• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sean
    started a topic $2 fee for Classified ads

$2 fee for Classified ads

Hello everyone,

A little under a year ago we installed a new classified ads system that is in use today. When it was setup, we offered all our members 5 free classified ads with additional ads costing $2.

Today I've been instructed by Paul to remove the free ad provision and set the system to charge a fee of $2 for each ad.

Right now we are using Paypal to process the fees and some people have had trouble completing the process. At the end of the paypal process there's a link that says 'return to merchant'. You must click on that link for your ad to get automatically posted. If your ad doesn't get posted please PM me and I'll get it up even if you miss the link.

In the next couple of weeks I'll have a new process in place that will be much simpler.

Thanks,
    Sean

• soulpatch
    replied
    Originally posted by Hockey3081 View Post
    That's a pretty subjective statement.
    First sponsors
    Second pay after 5 ads
    Third pay for ads

not sure what you would constitute a slippery slope. Normally one would think that when you continue down a path with no end in sight towards something that would lead to hurting the initial intent (paid membership, more fees, ect.) then you are on a slope.

Each step of the way it is pretty much said that that step was needed for bills, profit, ect. Each step takes you one step closer to something that hurts the original goal...

Leave a comment:

• albertaboy
    replied
    Why is this thread not locked? It is serving no purpose at this point other than allowing a point that really isn't up for discussion to fester.

Leave a comment:

• Hockey3081
    replied
    Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
    The site is currently on a slippery slope.

That's a pretty subjective statement.

Leave a comment:

• soulpatch
    replied
    The issue is not so much the charge for a lot of us but the methods that this is all going down. The site is currently on a slippery slope. Where is the line???

Leave a comment:

• Hockey3081
    replied
    Originally posted by Huntster View Post
    People keep mentioning ebay and how it is more expensive. The thing they don't mention is that ebay has a dispute resolution option and some protections. They alos have a easy to see rating system.

Does this board offer any thing of the sort? Or will it in the future?

I know that nothing is going to change regardless of what we say but I think all the ads that were posted for free should be pulled. Doesn't seem to fair that those that have now paid have to compete with all those that didn't.
    Chalk it up to you get what you pay for. If you would like to pay more, you get the "dispute resolution" which doesn't even work efficiently all the time. If not, you take your chances here and try buying from "well-known" members.

I still don't understand why this thread is still going. The decision has been made, this place is not a democracy so people need to get over it. Once again, if you do not agree with the $2, don't sell here. It's that simple.

Leave a comment:

• Sprawl
    replied
    Originally posted by CubanPuckstoppr View Post
    I agree, with one exception. Any post containing the words Maple Leafs will incur an additional surcharge.
    do i look like i'm made of money!

Leave a comment:

• CubanPuckstoppr
    replied
    Originally posted by Sprawl View Post
    perhaps a per post charge? .10 every post..

we'll make it retroactive...
    I agree, with one exception. Any post containing the words Maple Leafs will incur an additional surcharge.

Leave a comment:

• Huntster
    replied
    People keep mentioning ebay and how it is more expensive. The thing they don't mention is that ebay has a dispute resolution option and some protections. They alos have a easy to see rating system.

Does this board offer any thing of the sort? Or will it in the future?

I know that nothing is going to change regardless of what we say but I think all the ads that were posted for free should be pulled. Doesn't seem to fair that those that have now paid have to compete with all those that didn't.
    Last edited by Huntster; 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sprawl
    replied
    perhaps a per post charge? .10 every post..

we'll make it retroactive...

P.S., i make joke. Just joke... rellllaxxxxxx
    Last edited by Sprawl; 01-24-2008, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• marvintpa
    replied
    I have an idea: why not charge people $10 to post in the Hot Stove forum? If they really wanna start a thread about religion or the price of gas on a *goalie* forum, make 'em pay.

Leave a comment:

• soulpatch
    replied
    Why is it perfectly acceptable for one hockey-businessperson to raise prices (see above) but not acceptable for another hockey-businessperson to do the same (see the rest of this thread)?
    Cuban - one key difference is that they did not start out giving away their mask for free for years then decide to instantly start charging.

If you would like to relate this to a service then I will relate it to blockbuster. I was on their total access plan similar to netflix. I was pulled from netflix due to the free instore returns for a new movie. Then about 8 months ago they raised the price on me by about $5. No problem for me as I think more people utilized the in store rentals then they thought and they started losing some money. But then about 4 months after the initial increase they raised my prices again by another $10 bascially doubling my price in the span of 6 months. I promptly ended my relationship with them and went back to Netflix.

I for one am not balking at the price as I almost never post things here as is so it will not come out of my pocket. The unfortunate thing though is that this is not a unique community like say Ebay which can get away with its pricing schedule. There are other boards who many here traffic. There is the abilty to post it up on Ebay and then throw up link here for free therebe hitting both markets of Ebay and here.

I think the bigger issue is where does this all stop. As I said in my previous post we had sponsors start here who were supposed to help offset the costs. Cool. Doesn't come out of my pocket and if anything there are some contests and special discounts given. Win win for most people. Wait no it wasn't since the method it was used we had some upheaval and lost some input by the likes of ******* and keekes (for a while at least).

