My custom C/A project build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My custom C/A project build

Hey guys. First thread on here but long time lurker. So my Bauer Elite C/A is pretty beat up and tearing apart. It was already borderline strong enough for the calibre of shots I face but now I've been constantly getting bruised and what not. I Even had to play with players elbows under it due to deterioration and in never really fit right. Arms where to short, collar to low and the worst was the shoulders being to wide. Hence, I need an upgrade and a pro or custom chesty sounds great, but I cant digest the price right now with my young family and all. Now being a very hands on and manual guy, I figured i'd just build, replace and repair myself to a new custom C/A. Seriously...no need to laugh so hard! Lol. Just keep in mind I've done this to my catch glove before with success. Plus I have a little automotive upholstery and leatherwork experience with the tools that go with it, Some used gear to salvage stuff from, and new material as well. Plan is to have this done for my next game which is in five days and built to my specs.
    My beat up chesty

Write something...
    Last edited by SrSieve; 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I had to reread your post SrSieve to make sure it wasn't something I wrote. You have described my C/A. You can take a look in the show off your gear thread. It's only a few posts back.

Comment

That's funny. It seems like most of us are always tinkering with our gear. A couple times my wife has suggested that I just throw it away and get a different one, however, that would be too expensive and not nearly as much fun. It may be the engineer in me, however, I like the challenge of finding a solution on my own, with the stuff I have around the house. I forgot to add that I have also tweaked the elastic on the arm floaters to keep them in place. Prior to, they had stretched to where they hung too low and out of place.

Comment

Ok well finally some progress, I am playing tonight so I had to play it safe before going all crazy on the chesty. Everything that is red is what I have done. Took a little time getting used to the sewing machine again. I started with doubleing up the elbow blocks and making them a tad more mobile. The foam on the blocks was completely finished so it's all new now. I like the Bauer system so I stuck with that. Then I redid the elbow gard, beefing them up, and adding an elbow protector from a players elbow to help keep it centered with the bone. Arm is still to short and will be what I do next. More details will follow with some in-progress pics and before afters as well.

Comment

• WannabeGoalie
            WannabeGoalie commented
            Editing a comment
            dubrod: That looks great. It is inspiring. How did it function last night? Have to finish up my knee/thigh wrap/guards first. And considering I play so infrequently, I would probably be best to just leave things alone, but that's just not me.

SrSieve: The random looking piece of white elastic on mine looks horrible, but it has worked brilliantly since I made a quick fix, so I have just left it there.

• WannabeGoalie
            WannabeGoalie commented
            Editing a comment
            dubrod: That looks great. It is inspiring. How did it function last night? Have to finish up my knee/thigh wrap/guards first. And considering I play so infrequently, I would probably be best to just leave things alone, but that's just not me.

SrSieve: The random looking piece of white elastic on mine looks horrible, but it has worked brilliantly since I made a quick fix, so I have just left it there.

Well here's an update, started on the main chest guard and finished the back piece. For the chest part, I frankensteined it with parts from the Itech I had an with new foam blocks I made. I replaced the collar with a thicker one and added extra belly protection. As for the back piece, I am going with velcro and added a clip for my pants. The back piece is probably the nicest piece i've made so far but it took a while to plan it even if it seems simple.

Comment

Comment

Quick update, managed to finish the sides and the floaters, still need the heart guard and arms.

Comment

Here are some pics of the mods that I described above. The first pic shows the extra shoulder cap that I added from an old player chesty. When I have it on, it actually sits a little lower and to the front, however, the way the unit is laying on the ground has shifted it a bit. It is attached with a couple floater tabs. The second pic shows that I removed the built in elbow pads and added another protective pad with elastic floaters. This pad generally protects the area right above the player elbow pads that I wear under my CA. It also keeps the arm units from rotating around my arms. I found the pads at a Warrior Lacrosse warehouse sale for $1, so I picked them up. Figured I would find a use for them. The last one shows the bungee chord that I used to lace in the arms. I think those came off of an old backpack and they worked perfectly. I purposefully left some of holes open.

Comment

SrSieve, I dont know if it's the site but Unfortunately I cant see your pics Wanted to try it out so I attached my old Bauers right arm as mine wasnt finished yet. Fit great, didnt get caught on anything, didnt feel anything I shouldnt, super mobile, light and breathable. Suprised myself as I was expecting some issues here and there and ended up completely forgetting about it during the game.

Comment

did you sandwich any different foams on the C/A?? I would highly consider using a combination or LD and HD foams. I would also build some extra velcro in the arm floater, forearm, and belly area. In the insides in case you want to add re-inforcement afterwards, a la Simmons 997 style.

I would also highly recommend that you find a heart guard from a P1 or P4 C/A and add a bit of LD foam to that. They are pretty good.

Comment

And don't forget rib protection!!! I Would recommend using the RBK 11K C/A as a reference!

Comment

Working...
                      X