X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of my Sportmask Razor Ė a 6yr review

Last week, playing division 5 hockey, some little guy (5í 7Ē maybe) came in alone to the face-off dot to my left. Winds up at a good speed and shoots. I go down to block and the puck gets me square in the forehead. Make a few more awesome stops because Iím rad and then after the play, I decided to check my mask. There was a nice chip in the paint and it looked like my mask may have been seriously damaged.

It was probably the hardest shot Iíve ever taken to the head.

My wife bought me my sportmask razor for Christmas in 2004. She bought it from Dukeís in Toronto to replace my crusty old Brianís Kevlar mask.

I immediately sent pictures into sportmask to see if my mask could be assessed as there was a slight chance it may have simply been the clear coat damage. The pics werenít very useful (over-exposure white on black etc) and so I sent the mask into sportmask. I was hoping to hear the mask could be repaired but after removing the padding it looked to me like the mask had cracked all the way through. I still wanted an official verdict. The mask will now be destroyed.

Here are the main points.

I would estimate about that this mask was worn in close to 1,000 games. At least over 900. I did rental goalie in Toronto as well as playing for two teams and subbing a lot for pick-up sessions. I can easily add up my rental goalie games and suggest about 5 seasons of 22games/season (excluding play-offs) for winter and summer hockey.

Of these 1,000 games, I canít say that I got hit in the head a whole lot. Most of the scratches on the mask are from guys hitting me on the head with their stick to say ďgood saveĒ or something like that. Most shots that got me in the mask were to the chin. I had a large dent in my cage that I donít recall getting. I even got a replacement cage free, from Racer on this board (is he still alive?) which I never ended up using. So Racer, you can have your cage back or I will send it on to someone in need. One cateye sportmask cage.

I definitely donít think I was ever hit in the forehead more than handful of times. Iím usually good at ducking, or catching a puck coming for my face (I donít keep my hands low when in the butterfly at all times like Sloth might).

A few years ago, I put the maltese gel in my mask. That stuff is awesome and combined with the mask, I canít say that I ever felt a shot to the head other than a bit of a thud. No ringing, no pain, no lingering side effects. I was always able to keep right on playing like it was just another shot to my pads. With that aspect of the mask, I am more than happy.

However, as I said above, I canít recall getting hit in the area where my mask cracked more than a handful of times. Regardless of this being a 6yr old mask or being used in 1,000 games, in my mind, it failed after only a few shots (especially compared to the barrage that the Ricochet takes on the website). But maybe my expectations are too high?

My questions at the end of all of this are:

1. Is there a time of decay for masks (sportmask razors to be specific?). Should I expect that after 5yrs or so that the next big shot to the head will be the masks last?

2. Would I buy another sportmask? I guess that depends on value. At ~$600 ($550+tax) that was $100/yr spent on a mask. If I think that is good value than I would not hesitate to buy another sportmask razor. In fact, I might even go the T3 route as I am somewhat convinced that the more aggressive lines on the T3 would have deflected this shot better. The razor appears to have a larger forehead flat part than the T3. But then again, rarely getting hit in the head and not doing rental goalie anymore (i.e. much fewer games), why not go with the Richochet and save $100-$150? Or go with a different company all together.

Anyways, the end of this story is that I need to start looking into getting a new mask. I have a loaner from a friend until I can do that so thatís nice.

You see a lot of reviews and comments on this board saying how awesome this mask is or that mask (Iíve said it a few times myself). But until you decide to retire your mask or it cracks/fails, itís really hard to say how sweet something is. Upon reflection I still think this is a good mask. It would have been great if it didnít crack and it would have been nice that it cracked because it repeatedly taken abuse to the same spot.

Hope some of you find this useful.
    Attached Files

*Pours out 40 for a sportmask razor*

I'm on my second razor, love it.

Also, to have played 1,000 games in six years you would have had to play pretty much every other day without missing a beat for six years.

Comment

If the mask lasted you 6yrs/1000 games, and you never got hurt, then it did its job and was well worth the price...

Even the BEST mask can crack if hit with a good enough shot that happens to hit it in just the right spot... BUT, the mask did its job and you walked away fine from a shot that would have possibly KILLED you without a helmet...

Comment

Originally posted by gort View Post
        *Pours out 40 for a sportmask razor*

I'm on my second razor, love it.

