X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And once again the Robot's sink the Leafs

Can someone please explain why you have to butterfly on a shot going wide?? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just watched the ending to that game, and I'm sorry but I have no answer for you.
    Talk about overplaying a shot.

Comment

The current problem is EVERYONE who plays for that GC MUST play his style.

Who can they get to come in that will agree to play that style?

In Anaheim they paid huge $$$$ for free agent David McKee from Cornell.

He was small and did not play a blocking style. When he wouldn't adapt..... Just put on the pile.

Comment

Originally posted by keeks2915 View Post
        The current problem is EVERYONE who plays for that GC MUST play his style.

Who can they get to come in that will agree to play that style?

In Anaheim they paid huge $$$$ for free agent David McKee from Cornell.

He was small and did not play a blocking style. When he wouldn't adapt..... Just put on the pile.
        True.....sad but true

On an opposite note, it was fun watching MB flop around, pad stack and play the puck.

Why did we loose this by so many?????

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyOne View Post
          True.....sad but true

On an opposite note, it was fun watching MB flop around, pad stack and play the puck.

Why did we loose this by so many?????
          And how about that pass from his glove side that he intercepted with the back side of his stick ? It was a sure goal on a modern goalie that hasn't developed the requisite active stick.

Beauty!

Comment

Its simple, Gustavsson hasnt learned a single thing since he came to the NHL, he makes the same mistakes, he gives up the same bad goals, he has never fixed his slow hands or his HORRRRRIBLE positioning.

I am happy that his contract ends at year end because he can become some other goaltending coaches problem.

Comment

I can't say that I know much about anything, but gustavsson just looks uncomfortable in his own skin out there. He's very quick, but it's all wasted because his puck tracking is not very good. Watching him is like watching fleury on a bad day. It looks even worse when he's playing against a master like brodeur. Just seems like wasted talent if you take reflexes like that and lock them into a blocking style. I kind of feel bad for the guy, it's like watching a drunk guy try the wrong key in his neighbor's door for 60 minutes.

Comment

Goals 1 and 3 were clearly this narrow style of butterfly that gives a direct and unimpeded channel right through the legs. (made a post about it in the "when blocking goalies dont block" thread and got little response)

1. Instead of pinching the knees and thighrise tightly in one quick drive, why does Allaire teach that you should swing your heels behind you and force your knees to seperate by a few inches?

2. Instead of keeping the stick in the five hole, and using the maximum blocking surface of the blocker, why does he teach that you should make your blocker small by twisting it sideways, and remove your stick entirely from the save or rebound control?

I'm not trying to make an argument that these guys are robots, that Allaire is a bad coach, or that goalies shouldn't play a modern profly game. I just cannot rationalize this method for stopping five hole shots.

Comment

Originally posted by xethicx View Post
                  Its simple, Gustavsson hasnt learned a single thing since he came to the NHL, he makes the same mistakes, he gives up the same bad goals, he has never fixed his slow hands or his HORRRRRIBLE positioning.

I am happy that his contract ends at year end because he can become some other goaltending coaches problem.
                  He was playing decent not too long ago, not overplaying the puck and reacting more to the shots but man, lately he just doesn't seem to know what to do so he is delayed in even getting into the butterfly because of hesitation due to his lack of confidence right now.

I do find it pretty stupid not to have an older goaltender and rather having two young, unproven goaltenders.

And Wilson NEEDS TO GO.

Comment

Personally I think most of the very talented goalies that are struggling is due to Goalie Coaches. These guys have talent and know how to stop the puck. But the go to places with Coaches so stuck in their style they are forced to Adapt or sit in the minors or on the bench. Thus this creates way to much thinking - you can see them act naturally, and it looks like half way they catch themselves, think " Oh Sh*t, this is wrong" and try to change, and it ends up costing them. This is very obvious with Gus and Briz, and with Reimer as well if you really watch him. I think this is part of Vokons issue earlier this season as well but he has adapted a bit better.

To me this is a problem more of everyone fixating on the style and not the substance of stopping the puck. To many coaches are worried about "what looks right" and not what does the job.

Comment

I agree on the goalie coach stuck in the style. I always admired people who could teach anything or any style. Then again some people just seem to think anyone can fit into a cookie cutter style. Imagine the madness if Brodeur or Nabokov had been stuck with one of these guys early on!

