Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bauer Pro Chest Pad and pants

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bauer Pro Chest Pad and pants

    First review I've done in a while but I have had several requests to review the Bauer pro shorts and thought I would throw the chest pad with it

    Bauer Pro chest pad: 9.5/10

    This unit is a Tank. I have yet to feel any painful shots or stingers and I've play drop in with a JR. team and some former pro players. I have taken a couple in weird spots in the shoulder and hurt a little but those were just some weird 1/1000 shots.
    This chest pad is a little bulky with still very very mobile. This chest pad also has a lot of straps to let you fit the unit the way you want. it also has removable belly flaps if you want to make the unit a little shorter. Overall Ive had this chest pad 2 1/2 months and couldn't be happier. I highly recommend this chest pad

    This pic is when it was new


    Bauer Pro shorts: 9.5/10

    I got this pants for Christmas from my parents and have used them about 4 times. I got an XL and I'm 6' 3'' 190lbs. These pants are meant to be a little loose and allow room to tuck in the chest pad. I never never tucked in my chest pad but I decided to try it with these and now I will never play with my chest pad untucked again. Maybe it's because I have the the Bauer pro chest pad bu these two fit perfectly together. I cant find a spot on my body that's not padded and everything just feels more secure.
    I also love the built in knee pads this unit comes with. the completely cover your knee. the only down side is the don't completely wrap around, what I mean by this is when you butterfly your bare knee lands on the knee stack but your knee is still fully protected. I like them and have no issues but they can be removed.
    The internal belt is also a nice feature but I wish you can make it tighter.
    Overall I love these pants and highly recommend them.



    If anyone wants some more pics. Just ask and I'd be happy to take some







  • #2
    I picked up the Bauer Elite pants, which are the version just below the Pro pants. I've only used them once so far, but I have been very impressed with the mobility of the pants. They really don't get in the way while I skate and it feels like I can get my leg up into a better position to push off for backside recoveries. Like you, I've always worn my C/A out, but since these pants have a higher waistline and are designed for you to wear your C/A tucked. It worked well on Tuesday, but I'll see how it fairs over the next couple games. I'm facing some harder shooters tomorrow, so that should hopefully be a good test.

    I really like the pants so far, but I'll need to wear them a few more times before I can do a review.

    The Elite pants come with thigh guards instead of full knee protection, the thigh guards seem nice, but I already have thigh guards on my pads, so I took off the Bauer thigh guards for now. The full knee protection look interesting, does Bauer sell them seperately*?

    * I know Bauer sells knee guards, but I haven't seen any for sale with the velcro straps that you need to attach them to these pants.
    Last edited by Thiazi; 12-31-2010, 02:50 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      You said the knee pad is removable, is the middle piece on the leg (the part with the Bauer logos on both sides) removable as well? I'm looking for a super short pant for my super short thighs. If it's not made to be removable, does it look like it could be cut off in a hack job? Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Could you fix the stinger issue on the shoulders with some extra padding? What sized ca is that? Do you think you could have gone with a large set of pants instead? 190 6'3" doesn't seem like you'd be gut heavy.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've actually been pretty disappointed with my Pro Pants. Within the first two weeks I had them, the left knee and thigh (inside) ripped open from the inside. Then a few days later the crotch area ripped open as well. I wear a shell so the damage is hidden, but I'm still not too happy. I may just have a fluky pair, who knows. Other than the quality the protection is pretty damn good though.

          Comment


          • #6
            On the pants, I'm confused as to the orientation of the extended leg protection. From what it looks like to me, the higher, rounded flap that says Bauer on it will wrap around and protect the lower thigh and top of the knee (when down), while the lower, longer piece covers the front of the knee and upper shin (while standing). Since it doesn't wrap around, that longer piece leaves the sides of the inside of the knee open. Is that correct? For those that have the Elite pant, how does the extended protection differ?

            The reason I ask is I only have one area that I have problems with getting hit - the side of the top of the knee. If I go into a butterfly and a puck comes in at a strange angle, I will sometime get hit on the meaty part of the lower thigh/top of knee, to the inside of the kneecap. I wear thigh boards which protect from shots I am square to, these are just weird angled pucks getting through. I want to find a knee pad the will protect that are, but not much else. I don't want a full hard capped pad like the Revoke Pros or the 8800's. And, I don't need anything that adds buld protecting the sides or front of the knee. The PAW pads look to be a possibility, but I think the gap in them that allows them to bend is exactly where I am taking the pucks, making them obsolete. The other Revokes with the big thigh protector and minimal knee wing also look good, but I can't find them except for on here or ebay, making it difficult to return if they don't work. Also, I'd really like the Bauers because the pads are attached to the pant (my RBK 6K's dont have a tab in them). I find that to be a better arrangement. Really, I just need something that will cover the gap between the pants and pads and wrap around my lower thigh/upper knee without much else. I've tried thigh wraps, but found that I was still getting hit in the same place because they tapered outward as they went up from the pad, meaning they weren't wide enough at the attachment point, leaving my problem area still exposed.

