X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanaban Fail

Hopes were so high that he could make a difference. Fail after fail to bring down the fist, and the result is a despicable affair of cheap shots and $2500 fines for millionaires. Pathetic! I love hockey, and cheap head shots aren't part of it.

Hagelin/Weber/(take your pick) should have been picking their teeth off the ice and swearing to themselves they'd never do that again, if discipline was handed out by the players.

Solution: Take out instigator rule, BIG fines like $100k+ and if hit was malicious, offending player is out as long as the victim is. IMO

We went through this the last time there a series of headshots happening.

Isnt he dishing out the maximum fines allowable by the CBA?

If I remember, he's not the problem. The CBA is.

Comment

Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post
      Hopes were so high that he could make a difference. Fail after fail to bring down the fist, and the result is a despicable affair of cheap shots and $2500 fines for millionaires. Pathetic! I love hockey, and cheap head shots aren't part of it.

Hagelin/Weber/(take your pick) should have been picking their teeth off the ice and swearing to themselves they'd never do that again, if discipline was handed out by the players.

Solution: Take out instigator rule, BIG fines like $100k+ and if hit was malicious, offending player is out as long as the victim is. IMO
      And not even reviewing burns blatant elbow smash to the head.

Fail

Comment

Originally posted by NoLuongo View Post
        They stopped/slowed down at some point?

Fair enough. I'm not laying all the fault at Shanahan's feet, but the way the league is dealing with this very real problem, is clearly not working
        Last edited by Schadenfreude; 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM. Reason: Comma

Comment

Originally posted by ukgoalie View Post
          And not even reviewing burns blatant elbow smash to the head.

Fail
          Don't worry, they'll suspend Asham, you know, to set an example to the important players that they'll only be fined unless someone dies on the ice

Comment

Originally posted by NoLuongo View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the light suspensions get handed out to appease the nhlpa for the upcoming contract talks.

Comment

This has been the dirtiest playoffs I've seen since the mid-90's. And I'm not just talking about the Pens/Flyers series where I'm most vocal. It was amazing to see the Panthers/Devils game where only 4 elbows were thrown, and a couple of charging were ignored because it was the least cheap game.

Players have no punishments to stop them. What happened to the days when if you were a ****, Laroque would punch your face into the ice, or Chara would end your smug smile with a 10ft reach to the face. Now it's all sticks or pads to the head and the player's back out on the ice the next game.

Edited because a curse word wasn't blocked...sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Schadenfreude View Post

This illustrates how things go...

Two things appear to be taken into account when supplementary discipline is handed out.

1) Is the player a star player, if so the supplementary discipline is basically waived.

2) Was the player who was hit injured. Basically they are penalizing the result not the intent.

Hagelin v. Weber is a great case study. Zetterberg claims he's healthy and plays. Alfredsson has to have a concussion.

But look at the differences in the plays. Hagelin's was a hockey play that got a little out of hand. He's never had a major, he's very much a clean player. The hit got out of hand. I can understand a fine, I could even understand a 1 game. 3 games is ridiculous.

Weber on the other hand, grabbed Z's head with both hands and attempted to smash it into the dasher like he was Gorilla Monsoon taking someone into a turnbuckle. He gets a slap on the wrist.

This sounds like a guy who really tried to take Alfredsson's head off: BlueShirts United - A "Regretful" Hagelin

The Rangers comment on Hagelin's suspension was dead on if you ask me:

"The New York Rangers accept the NHL's three-game suspension of Carl Hagelin and will not pursue an appeal. However, we are thoroughly perplexed in the ruling's inconsistency with other supplementary discipline decisions that have been made throughout this season and during the playoffs. We will have no further comment on this decision."

Comment

The First Round has been an absolute ****ing JOKE with the referee's and calls.

This isn't good hockey. I've spent more time watching people getting picked up off the ice, scrums going on for minutes on end with entire teams, and headshot, after headshot.

The Ott v NY game the other day was a travesty of hockey. Ottawa came out playing "Slapshot" hockey. The opening lineup was all goons and fighters. This was a meditated move to bring real violence to the game.

Checks are being finished late on all games. hits are high. people are leaving their feet. checks are bigger and nastier than they need to be.

Before you say "thats playoff hockey". I have to say PHOOOOOOOOEY. thats not playoff hockey.

The thing that makes it that much worse is the absolutely blown calls by the referees. They have been the worst. you have huge body checks being thrown 5-10 seconds after a guy has dished the puck to no call. You have slashes, Hacks, Elbows, knees (Franzen has been absolutely goonish all series) with zero calls.