Also, to have played 1,000 games in six years you would have had to play pretty much every other day without missing a beat for six years.
        As a rental goalie, you can get 3 games on a friday night and you don't have to leave the ice other than to move your bag from one dressing room to another.

Thanks for the 40, Homie.

Comment

Being a rental/rink rat makes playing that much easy, I get to skate 10+ times a week where I live. Does it annoy anyone else when other players tap your mask to say good save? I don't hit them in the head w/ my stick to say good pass or shot...

Comment

The mask owes you nothing after 6 years. Get another one and move on. I probably had about 500 games logged on my Ricochet and about 65 now on my Razor. Great masks.

If you think about how much abuse a mask takes over 6 years...hot/cold temp. changes, getting wet, banged around in the equipment bag, teammate sticks to the top of the head, banged around the ice, off posts etc. all those little things add up over 6 years.

Comment

That mask seems like a great buy for 6 years of good service and saving your brain from turning into LaPerriere. Sportmask is a good maker to buy from IMO. My T3 was one of the best buckets I've ever worn.

Comment

I haven't had any sportmask, but I would say like most of them here. If a mask sticks to you in 6 years and over 1000 games, it's worth the money and nothing to complain about.

He done his job for many years and deserve a proper funeral, and maybe a medal for long and loyal service

Just go on and buy a new one. It will probably last the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                  Being a rental/rink rat makes playing that much easy, I get to skate 10+ times a week where I live. Does it annoy anyone else when other players tap your mask to say good save? I don't hit them in the head w/ my stick to say good pass or shot...
                  BEST idea I heard all day!

Comment

If someone else doesn't need/claim the spare cat-eye, I'll take it off your hands and pay the shipping. From what I was told, the older Razor masks had slightly different cages than the newer ones, and a new Razor cage wont fit an older Razor.

Comment

Originally posted by hammbone View Post
                      As a rental goalie, you can get 3 games on a friday night and you don't have to leave the ice other than to move your bag from one dressing room to another.
                      You slut..

Comment

My original Simpson's paint themed Sportmask Razor mask is older than yours by 2 years and has been in far more than 1000 games, shinny tournaments. I've been clocked many times as I am older and slower than your superior skillset! I remember you were hit square in noggin during a game that we played against you as a rental years ago.....

Mine is still fine....I retired it last year to portrait duty....on the wall at home.

That being said, both of my T-3 masks haven't flinched since I've gotten them a couple of years back.

6 years is good value, Bud. You should see my Nephew's T-3. It looks like he's dragged it in back of the car at high speeds. Still protects perfectly. He's playing AAA hockey, he's had many more games, practices than most of us in the three years he has had it.

You see what happens when you move back to Vancouver and abandon your team. All hell breaks loose. It's kharma I tell you......the curse of "Reid".

Comment

After six years it gave up its life to save yours. It served honorably Ö if that can be said of an inanimate object.

Comment

Based on some of the responses here, maybe my review is being taken as a bad review. I'm not unhappy with my mask. It's just sad to lose a piece of equipment.

But I hope I gave everyone enough facts that you can judge for yourselves how good a mask it is. It got me through 6yrs and 1,000 games. Value is a bit of a subjective term in my opinion so I won't comment on that aspect of it.

Gasman's not incorrect that his razor is 8yrs old and is still in good working condition. I too recall that shot to the head, Gasman. In fact, I can recall almost all of them. But yes, I guess this sorts of stuff happens when you leave the team you've been most loyal too.

Also to note:
                            The cat-eye cage has been claimed already (assuming I don't get another sportmask).

The Maltese gel stays with me and goes into my new mask.

Comment

7 years in my original Mage and it's still in great shape. Only thing I've ever ha to replace was rusty screws. All the head shots I've taken with it and never had a single problem with an injury or the shell.

It's on my shelf of fame now. The only reason I switched to the Mage RS was that I had a great chance at upgrading. It's my backup now if I ever need it but I have every bit of confidence that my RS will last as long if not longer than my original.

My wife's Ricochet is also the same age as my Mage (well, she has gotten a few more months usage out of hers while I waited for mine) but hers is still going strong. And she's logged quite a bit of ice time in it, too.

If your mask lasted that long after all of that, it's more of a testament to it's worth, durability and reliability. That should definitetly be reason to by another.

Comment

Working...
                              X