            Comment


            • #7
              I went and picked up the pants today in a large. They definitely feel as if they have more protection than my medium Epic 8800s and they seemed built better than the Reeboks. The thigh shape is more rounded than both but i'm not sure that it matters at all. If it feels comfortable with my brown tucked in I'll write up a review, if not I'm probably going to return and look at the Reebok.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by PSULion22 View Post
                On the pants, I'm confused as to the orientation of the extended leg protection. From what it looks like to me, the higher, rounded flap that says Bauer on it will wrap around and protect the lower thigh and top of the knee (when down), while the lower, longer piece covers the front of the knee and upper shin (while standing). Since it doesn't wrap around, that longer piece leaves the sides of the inside of the knee open. Is that correct? For those that have the Elite pant, how does the extended protection differ?

                The reason I ask is I only have one area that I have problems with getting hit - the side of the top of the knee. If I go into a butterfly and a puck comes in at a strange angle, I will sometime get hit on the meaty part of the lower thigh/top of knee, to the inside of the kneecap. I wear thigh boards which protect from shots I am square to, these are just weird angled pucks getting through. I want to find a knee pad the will protect that are, but not much else. I don't want a full hard capped pad like the Revoke Pros or the 8800's. And, I don't need anything that adds buld protecting the sides or front of the knee. The PAW pads look to be a possibility, but I think the gap in them that allows them to bend is exactly where I am taking the pucks, making them obsolete. The other Revokes with the big thigh protector and minimal knee wing also look good, but I can't find them except for on here or ebay, making it difficult to return if they don't work. Also, I'd really like the Bauers because the pads are attached to the pant (my RBK 6K's dont have a tab in them). I find that to be a better arrangement. Really, I just need something that will cover the gap between the pants and pads and wrap around my lower thigh/upper knee without much else. I've tried thigh wraps, but found that I was still getting hit in the same place because they tapered outward as they went up from the pad, meaning they weren't wide enough at the attachment point, leaving my problem area still exposed.
                On the Elite Pants, the thigh guards cover the area from the lower thigh to about the top of my knee. They mainly cover the front of the thigh and they don't wrap all the way around like my Brian's thigh guards do. They're thicker and softer than the Brian's thigh guards and there is a pocket inside the thigh guard where you can presumably replace or add more padding.

                Edit: Here is a picture of the thigh guards. I can take some more later, but I'm leaving for open hockey in a couple minutes.
                Last edited by Thiazi; 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM. Reason: Added picture

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DayWalker37 View Post
                  You said the knee pad is removable, is the middle piece on the leg (the part with the Bauer logos on both sides) removable as well? I'm looking for a super short pant for my super short thighs. If it's not made to be removable, does it look like it could be cut off in a hack job? Thanks!
                  The thigh guards are removable. I'm 5'7 with fairly short thighs and I've been happy with the leg length on the pants so far.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Wong View Post
                    Could you fix the stinger issue on the shoulders with some extra padding? What sized ca is that? Do you think you could have gone with a large set of pants instead? 190 6'3" doesn't seem like you'd be gut heavy.
                    The shoulder padding is fine. I have just had a couple shots sneak in or I was squared up to the shot wrong. My chest pad is XL. I could have probably gone with a large but I like my pants to be looser and to be a little bigger

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DayWalker37 View Post
                      You said the knee pad is removable, is the middle piece on the leg (the part with the Bauer logos on both sides) removable as well? I'm looking for a super short pant for my super short thighs. If it's not made to be removable, does it look like it could be cut off in a hack job? Thanks!
                      The thigh parts that say BAUER are not removable but you could cut them if you really want to

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have the pants and i love them!!! Great protection and movement!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Internal Belt

                          I had the same problem in not being able to get the belt tight enough.
                          Simple solution: on the right side of the belt it's stitched to the padding. If you cut the 2 stitches you'll be able to tighten the belt as much as you need and still put the padded part under the belt where it belongs.

                          may sound a little confusing, can take pics if needed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks for the review. Could you post a pic of your knee when in the B-fly with the pants on?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Rett View Post
                              I had the same problem in not being able to get the belt tight enough.
                              Simple solution: on the right side of the belt it's stitched to the padding. If you cut the 2 stitches you'll be able to tighten the belt as much as you need and still put the padded part under the belt where it belongs.

                              may sound a little confusing, can take pics if needed.
                              I'll try that out. I didn't notice this the first time I used the pants, but it's been more apparent the past few times I've worn them. I still want to get a few more uses before I do a full review, but I am still very impressed by the pants and the protection and mobility have been great so far.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X