Comment

Originally posted by Multipass View Post
                        Goals 1 and 3 were clearly this narrow style of butterfly that gives a direct and unimpeded channel right through the legs. (made a post about it in the "when blocking goalies dont block" thread and got little response)

1. Instead of pinching the knees and thighrise tightly in one quick drive, why does Allaire teach that you should swing your heels behind you and force your knees to seperate by a few inches?

2. Instead of keeping the stick in the five hole, and using the maximum blocking surface of the blocker, why does he teach that you should make your blocker small by twisting it sideways, and remove your stick entirely from the save or rebound control?

I'm not trying to make an argument that these guys are robots, that Allaire is a bad coach, or that goalies shouldn't play a modern profly game. I just cannot rationalize this method for stopping five hole shots.
                        I"m sure I'll get accused of defending Allaire, but I believe the rationale is this:

1. He doesn't teach that the knees should separate. The narrowness actually affords a tighter knee seal, albeit not with the thighrise.

2. The priority is on making the torso a solid block by getting the elbows in, and if the knees are together, in theory there is no hole even with the stick not centred.

I am not arguing that this is the best idea, only explaining what I believe the rational to be.

I think there are definitely flaws in the Allaire style:
                        stick discipline, playing system instead of reading shots, predictability, immediately come to mind, and it is why for me, the style cannot be the be all end all of playing. However I think the concepts of taking away the bottom and centre of the net, being positionally sound and aiming at nothing under or through are not solely the property of Allaire or bad things to do.
                        The problem is it won't work if that is the sum total of what you do, and you try to do it standing on the goal line.

I get that we are all on the Allaire sucks bandwagon (remember a few months back when we were all on the Luongo sucks bandwagon? ), but I still say the finger must be pointed at the guys actually between the pipes who are not executing any style properly. Gustavsson simply has never impressed me. Reimer has, but ever since the injury his *** is on the goal line all the time and 100% passive.
                        And of course I always wanted Giguere re-signed, who btw is doing pretty well this season well with the antiquated style. I definitely felt going with two inexperienced goalies was a mistake in any event.

My fear now is that in the hysteria of missing the play-offs again there is pressure on Burke to aquire a mediocre veteran this week, which will probably result in the annual failed play-off push where the Leafs miss by just enough to justify (in Burke's mind) keeping Wilson around.

I have to be honest though. I'm kind of over Burke. He did a great job of putting some really key elements in place in Anaheim (Neidermeyer, Selanne, Pronger) but he didn't have to build it from the ground up, and I'm not sure the Burke Leafs are really any better than the John Ferguson Junior Leafs in any meaningful way...(aside from nicer uniforms. )
                        Last edited by spidergoalie; 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzlygoalie View Post
                          Personally I think most of the very talented goalies that are struggling is due to Goalie Coaches. These guys have talent and know how to stop the puck. But the go to places with Coaches so stuck in their style they are forced to Adapt or sit in the minors or on the bench. Thus this creates way to much thinking - you can see them act naturally, and it looks like half way they catch themselves, think " Oh Sh*t, this is wrong" and try to change, and it ends up costing them. This is very obvious with Gus and Briz, and with Reimer as well if you really watch him. I think this is part of Vokons issue earlier this season as well but he has adapted a bit better.

To me this is a problem more of everyone fixating on the style and not the substance of stopping the puck. To many coaches are worried about "what looks right" and not what does the job.
                          Which is why at 3:40 into this clip every coach should replay these words over and over and over until they become their mantra
                          The Strelow Way

Comment

Originally posted by CubanPuckstoppr View Post
                            Which is why at 3:40 into this clip every coach should replay these words over and over and over until they become their mantra
                            The Strelow Way
                            Amen Brother Cubes, Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by sloth2946 View Post
                              Amen Brother Cubes, Amen.
                              Jack McCartan tried to change me into a stand up goalie my first NHL training camp.

He wanted to turn me into a McLean clone.

This is the exact reason to this day I detest the approach of any goalie coach who tries to change one of their students' fundamental approach.

He never did turn me into a full time NHL goalie ( except for that one game) but he DID truly contribute to me becoming an NHL goalie coach. And I made sure I used the lesson I learned from him and never force my style of the goalie.

Comment

Working...
                              X