X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $2 fee for Classified ads

Hello everyone,

A little under a year ago we installed a new classified ads system that is in use today. When it was setup, we offered all our members 5 free classified ads with additional ads costing $2.

Today I've been instructed by Paul to remove the free ad provision and set the system to charge a fee of $2 for each ad.

Right now we are using Paypal to process the fees and some people have had trouble completing the process. At the end of the paypal process there's a link that says 'return to merchant'. You must click on that link for your ad to get automatically posted. If your ad doesn't get posted please PM me and I'll get it up even if you miss the link.

In the next couple of weeks I'll have a new process in place that will be much simpler.

Thanks,
    Sean

Will all the ads that are currently running free of charge remain an ad, or will we have to pay the 2 dollars for it to show back up?

I saw this coming form when this first system was implemented. Either way you look at it, it is cheaper than going on ebay and its more direct to the consumer (goalies), and this board does need to generate the money to keep it running....

Comment

Buffay, I agree with you...with one exception that I'll touch on below...but I know full well this is going to start a whole world of whining as soon as people read this.

Now, the exception I see, and I'm not 100% sure on this either, is the "Yard Sale". Things that are not hockey related. As an example here: I have a PDA that I'm going to be selling as soon as I get around to taking some pics. Now, listing here at $2 is a lot cheaper than eBay, not arguing that. But what really is the likelihood that it will sell if I list it here? A lot less than if it's listed on eBay. Just thinking out loud....

Comment

Originally posted by buffay34 View Post
        Will all the ads that are currently running free of charge remain an ad, or will we have to pay the 2 dollars for it to show back up?
        Hi Buffay,

The fees will be charged for new ads only, the ones in the system will remain.

I'm also going to fix a bug that is preventing ads from expiring. We have ads posted that are nearly a year old. This will change so that ads expire in 60 days.

Thanks,
        Sean

Comment

Originally posted by MrMikeEMike View Post
          Buffay, I agree with you...with one exception that I'll touch on below...but I know full well this is going to start a whole world of whining as soon as people read this.
          There's a Five Dollar Fine for Whining.
          Last edited by CubanPuckstoppr; 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanPuckstoppr View Post
            There's a Five Dollar Fine for Whining.

Wha, wah, wah, wah, wah.......

Come and get me, sucka

Comment

I'm guessing this will *not* be popular, thereby making it a good reason for people to switch to other boards where there is no such fee.
              Please keep in mind not everyone has a PayPal account.
              Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by marvintpa View Post
                I'm guessing this will *not* be popular, thereby making it a good reason for people to switch to other boards where there is no such fee.
                Please keep in mind not everyone has a PayPal account.
                Just sayin.
                So you can't give a toonie to a friend who has one....? Problem easily solved. I know at least 15 people off of the top of my head I could get to at this very second to use their paypals.

I do agree that it will not be popular; however, I sincerely doubt people will switch over a $2 fee. If you can afford thousands in goalie gear, you can sacrifice your morning coffee for one day.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePM View Post
                  So you can't give a toonie to a friend who has one....? Problem easily solved. I know at least 15 people off of the top of my head I could get to at this very second to use their paypals.

I do agree that it will not be popular; however, I sincerely doubt people will switch over a $2 fee. If you can afford thousands in goalie gear, you can sacrifice your morning coffee for one day.
                  If a two dollar fee is killing your ability to make even a $50 sale then why sell at all?

Anybody without paypal can use me as an intermediary. Like ThePM said above I have a string of friends that would do the same for me.

Comment

but why pay for a service you can get for free elsewhere with bigger market?

craigslist
                    kijiji
                    other boards

just saying

Comment

Originally posted by Sprawl View Post
                      but why pay for a service you can get for free elsewhere with bigger market?

craigslist
                      kijiji
                      other boards

just saying
                      If it's worth selling there than why is it worth arguing about here?

This is the BIGGEST goalie to goalie market.

Craigslist is where you sell old bicycles, oral sex and that damn treadmill.

Comment

bj's on craiglist?

whats grouping is that under...

Comment

Originally posted by Sprawl View Post
                          bj's on craiglist?

whats grouping is that under...
                          Local services.

You didn't know Craigs listed prostitutes?

Comment

Originally posted by adavis View Post
                            Local services.

not a clue.

craig's list just gained +10 points of respect in my books

(not that i've ever planned on using one)

Comment

Originally posted by adavis View Post
                              Local services.

'

Among many other "adult services" that would make a sailor blush

Comment

Working...
                              X