Drilling holes in Boot / Cowling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling holes in Boot / Cowling

I have a pair of new Graf cowlings, and want to put a pair of my old Graf G50 boots on them, but the holes on the boots and cowlings don't line up. Is it better to drill new holes into the boot or the cowling?

I did this a few years ago with my old Goaler Pro 750 Grafs and I remember taking extra time to make sure my measurements were correct and drilling the cowling.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I searched around this forum, and found several people who drilled into the boot instead. I was also thinking that might be easier. But then I noticed the bolts/sockets in the Graf G50 boot are notched. Kind of hard to explain, but there are 2 "wings" on the sides of the socket holding them in the boot so that they don't spin around. If they weren't there, drilling the boot would be no problem, but this complicates it. I guess now I would have to drill into the cowling. I have to re-think my plans. Actually, I might just take it to the local pro-shop and let them do it, it might be worth the $20 or whatever just to make sure it's done right. I don't want to fk it up and have to throw them out, or manage it but then have my cowlings start wobbling in the middle of a game....

Comment

Originally posted by darkness99 View Post
        I did this a few years ago with my old Goaler Pro 750 Grafs and I remember taking extra time to make sure my measurements were correct and drilling the cowling.
        I bought new Graf cowlings a few years ago and kept my old boots. The shop I dealt with agreed to do the install as part of the deal. They drilled the cowling, not the boot. I've had no problems.

Comment

Had to drill both when I installed ODBs on my old pair of CCMs. Wasn't hard and don't think that drilling either the boot or cowling should be. Double stick tape to hold everything in place, hold it steady in a vice or clamp it, transfer punch to mark the center of the hole, and a drill (having one with a level is handy to make sure it is straight but you could always use an engineer's square for that or just eyeball it.

Comment

Respectfully, pay the extra X amount of dollars to get an experienced guy to do it rather than doing it yourself and potentially ruining the entire thing.

Comment

The nuts (socket) come out of the boot so that isn't a problem. I've done numerous cowlings at home and usually drill the boot and use the existing holes in the cowling. Never been a problem pretty simple to do as long as you have the right size bit for drilling the hole, you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X