Then we went on to charging the powersellers for their classifieds. Cool beans. They use it a lot and turn enough to possibly make the money for their sales fees when they get over 5.

But now we are going to set it to pay every time you post it up. Do we get free reposts if the item does not sell like on Ebay????? Not heard anythign about that. A lot of my older gear takes months to sell and normally a few ebay postings. There is a larger audience on Ebay and most of us on here check that site as much if not more then here for goods. It is life.

Many people on here in political threads and such are fast to point out slippery slopes but when it happens to something you are passionate about you seem to ignore it. This was not a gradual change over years as prices raised and such. This was over a VERY short period of time. That is what worries me. Will we continue down this path to be a money making type of institution? If so it is simply a redirect with the link to go to another free board where you can do everythign for free and has about the same layout as here. No real ties except for some of the archived material here........

It is that lack of ties and reason to stay on something that makes abrupt changes very dangerous......

Leave a comment:

• goalieworld35
    replied
    I remember the IP issue when it originally surfaced, it raised some questions about how far flung the “household” is, but if Sean is ok with it I have nothing further to add, and will step away from it.

If you are truly interested in the good of the board I will drop the issue, but here is what I truly don't understand

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equ...a-mask-thread-

Why is it perfectly acceptable for one hockey-businessperson to raise prices (see above) but not acceptable for another hockey-businessperson to do the same (see the rest of this thread)?
    PWNED!!!

Leave a comment:

• marvintpa
    replied
    I have no idea how many items get posted to the classifieds every day (I'm guessing someone will go count - chances are the current amount will drop due to the fee, likely more for the principal than the cost, but it's certainly not going to increase so whatever the current count is will be immaterial anyway).

How many ads have to be placed to make up for the bad press over this issue? Five classified posts a day? 10? Remember, if there are people who actually leave the board over it there will be a decrease in visitors and a corresponding decrease in ad revenue.

Keep in mind that the (latest) fee change will only affect the occasional seller and the heavy sellers (5 or more annually) were already paying.

In business is it rarely adviseable to pizz off your customers, even over small things which undoubtedly get blown out of proportion.

Leave a comment:

• CubanPuckstoppr
    replied
    Originally posted by #00 View Post
    Why would you care how much I sell here? This isn't about me, it's about what's best for the board. I didn't bring this up because it is going to greatly affect me, I brought it up because I feel there are better options to make money for the board. So I decided to share them and the owners can make their own judments on what they feel is best. No harm is making suggestions to try and help better the site, this is the SUGGESTIONS FORUM afterall. But I can't believe some of these posts from you guys, it's pretty ridiculous. If you don't like my idea's that's fine, it's not your call anyway. There is no need for anyone to say anything negative towards me for just trying to make this a better place. How much I sell or what I post about has nothing to do with anything I've said in here, just feeble attempts to try and derail the subject because no one can present any valid points as to why ad fee's should be the first option explored to raise money for the site. It's not like it is a common thing, I have never heard of a forum doing that. No one else does that so I feel that should be the last option explored, otherwise it might hurt the site. And if your going to bring up irrelevant stuff like you have, atleast be truthfull. Many of my post are not about a 'certain mask brand' like you say. Anyone can feel free to look through my post history if they like, that is just plain BS and I'm a little annoyed you would make a false claim like that.

And since you brought it up (like it's any of your business) yes, there are 2 people who have accounts in our houshould. We never once tried to deny or hide that. Put it in our damn sigs for all I care. Fact is we were both given temp bans with the quickness before we were even given a chance to explain. Since then things have been worked out and even cleared up enough to where Sean lets both of us sign up for for contests and stuff. So I have no idea why you think it's your place to say anything. Would you rather have 2 people posting under one name so you have no idea who the person posting is? If you have a problem with it talk to the owners, because according to them we are both fine to post as we like. But I assume this is just brought up because you (like others) really have nothing valid to say about the subject, so instead just bring up irrelevant stuff.

*EDIT*

This is going to be my last post to people who can't stick to the subject.

I remember the IP issue when it originally surfaced, it raised some questions about how far flung the “household” is, but if Sean is ok with it I have nothing further to add, and will step away from it.

If you are truly interested in the good of the board I will drop the issue, but here is what I truly don't understand

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equ...a-mask-thread-

Originally posted by #00 View Post
    I think they are probably raising prices because they have been offering their mask for less than what they should of been asking, just to get their name out. Think about it, not too many people are going to drop 400$ on a mask they have never heard of and don't know much about. So if they start them out around 250$ more people would be willing to give them a try at that price. And now that they are catching on and people know the quality they can start charging closer to what their worth. I wouldnt say at 100$ more it is as good a value as it was at the old price, but it is still fair for what your getting.

And are you sure they were even talking about the 2608 and not the new mask they plan to be releasing soon? My reasoning for the price increase seems reasonable but I don't know why you would want to release a new mask and then also charge more for the older one. Unless they just aren't making much money off them at that price.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X