Then you get the random "hooking" call for the 1/2 second grab.

the inconsistancy is deplorable. Then Buttman gives a mandate that anyone questioning the officials in media will be fined heavily.

There's something fishy in the NHL right now, and I hope that someone doesn't end up permanently injured because of it.

Comment

Any word if Shanahan gets more pay in the post-season?
                    He should as he's been busier!

Comment

Originally posted by Sprawl View Post
                      The First Round has been an absolute ****ing JOKE with the referee's and calls.

This isn't good hockey. I've spent more time watching people getting picked up off the ice, scrums going on for minutes on end with entire teams, and headshot, after headshot.

The Ott v NY game the other day was a travesty of hockey. Ottawa came out playing "Slapshot" hockey. The opening lineup was all goons and fighters. This was a meditated move to bring real violence to the game.

Checks are being finished late on all games. hits are high. people are leaving their feet. checks are bigger and nastier than they need to be.

Before you say "thats playoff hockey". I have to say PHOOOOOOOOEY. thats not playoff hockey.

The thing that makes it that much worse is the absolutely blown calls by the referees. They have been the worst. you have huge body checks being thrown 5-10 seconds after a guy has dished the puck to no call. You have slashes, Hacks, Elbows, knees (Franzen has been absolutely goonish all series) with zero calls.

Then you get the random "hooking" call for the 1/2 second grab.

the inconsistancy is deplorable. Then Buttman gives a mandate that anyone questioning the officials in media will be fined heavily.

There's something fishy in the NHL right now, and I hope that someone doesn't end up permanently injured because of it.
                      ^^^ This. I've said it to friends, the officiating in EVERY series has been suspect at best.

I just don't understand how the game turned so violent so suddenly. I too, and not liking what I'm seeing.

My wife even said it, she said it's too nasty this year and that she really loved watching the NCAA Frozen Four as that was better hockey. It pains me to do this, but I agree with the wife!

Comment

I only got to watch the Flyers game yesterday, but I agree w/the playoff hits.

Neal twice yesterday. If he isn't suspended, someone needs to pull a Tie Domi and jump into the penalty box after him and kick the hell out of him. But really, Rinaldo needs to just lay him out if he ends up playing Wednesday. That hit on Couturier was so blatant, it was criminal. He looked like he took more than 2 strides towards him, and he DEFINITELY left his feet to make the hit. This Penguins team is amazing because not only are the mucker & grinders thugs like Letang, Vitale Asham & Kunitz. But the skill players are even bigger thugs like Crosby, Malkin & Neal. How many phony, "hope no one is looking" type BS did Crosby get caught up in yesterday?

And that Asham beating on Schenn is disgusting. Schenn layed someone out w/a completely clean hit, and then Asham finds him in a defense-less position, hands and stick up high into the throat/face, takes him down, follows him to the ice before punching the back of head and slamming his face into the ice. Asham should be suspended for not only the remainder of the playoffs, but part of next season also.

My fear is, even though it looks like the Penguins season will be ending shortly, I don't want them to end up taking out half the Flyers skill players also.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozer3677 View Post
                          Neal twice yesterday. If he isn't suspended, someone needs to pull a Tie Domi and jump into the penalty box after him and kick the hell out of him. But really, Rinaldo needs to just lay him out if he ends up playing Wednesday. That hit on Couturier was so blatant, it was criminal. He looked like he took more than 2 strides towards him, and he DEFINITELY left his feet to make the hit. This Penguins team is amazing because not only are the mucker & grinders thugs like Letang, Vitale Asham & Kunitz. But the skill players are even bigger thugs like Crosby, Malkin & Neal. How many phony, "hope no one is looking" type BS did Crosby get caught up in yesterday?
                          I'm not a Crosby fan. I really am indifferent to the Penguins. But I do not know how Crosby made it through that game without being ejected. He was in the midst of so much crap.

Comment

Originally posted by WI_stinger39 View Post
                            Don't worry, they'll suspend Asham, you know, to set an example to the important players that they'll only be fined unless someone dies on the ice
                            The funny thing is burns head shot was as blatant as ashams. Maybe it doesn't even require a hearing it's that bad, or perhaps shanaban has a 'you get 1 game to get your own back' rule ?

Comment

Originally posted by geojedi View Post
                              Any word if Shanahan gets more pay in the post-season?
                              He should as he's been busier!
                              You shouldn't be paid more if you make stupid work-related decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X