockey to the Ontario Hockey League and beyond: An 11-year Retrospective Analysis - The Goalie Magazine - InGoalMag.com

Statistical back up to the odds of playing in the NHL.

Some take aways for me.

1) even if you are drafted to the OHL , only 37% actually end up playing in the OHL.

2) only .4 % of goalies in the OHL make it to the NHL.

3) I think the numbers indicate that if you are not even one of the athletes considered by the OHL ( or equivalent) your stats become more dire.

On a lighter note, I am saying " so, you still have a chance"........

Please parents, just let your kid play for fun.

Originally posted by keeks2915 View Post
    Great article at ingoalmag.com .

From Ontario minor hockey to the Ontario Hockey League and beyond: An 11-year Retrospective Analysis - The Goalie Magazine - InGoalMag.com

Statistical back up to the odds of playing in the NHL.

Some take aways for me.

1) even if you are drafted to the OHL , only 37% actually end up playing in the OHL.

2) only .4 % of goalies in the OHL make it to the NHL.

3) I think the numbers indicate that if you are not even one of the athletes considered by the OHL ( or equivalent) your stats become more dire.

On a lighter note, I am saying " so, you still have a chance"........

Please parents, just let your kid play for fun.
    Great article and lots of good discussion with it. Like I said in the comments below...Im interested to see the stats by league including the AHL.

In my eyes, Europe has had the greatest impact on the stats.

Comment

Congrats on being one of the > .4% Keeks. It's truly amazing the level of skill and athleticism most of the kids have who make it. The best guys I've ever played with have been NHL washouts and it makes you shake your head to think how good the guys are who are there if these guys didn't make it and stick. It's also like golf and tennis. 100x or 1000x guys have the skills than the number of guys who actually make it --- the differentiator is the head game: smarts and heart and determination.

Comment

I wasn't even good enough to be drafted to the ohl....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dolanster View Post
            Congrats on being one of the > .4% Keeks. It's truly amazing the level of skill and athleticism most of the kids have who make it. The best guys I've ever played with have been NHL washouts and it makes you shake your head to think how good the guys are who are there if these guys didn't make it and stick. It's also like golf and tennis. 100x or 1000x guys have the skills than the number of guys who actually make it --- the differentiator is the head game: smarts and heart and determination.
            and opportunity and luck, mostly luck.

Comment

Originally posted by way2fast91 View Post
              and opportunity and luck, mostly luck.
              It is comforting to attribute success to luck.

That is why the scratch tickets at 7-11 are good sellers...

Comment

So, what you're saying is that my odds are better winning the Powerball and buying a NHL team and dressing for them?

Buying tickets today.

Comment

Originally posted by keeks2915 View Post
                  It is comforting to attribute success to luck.

That is why the scratch tickets at 7-11 are good sellers...
                  You have to be lucky enough to have the right opportunities.

You have to have the right opportunity to be successful.

You have to have the right desire, work ethic, ability to start with.

Desire, work ethic, ability are not going to take you anywhere without an opportunity.

The right opportunity involves some luck, having the ability involves some luck. Desire and work ethic don't really involve luck or opportunity, but without any ability they aren't likely to get you into the NHL, unless you are lucky.

Comment

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.

Most people are so under-prepared to meet Mr Opportunity, that they never even know they are in the same zip code, even when they are standing right next to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                      So, what you're saying is that my odds are better winning the Powerball and buying a NHL team and dressing for them?

Buying tickets today.
                      You're on to something. Anybody want to pool some money for the next time the Coyotes go belly up?

We could charge a fee for try-outs and do it American Idol.

Comment

Originally posted by stevrock View Post
                        You're on to something. Anybody want to pool some money for the next time the Coyotes go belly up?

We could charge a fee for try-outs and do it American Idol.

American Goalie!

First week....who's helmet is better
                        Second week...stand up vs/ butterfly
                        Third...pro return, pro spec, or retail?
                        Fourth...continuation of the third episode
                        Fifth...back to what helmet is the best but this time all about which cage gives you the best vision and to cat eye or not.
                        Sixth...Strapping setups.
                        And on it goes...

Comment

Yotes are so poor that they're looking at a fantasy camp type thing for the entire year.

Come to think of it, that would be pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent33 View Post
                            hahahahaha!!

keeks is right, let them play for fun. Its great that the skill level is so high in college, but parents are going insane to get their kid to d1 scholarships from mites. We all wind up playing mens league, and the most important thing is if the beer is cold or not.

Comment

Originally posted by NHGoalie View Post
                              ...... parents are going insane to get their kid to d1 scholarships from mites. We all wind up playing mens league, and the most important thing is if the beer is cold or not.
                              I actually had a mite parent tell me there plan to get there kid to either North Dakota or the University of Minnesota. I told them "Wow all I want for my kid is for him to love the game enuff to still be playing when he's bald & fat." Sure I want him to do his best and play at the highest level he has the ability and desire to, but that's not the most important thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X